T Nation

New Training, New Diet, Does Everything Look Good?

Hey guys, I’m new here and I’m just sort of reading everything over. Ok so my friend recomended me to get this “starter package” type thing from gnc ( www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3321734&cp=2167077.2325087 ) to gain muscle and loose fat. After getting it, I started reading T-Nation and it may not be the “best” but after doing a little research it is decent and I’m going to use it since I cannot return it and i don’t want to waste my money. I also have a zero-carb protein shake (isopure, for dieting purposes, I’ll talk more about it later)

Anyway as far as training I was thinking about using the velocity 3.0 beginner training. I have been off weightlifting and training for around 8 months so I am going to start with this and see how it goes.

When it comes to dieting I’m going something like this:
-Zero-carb protein shake for breakfast with a bannana
-Whole wheat tortilla wrap (with like turkey and lettuce and other veggies)
-Some type of chicken breast and veggies and salad for dinner
-Zero-carb protein shake around 8
-Snacking on raw almonds between meals
I should be eating around 40g of carbs (not including carbs in veggies and stuff) and around 200g of protein from shakes

Facts about me:
height: 5’ 11"
weight: 240

Can I get some input on this? Thanks

Why does it have to be a zero carb shake if you’re takiung it with a banana? If zero-carb protein powder is more expensive or something, that would be a waste.

You need more fat in your diet at least - oops, just noticed the almonds. Be careful about snacking on them tho, easy to loose track of how much you’re eating.

Compared to the pretty radical V-Diet you are eating way less:
Component / Day Non-Workout Workout
Calories 1,800 2,130
Protein grams 280 306
Fat grams 46 46
Carb grams 74 125
Fiber grams 30 30

You need more food, even if you’re dieting :wink:

Sorry I forgot to mention I’m 19 and in college.

Well it doesn’t have to be a zero-carb shake, i just happen to have it and it is almost full so I don’t want to waste to so I was trying to incorporate it in.

As for the almonds I have a 1 lb. pack separated into 1 oz. packets so its east to keep track and take with me.

Hmm well I probably need more food, but I’m never really hungry. I eat a snack every couple hours (maybe some almonds, a bannana or apple or something). Should I just add in a couple more protein shakes a day?

That stack looks like a rip off to me. Get some bulk whey instead.

[quote]sm0k3d wrote:
Hey guys, I’m new here and I’m just sort of reading everything over. Ok so my friend recomended me to get this “starter package” type thing from gnc ( www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3321734&cp=2167077.2325087 ) to gain muscle and loose fat.

After getting it, I started reading T-Nation and it may not be the “best” but after doing a little research it is decent and I’m going to use it since I cannot return it and i don’t want to waste my money. I also have a zero-carb protein shake (isopure, for dieting purposes, I’ll talk more about it later)

Anyway as far as training I was thinking about using the velocity 3.0 beginner training. I have been off weightlifting and training for around 8 months so I am going to start with this and see how it goes.

When it comes to dieting I’m going something like this:
-Zero-carb protein shake for breakfast with a bannana
-Whole wheat tortilla wrap (with like turkey and lettuce and other veggies)
-Some type of chicken breast and veggies and salad for dinner
-Zero-carb protein shake around 8
-Snacking on raw almonds between meals
I should be eating around 40g of carbs (not including carbs in veggies and stuff) and around 200g of protein from shakes

Facts about me:
height: 5’ 11"
weight: 240

Can I get some input on this? Thanks
[/quote]

You are going to starve yourself, lower your T, and pack the fat on the first time you ‘binge’ a bit. Which, by the way, will be soon.

You are 19 and 240–granted you are trying to lose some weight–and you are going to survive on what appears to be less than or around 2000 cals. Try to throw in one more meal or something productive after your workout.

I didn’t even look at the ‘stack,’ but I’ll tell you now, you don’t need it. It amazes me that people aren’t willing to put even 6 mos. into training and proper diet before they even consider supplementation.

It won’t go to waste sitting on your cupboard. It has probably been on their shelf at least that long. Get your plan in place and implement it for at least 6 mos and see where you went. Then adjust accordingly for another 6 mos.

THEN, maybe, look at the products your purchased and see where they fit into your goals and plans.

[quote]sm0k3d wrote:
Sorry I forgot to mention I’m 19 and in college.

Well it doesn’t have to be a zero-carb shake, i just happen to have it and it is almost full so I don’t want to waste to so I was trying to incorporate it in.

As for the almonds I have a 1 lb. pack separated into 1 oz. packets so its east to keep track and take with me.

Hmm well I probably need more food, but I’m never really hungry. I eat a snack every couple hours (maybe some almonds, a bannana or apple or something). Should I just add in a couple more protein shakes a day? [/quote]

from what i have read, less than 50g of carbs is likely to result in micronutrient deprivation. since a banana is 28g, i am sure you are just doing the math wrong.

but try to eat veggie or fruit with some protein such as cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, or 3oz lean meat (3oz is the size of a deck of cards) as snacks between meals.

you need fat. it’s called essential for a reason =) maybe start your day with some eggs and cheese, with spinach and salsa. yum yum. and slather on some avacado. and, in my opinion, eat meat rather than shakes. could continue to use those as part of your breakfast and then also as post workout nutrition.

consider twice a day dosing of fish oil.