New Training Questions

CT,

thank you for your advice about low rep training. I really enjoy it to train at 3-5 reps. Actually it is more safe than high rep training and plain fun.

You mentioned in an old article that for force production three factors are important to improve: muscular, elastic, and reflexive.

As I understand, for the muscular part (contraction) you advice to start a lift from a ‘dead zone’ where the stretch reflex is inhibitated or to do an isometric contraction at the mid-range for a least 2 seconds to negate the reflex.

So if I choose an exercise for chest, this would be:

Elastic & reflexive: ballistic push-up
Contraction: floor press, bench press with 2 second isometric contraction at mid-range

As for the CNS activation, you recommand blast isometrics. Too bad I have just half racks in my gym. Do you have such other advices? Do you recommand yielding isometrics?
I thought to do just the concentric portion of ballistic push-up: I start from the floor and try to be as explosive as possible then I land on my hands and absorb the force as short as possible.

My Workout could look like this?

A) CNS Activation 2x3
B1) Ballistic push-up 5x3
B2) Bench Press 5x5
C) Bench Press 85% from last set for max

Do you still train in antagonist fashion?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
therajraj wrote:
CT,

I bought a pair of Fat Gripz and was wondering if I should have them on all the time during bicep work. Is there any benefit from alternating between fat and regular?

Yes there is. Any change in loading or apparatus will create a slightly different neurological demand. So doing both with be more effective. You could alternate fat vs. normal grip sets; do all fat grip on one day and all normal grip on the other one; or do one exercise with fat grips then the next with a regular grip.[/quote]

Thib,

A few other questions related to thick grip work…

While pulling or elbow flexion movements with thick grips might exacerbate any reptitive stress type issue in the hands and forearms, would it have the opposite effect of pressing and elbow extension movements with triceps exercises? I’d suspect that the increased surface area can definitely make things easier on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders with those types of movements.

My gym has both 2" diameter dumbbells and standard 1 and 1/16" dumbbells, as well as barbells of 2", 2.5", and 3" diameter (in addition to regular barbells). Would it be worth it to use the thicker bells exclusively for all dumbbell movements or would there be certain lifts where you’d suggest reverting to the standard grips? And with the barbells, do you see any issues with using all the different diameter bars at one time or another? I’m just wondering if you can try and get too much of a good thing by going with the 2.5" or even the 3" diameter bar instead of just sticking with the standard and 2" diameter bars.

I enjoy using the thick-grip equipment quite a bit and have been mostly training with that for a while now, which is why I wanted to see if this was a good idea or if I could run into problems by dropping regular grips.

[quote]AceVII wrote:
CT,

thank you for your advice about low rep training. I really enjoy it to train at 3-5 reps. Actually it is more safe than high rep training and plain fun.

You mentioned in an old article that for force production three factors are important to improve: muscular, elastic, and reflexive.

As I understand, for the muscular part (contraction) you advice to start a lift from a ‘dead zone’ where the stretch reflex is inhibitated or to do an isometric contraction at the mid-range for a least 2 seconds to negate the reflex.

So if I choose an exercise for chest, this would be:

Elastic & reflexive: ballistic push-up
Contraction: floor press, bench press with 2 second isometric contraction at mid-range

As for the CNS activation, you recommand blast isometrics. Too bad I have just half racks in my gym. Do you have such other advices? Do you recommand yielding isometrics?
I thought to do just the concentric portion of ballistic push-up: I start from the floor and try to be as explosive as possible then I land on my hands and absorb the force as short as possible.

My Workout could look like this?

A) CNS Activation 2x3
B1) Ballistic push-up 5x3
B2) Bench Press 5x5
C) Bench Press 85% from last set for max

Do you still train in antagonist fashion?[/quote]

I really like this workout. | am curious to se Thibs opinion of this… And how to use it in a split, to do the cns activstion exercise for each body part?

Hey CT I read in a precision nutrition article you had plans to write specialization books for each bodypart. I was wondering if you still had the intention to release those books and when could I expect one on legs because big wheels are in big demand. Thank you.

Serd wrote:
Hey Coach,

I’m trying to put together an Upper/Lower body split with goals to increase strength and size. However, after hours and hours of searching and reading, I cannot find or formulate of my own, a proper plan of periodization to reach my goals. I really would appreciate any of your advice. I was thinking about choosing either a traditional linear or alternating periodization model, but not sure if either is an optimal method to choose.

Thanks for your time.

Serd

I don’t believe in periodization in the traditional meaning of the term. I just did an interview with Nate Green explaining my view point, it should ‘air’ shortly.

But basically I think that any system attempting to control and predict the athlete’s physiological state for many months in advance is flawed.

Your physiological state changes from day to day, it is thus impossible to predict exactly what amount and type of training will be required to stimulate gains (basically modifiying the physiological state) and not overstress the body (especially nervous, hormonal and immune systems).

I believe that we should know where we want to get, what general plan we’ll use to get there and which methods to use for each phase. But the day to day work needs to be autoregulated to make the best use of the evolving physiological state of the athlete.[/quote]

thanks Coach for your thorough reply. I have taken what you said and will be experimenting with an Undulating Periodization model for Upper/Lower body workouts.

During the periodization, would I be taking full advantage of this system by having two different upper/lower body workouts and each week devote it to a different rep scheme, or just use the Same upper/lower body workouts and use different schemes during each week.

For example:

Week 1:
Upper body workout A (6x4)
Lower body workout A (4x8)

Upper body workout B (6x4)
Lower body Workout B (4x8)

Week 2:
Upper body workout A (3x12-15)
Lower body workout A (6x4)

Upper body workout B (3x12-15)
Lower body workout B (6x4)

Week 3:
Upper body Workout A (4x8)
Lower body Workout A (3x12-15)

Upper body Workout B (4x8)
Lower body Workout B (3x12-15)

or…

With the same upper/lower body workouts:

Week 1:
Upper body A (6x4)
Lower body A (4x8)

Upper body A (again…) (6x4)
Lower body A (again…) (4x8)

Then Week 2: Do a different rep scheme for the same two upper/lower body workouts.

Thanks CT.

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
Hey CT I read in a precision nutrition article you had plans to write specialization books for each bodypart. I was wondering if you still had the intention to release those books and when could I expect one on legs because big wheels are in big demand. Thank you.[/quote]

Not really. I would love to, but I have too much on my plate right now.

[quote]toots27mkc wrote:
Hey Christian

Ive been lifting for almost a year. I love your advice and articles. Biotest products are also the best. I just have one question…

My clean numbers are almost on par with my bench numbers. This doesn’t bother me but seems like a high clean or a low bench to me, especially compared to my peers(benchers.) I barely bench anyways, I prefer the other presses. What are your thoughts on these numbers?

body weight: 155-160
bench: 165x5
clean: 155x5[/quote]

There is no correlation between the clean and bench. They are not using remotely the same muscle groups and thus rely on different levers.

Individuals with perfect bench levers normally have poor clean levers.

In a well balanced individual cleaning 70-80% of the bench is pretty much the norm. But this will vary greatly depending on technical efficiency.

CT,

Would there be a point to nuerally excite the nervous system with a movement prior to the movement performed with rachet sets or would the single rep done with explosive intent be sufficient prior to each set of 3 reps?

my chest development has definitely slowed down. i’m considering doing a week with just fly movements for every set with dips included and then a week with only press movements to spark some growth. switch it up every week for 4 weeks. what are your thoughts on this? typically i intertwine them all.

Coach ,
Whats your take on “hardgainers” or people who don’t recover aswell as others, what would be a good approach to training in that case…
What do you think about those “hardgainer” rotuines by Stuart McRobert, if you;ve read them … its something like
day1
bench press variation 2-3x6-8
Dumbell bench varaition 2x10
Lateral raises/shoulder press 2x10
Tricep extension -2x10

DAy 2
Squat 2x6-10
P-chain move 2x10
Row 2x6-8
curl 2x10

Thanks!

hey thib!

is the clean&press a good cns activator or should i just stick to the clean OR the presses apart instead of combined? … i’m trying to put a new shoulder workout together after not having trained shoulders on an extra day since january

which press do you advice more for cns activation, the muscle or the push-press ?

did i get the idea right, of getting the NS ready by doing for example a 5 3 1 wave and after that doing dumbell presses in the rep range of 5-8 for about 5 sets ?

and how often do you use slow negatives, as i watched you last videos there wasn’t much of that to see, how important is the 3 to 4 sec negative really for hypertrophy goals ?

Hi coach,

nice vid! But like you said, “the regular gym owner…” wouldn’t be pleased lol. And it’s nice to see all the concepts come together, like the training density one. You almost don’t rest at all!

Do you have some updates about when the I Bodybuilder will be released?

Thanks!

Thib, do you use pull-up variations as back builder or potentiator with your current methods like partials, isometrics, etc., or this movement is actually suitable to perform only traditionally with full ROM and everything ?

[quote]Thy. wrote:
Thib, do you use pull-up variations as back builder or potentiator with your current methods like partials, isometrics, etc., or this movement is actually suitable to perform only traditionally with full ROM and everything ?[/quote]

There are two techniques that I use with pull-ups: antagonist co-contraction and twitch reps. But for the later you must be strong enough to be able to do at least 15 pull-ups. If that is not the case I use those techniques with a lat pulldown.

[quote]gyakujujijime wrote:
Hi coach,

nice vid! But like you said, “the regular gym owner…” wouldn’t be pleased lol. And it’s nice to see all the concepts come together, like the training density one. You almost don’t rest at all!

Do you have some updates about when the I Bodybuilder will be released?

Thanks![/quote]

Considering that this was filmed AFTER we shot I, BODYBUILDER it should be up shortly.

[quote]padrinho wrote:
hey thib!

is the clean&press a good cns activator or should i just stick to the clean OR the presses apart instead of combined? … i’m trying to put a new shoulder workout together after not having trained shoulders on an extra day since january

which press do you advice more for cns activation, the muscle or the push-press ? [/quote]

For shoulders activation I would stick to the push press, military press twitch reps or military press blast isometrics. The complete clean and jerk causes too much fatigue which decrease the effect of the activation.

[quote]padrinho wrote:
did i get the idea right, of getting the NS ready by doing for example a 5 3 1 wave and after that doing dumbell presses in the rep range of 5-8 for about 5 sets ? [/quote]

That’s one way of doing it, not the best one and not the one that I would use, but it would probably work if you ramp up the weight for the stimulation sets.

[quote]padrinho wrote:
and how often do you use slow negatives, as i watched you last videos there wasn’t much of that to see, how important is the 3 to 4 sec negative really for hypertrophy goals ? [/quote]

I often use yielding isometrics (holding a weight) which is essentially a mega-slow eccentric. But rarely do I force myself to execute the eccentric slowly. I do use this approach when doing 2/1 technique exercises (e.g. leg curl concentric with both legs, eccentric with one leg).

[quote]kaoticz wrote:
Coach ,
Whats your take on “hardgainers” or people who don’t recover aswell as others, what would be a good approach to training in that case…
What do you think about those “hardgainer” rotuines by Stuart McRobert, if you;ve read them … its something like
day1
bench press variation 2-3x6-8
Dumbell bench varaition 2x10
Lateral raises/shoulder press 2x10
Tricep extension -2x10

DAy 2
Squat 2x6-10
P-chain move 2x10
Row 2x6-8
curl 2x10

Thanks![/quote]

Without knowing how to train no routine will work. If you know how to train everything non-idiotic will work.

To me, knowing how to train is knowing how to autoregulate, how to do perfect reps each time (controlled eccentric, explosive concentric or as fast as you can) and how to activate the nervous system prior to doing the stimulation work.

[quote]pain is gorgeous wrote:
my chest development has definitely slowed down. i’m considering doing a week with just fly movements for every set with dips included and then a week with only press movements to spark some growth. switch it up every week for 4 weeks. what are your thoughts on this? typically i intertwine them all. [/quote]

Work you chest 3x a week for a month. Vary the exercise at every workout. Reduce the amount of training you do for shoulders and triceps to compensate for the increase in chest work.

[quote]jezza01 wrote:
CT,

Would there be a point to nuerally excite the nervous system with a movement prior to the movement performed with rachet sets or would the single rep done with explosive intent be sufficient prior to each set of 3 reps?[/quote]

Not necessary. Start the ratchets on the lower end (around 80%) and add 10-20lbs per ratchet (up to 30lbs on big movements). Focus on acceleration. Add ratchets as long as you can complete the sets.

For example:

Set 1: 200lbs x 1
Set 2: 200lbs x 3
Set 3: 220lbs x 1
Set 4: 220lbs x 3
Set 5: 240lbs x 1
Set 6: 240lbs x 3

If that last set was solid, add a fourth ratchet…

Set 7: 260lbs x 1
Set 8: 260lbs x 3

If that was solid you can add a fifth ratchet… etc.

Stop when you start to grind your reps.

Always accelerate as much as the weight allows.

Thy. wrote:
Thib, do you use pull-up variations as back builder or potentiator with your current methods like partials, isometrics, etc., or this movement is actually suitable to perform only traditionally with full ROM and everything ?

There are two techniques that I use with pull-ups: antagonist co-contraction and twitch reps. But for the later you must be strong enough to be able to do at least 15 pull-ups. If that is not the case I use those techniques with a lat pulldown.[/quote]

Can you describe these techniques as to position where to twitch, and also how to do “antagonist co-contraction”.

What about pull-up drop and catch ? Would these be any good as to activating the CNS ?