New Training Template: Program Review

Hello CT,

Loved the new article and must say that the new template is awesome. I’m using this template as per your recommendations for the 4 day split in The Layer System article. I’m in the 8th week right now and repeating it twice with awesome results, had set new all-time PR’s in all lifts. So thank you for that.

Also I must note that the first time I did the new layer system was with 6 day split and by the last week I developed some achy joints but not this time around, also no rundown feeling. Not to mention that I’m sold on the 4 day weekly template.

Hence for my next training cycle, when I’m trying to recompose a bit, I’ll be using this new template. I’ve created a program for myself using strictly your recommendations, it’ll be very nice of you to take a look and review it. Here’s the plan

I’ll be training triceps with isolation work after both pressing workouts, but I’m confused about biceps as my back workout is already lengthy and I won’t have much energy after completing that. As biceps are my weak point, is there someway to sneak in a pure biceps and triceps workout in it. I want to try something like Mountain Dog Arms as my biceps really respond well to volume.
Thanks Again

Please also recommend how to approach cardio besides carries (Can’t really do carries in the gym due to crowd and limited space & equipment) in the template as quite possible it’ll be required towards the end of the program considering my recomposition goal. I was planning to alternate days of HIIT and LISS after workouts but as you noted in the other thread that cardio after weights is not a very good idea, I’m a bit confused here too.

CT, I attempted the back workout from the program you mentioned in the other thread for trial yesterday. I was surprised to find that by the end of workout I was not as wiped out as layers make me feel by the end, rather I felt I still have energy to work more. Now I’m going to use the same workout for a few weeks with only a little change in back workout. I had a very good experience with Power Cleans during the Athlete Lean Program to make me lean so I’ve decided to retain the rest of the program as it is with slight changes in assistance work.

Please take a look whenever you find time and make any recommendations if any. Here’s the program

Monday - DEADLIFT

A. Deadlift

B. Deadlift from deficit
4 sets of 3 reps

C. SGHP from the hang or blocks
4 sets of 5 reps

D. Pull ups
4 sets of 6-8 reps

E1. Seated rows
3 sets of 8-10 with 2 seconds hold

E2. Face pull or band-pull apart
3 sets of 12-15 reps
(E1 and E2 being a superset)

Wednesday - BENCH PRESS

A. Bench press

B. Wide-grip bench press with pause just above chest
4 sets of 4 to 6

C. Incline bench press
4 sets of 6 to 8

D1. Cable cross-over
3 x 8-10 reps

D2. Dips (no weight)
3 x max reps

D3. Push ups
3 x max reps

(D1 to D3 are a giant set)

E. Triceps work

Thursday - SQUAT

A. Back squat

B. Power clean + Front squat
4 sets of 2 power cleans + max reps front squats

C1. Leg extension
3 x 12-15 with 2 seconds squeeze at top

C2 Body weight Lunges
3X max reps

D1. Leg press / hack squat
3 x 10-12

D2 Bodyweight Squats
3 X Max reps

E. Biceps work

Saturday - OVERHEAD WORK

A. Power clean + Push press

B. Power clean from hang + Military press
4 sets of 3+3 (clean, press, clean, press, clean, press)

C. High incline DB press
4 sets of 6 to 8

D1. DB lateral raise
3 x 8-10 reps

D2. DB front raise
3 x 8-10 reps

D3. DB Arnold press
3 x 8-10 reps

(D1 to D3 are a mechanical drop set and use the same weight)

E. Triceps work

I had also decided to hold on the full arms workout for a while now till I decide to do specializing training for them, as I’m in a slight calorie deficit currently. But I’m still undecided about cardio. I’ll be definitely doing incline walks for about an hour on off days but don’t know where to sprinkle HIIT type cardio when needed as I’ll not be doing any carries. Is it okay to do them as a evening session on workout days 2 times a week or do them right after weights without over complicating things.