New Way to Double Ramp?

Coach Thib (and anyone else interested),

Today, I figured out a different way to perform a double ramp. I felt incredibly locked-in with the movement and even the heavier weights seemed light. I figured I would post it here and see what everyone’s thoughts are.

The exercise used was front squats. I looped a resistance band onto each end of a barbell in the catches of a squat rack such that I could change the resistance on the bands by setting the spotting pins at different positions.

I would then do a set of squats, rack the bar, set the pins one notch higher (so that the resistance on the bands was greater) and perform another set. Then the spotting pin was brought to the original position, more weight was put on the bar and the process was repeated.

For example:

Set 1 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 1)
Set 2 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 2, more band tension)
Set 3 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 1)
Set 4 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 2, more band tension)
Set 5 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 1)
Set 6 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 2, more band tension)
etc…

There is a ton of other ways to do this. You could easily add 2 or 3 more positions to the spotting pegs or change the rep scheme around.

Let me know what you think.

[quote]Adam Schussler wrote:

Today, I figured out a different way to perform a double ramp. I felt incredibly locked-in with the movement and even the heavier weights seemed light. I figured I would post it here and see what everyone’s thoughts are.

The exercise used was front squats. I looped a resistance band onto each end of a barbell in the catches of a squat rack such that I could change the resistance on the bands by setting the spotting pins at different positions.

I would then do a set of squats, rack the bar, set the pins one notch higher (so that the resistance on the bands was greater) and perform another set. Then the spotting pin was brought to the original position, more weight was put on the bar and the process was repeated.

For example:

etc…

There is a ton of other ways to do this. You could easily add 2 or 3 more positions to the spotting pegs or change the rep scheme around.

[/quote]

I like this… I’ll try it out in 3 days. This is something I like to see, people taking the concepts I teach, making them their own and experimenting with them to find a way to improve on them.

I never cared who comes up with the effective training methods, I simply want to know them and apply them.

Good job.

Adam… like you mentioned, there are plenty of ways to experiment and apply the method. I really like your idea above! Also, Rack-outs for instance, could be done in the same fashion too. (And you could even add in another set by lowering the pin spot even lower as well, if wanting to triple ramp)

Example:

Set 1 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 2 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)
Set 3 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 4 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)
Set 5 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 6 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)

I am sure there are more guys that have ideas as well!!

Adam - I like that avatar.

Anyone else take the time to look up what it represents?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
Adam - I like that avatar.

Anyone else take the time to look up what it represents?[/quote]

Test. I likes it too.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Adam Schussler wrote:

For example:

etc…

[/quote]

I like this… I’ll try it out in 3 days. This is something I like to see, people taking the concepts I teach, making them their own and experimenting with them to find a way to improve on them.

I never cared who comes up with the effective training methods, I simply want to know them and apply them.

Good job.[/quote]

Thanks Coach. Let us know how it works out for you.

[quote]Italiano wrote:
Adam… like you mentioned, there are plenty of ways to experiment and apply the method. I really like your idea above! Also, Rack-outs for instance, could be done in the same fashion too. (And you could even add in another set by lowering the pin spot even lower as well, if wanting to triple ramp)

Example:

Set 1 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 2 - 135 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)
Set 3 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 4 - 155 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)
Set 5 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 2)
Set 6 - 175 x 3 (pin @ position 1, lower than position 2 for more ROM)

I am sure there are more guys that have ideas as well!![/quote]

Thanks Italiano.

I have a feeling your idea would work especially well for any sort of upper body pressing movement (overhead press, incline press, bench press, etc.). I’ll definitely give that idea a try when my shoulder is all healed up.

i might utilize this idea tomorrow. well done

Similar to this, I was thinking of a way to do a progressive ramp with paused exercises. Like, 2-3 second Paused Front Squat—>Regular Front Squat—>2-3second Paused Squat—>Regular Squat. Not sure how well this would work, but I’m planning on trying it on my next squat day.