New topic title here

Is the consensus that these kinds of posts actually are trolls, or are they legitimate?

This one is stretching credibility… There’s not just the name, but it’s got all the right elements: he’s very skinny and yet wants to lose fat, he is afraid of accidentally getting too big, he actually posts a picture of Pitt in Fight Club…

It is hard to believe that so many young men are all coming to a bodybuilding site, all extremely skinny, and all wanting to lose weight. I know having a distorted body image and screwed up sense of masculinity is increasingly common, but is it really THIS common?

One strange element is that he said it “took a ton of Googling” to find the Pitt picture… and yet I just did a Google search for “brad pitt fight club” and that picture was on the first page.

There we go.

And to the above poster - not everyone comes to the site wanting to get skinny!

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
Be sure not to overestimate the physiques of celebrities… Therefore, don’t put much stock in the way they got there and don’t limit yourself.[/quote]

Everyone knows celebrity workouts are full of shit :slight_smile:

What is up with guys weighing 140lbs and thinking they are fat? This has to be some emo kid wave that is sweeping the world. I think this is the fourth or fifth topic in the last two or three days with guys weighing under 150lbs thinking they are fat.

Hey, there are a lot of workout programs that you can follow to get in better shape without trying to look like a linebacker. You should check out: www.OnlineMuscleReview.com/sawyerclan for information that will help.

[quote]jimmytoo wrote:
Hey, there are a lot of workout programs that you can follow to get in better shape without trying to look like a linebacker. You should check out: www.OnlineMuscleReview.com/sawyerclan for information that will help.[/quote]

or there are tons of great programs and info right here on this site for free…

:confused:

[quote]Mike Benfield wrote:
Is the consensus that these kinds of posts actually are trolls, or are they legitimate?

This one is stretching credibility… There’s not just the name, but it’s got all the right elements: he’s very skinny and yet wants to lose fat, he is afraid of accidentally getting too big, he actually posts a picture of Pitt in Fight Club…

It is hard to believe that so many young men are all coming to a bodybuilding site, all extremely skinny, and all wanting to lose weight. I know having a distorted body image and screwed up sense of masculinity is increasingly common, but is it really THIS common?[/quote]

I think most of them are trolls. They are new accounts and they all fit the same pattern.

Wrong. These are a bunch of kids that have spent way too long being coddled by mom, never playing out doors, eating box after box of cereal and oreos. these are soft kids and they all find T-Nation cus you can find it within 2 minutes of Googling anything that has to do with strength, fitness, muscle, blah blah blah.

These are all a bunch of kids thinking a chat rooom forum will have all the answers. They are searching for an easy way most of the time. It is sad, but that is America.

When I saw that an ideal physique link was posted I immediately thought Brad Pitt because of the history of the Fight Club physique on T-Nation and I almost shit when i clicked on it. What are the odds? Very good I suppose.

[quote]Eb4evr wrote:
Wow. That’s a lot of information.

Anyways, I’m not looking to look ‘pretty’. I’ve just been out of shape for a really long time, and I’ve always just been considered the fat kid. I guess that’s why it’s such a big deal for me to be cut, you know?

Someone sent me a private message asking what I meant by ‘fit’, as in, fit for what? To be honest, I’m not interested in any sports, but I’m very interested in parkour. I used to dabble in it about four years ago, but I could never do anything big because of my shape, so I’d really love to start doing it.

I came to this site for advice, though, just from recommendation. I’m sorry if it’s the wrong place for me to come, but there really does seem to be some great information posted so far.

And to those saying I’m a troll. Um… Yeah. Please don’t pollute my thread with that kind of crap. I’m sorry I have a slightly similar name, because two of the letters somehow form an acronym that’s the same as a troll’s name. I’m just using this name because it’s an old screen name of mine from when I was around the age of 10, and I’m using it because I don’t want anyone that I know to do a google search of any current names I use and find me on here. Sorry, but I find those pictures very embarassing.

To everyone else: Thank you very much. [/quote]

I agree with everyone here. You need to start eating and traning properly. The ABHP program would be great for you. Wouldn’t you rather go back to school 10-15lbs thicker and heavier(im talking muscle, not 15lbs to the gut)? Actually fill out a t shirt, have the ladies hanging off your new “guns” and then, with some new muscle, diet down to your desired body fat%?

Quick story. I used to look similar to you (about 7 years ago). 6’4" 185lbs, skinny with a gut. I thought id look good ripped. I starved myself down to 9%bf at about 170lbs. I didn’t get ripped, I looked like shit, like a walking skeleton and was weak as hell. I finally realized my errors and trained to add some weight.

At 200lbs (4 solid months later), There was a HUGE improvement, in appearance, strength and confidence. At my height 200 was by no means big, but compared to what I was I looked like a different person. I should have done that from the start.

Youre 140 at 5’9" right now. You’d look great at 160-170lbs. Take the rest of the summer as a time to focus on gainig at least 10-15lbs of solid muscle. You wouldnt look like a linebacker, just a well built “ripped” kid (assuming you kept your bf in check). And then, if anyone is still calling you the fat kid, use your new muscle to knock them the fuck out.

Thanks a lot Tri-fecta. I’m glad you get where I’m coming from. I’m not on here to lose weight or anything. I’m here to get some muscle and cut my body fat. I want to get rid of that gut and stuff like that. And I didn’t google Brad Pitt to get that picture. I don’t remember what I googled. I was just looking for a picture of something I’d like to look like myself. Hell, I didn’t even know that was Brad Pitt until someone told me on aim.

I’ve gotten a TON of information, but I’m gonna look through all of it and just try to pick one.

Also, you guys said that building muscle and not doing cardio will get rid of my fat, but I really just… I want to do cardio. I want to be able to run for extended periods of time and just not be completely dying. Will running every day somehow impact my muscle gain and fat loss?

I’m gonna try this ABHP (ABBH) program , but not yet. It goes by things to do daily, and I just cant do that right now, because I’ll be leaving town in a week, for a week. But I’ll definitely start on it when I get back. Until then, I’ll just continue doing my “do everything in the gym until i can’t” thing I’ve been doing every day.

The only reason I’m a bit wary of getting fat on the way on this… Is because I’ve got this swim party around the end of august. I’d just really like to look great for that and be confident, instead of carrying all of this fat.

Anyways, an important question; what does this exactly mean?

Load: 80% of 1RM

Thanks.

[quote]Eb4evr wrote:
Thanks a lot Tri-fecta. I’m glad you get where I’m coming from. I’m not on here to lose weight or anything. I’m here to get some muscle and cut my body fat. I want to get rid of that gut and stuff like that. And I didn’t google Brad Pitt to get that picture. I don’t remember what I googled. I was just looking for a picture of something I’d like to look like myself. Hell, I didn’t even know that was Brad Pitt until someone told me on aim.

I’ve gotten a TON of information, but I’m gonna look through all of it and just try to pick one.

Also, you guys said that building muscle and not doing cardio will get rid of my fat, but I really just… I want to do cardio. I want to be able to run for extended periods of time and just not be completely dying. Will running every day somehow impact my muscle gain and fat loss?

I’m gonna try this ABHP (ABBH) program , but not yet. It goes by things to do daily, and I just cant do that right now, because I’ll be leaving town in a week, for a week. But I’ll definitely start on it when I get back. Until then, I’ll just continue doing my “do everything in the gym until i can’t” thing I’ve been doing every day.

The only reason I’m a bit wary of getting fat on the way on this… Is because I’ve got this swim party around the end of august. I’d just really like to look great for that and be confident, instead of carrying all of this fat.

Anyways, an important question; what does this exactly mean?

Load: 80% of 1RM

Thanks.[/quote]

80% of 1RM means 80% of your 1 rep max on that particular lift.

Here’s what I would do. You’re not fat now, you won’t get fat if you follow a sound nutrition plan. You will put on a little bit along the way but by no means should you be getting “fat.” Personally, Id much rather be 230lbs at 15% bf than 180lbs at 5% if you get me (plenty of ladies think the same way)…

Go to the T-Nation store and get Metabolic Drive Complete. It will provide you with quality proteins, fats and carbs. That can be a staple to help you reach your caloric needs. Read up on the info given to you in regards to diets also. Pick one that focuses on gainig mass that also sounds reasonable to you. Dont be shocked by your calorie needs, I was eating 6000 a day at one point. You may have to force feed yourself until you get used to it.

Figure out your caloric needs and start from there. Avoid sweets, sodas, sugar, donuts etc and crap like that. Shoot for whole grain foods (oatmeal, whole wheat bread/pasta, brown rice), veggies and fruits for carbs/fiber and meats/cottage cheese/Metabolic Drive Complete for protein. Look to olive oil, nuts (organic peanutbutter is good), flax and fish oil for fats.

If you want to do small ammounts of cardio, go ahead. I wouldn’t do it every day though. You want your calories for packing on muscle, not for burning off during cardio sessions.

Everyone is different, but its usually fairly easy for a beginner to put on a good 10-15lbs of muscle in a couple months-provided they take things seriously. I put on 30lbs in four months when I first started lifting. But it all comes down to how serious you are. No cheating, no missing meals, no excuses. That attitude is essential. Use your pool party as motivation every day to stick with it. So…get your ass in a gym and get to work!

This guy is one of the worst trolls I’ve seen.

I live in Romania (Europe) and I’ve yet to see skinny guys wanting to look like Brad Pitt. Some still think they carry a couple of extra pounds though.

I just really can’t understand how any man (or better said “kid”) would want to get skinnier. I think the majority of them are trolls (if not all).

Maybe if people simply ignored these people, then they wouldn’t keep coming back with different accounts, stupid questions etc. If no one answers them they will either give up or go somewhere else, or actually bother reading and searching (yeah right).
If they aren’t trolls then they look for the info themselves.

[quote]
Also, you guys said that building muscle and not doing cardio will get rid of my fat, but I really just… I want to do cardio. I want to be able to run for extended periods of time and just not be completely dying. Will running every day somehow impact my muscle gain and fat loss?[/quote]

Yes. :slight_smile:

Listen, I ran four years of Cross country in high school (two of them on varsity) and I actually lost weight after my career ended and I put all that effort into lifting. Why? Because lifting, believe it or not, burns more calories than running.

According to a 1998 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a cardio-based workout (subjects jogged) elevated your metabolism during the workout, but as soon as the workout ended, so did the burn.

By contrast, lifters who worked for 90 minutes had metabolisms raging at 60% higher than normal as long as 16 hours after they put the weights down (you might want to wait a while before training for 90 consecutive minutes, but you get the idea). In case you’re a little rusty on your physiology, this kind of feedback loop for fat loss is freggin’ crazy.

Now, I have to say, if you want to run, nothing will make you better at it than running. However, after four years of cross country, all I have to show for it are some bruised ankles that don’t let me run more than 30 minutes anymore, and after two years of lifting, I have 15-inch biceps and a small entourage. (the ankle thing isn’t just anecdotal either, running injuries are far more likely than lifting injuries).

So, do what you want. I know some great athletes who run to get in shape. To me though, it sounds like you should save that running energy for some squats.

[quote]Eb4evr wrote:
Forever_Failure wrote:

I live in Romania (Europe) and I’ve yet to see skinny guys wanting to look like Brad Pitt. Some still think they carry a couple of extra pounds though.

I just really can’t understand how any man (or better said “kid”) would want to get skinnier. I think the majority of them are trolls (if not all).

Maybe if people simply ignored these people, then they wouldn’t keep coming back with different accounts, stupid questions etc. If no one answers them they will either give up or go somewhere else, or actually bother reading and searching (yeah right).

Harsh, harsh post dude. I don’t remember posting that I wanted to get ‘skinnier’. I believe that I said that I wanted to cut some body fat and put on some muscle. Don’t quote me though. Anyways, that was my intent.

And yeah. I’m not a troll. I have looked for info myself. Do you realize how much information there is out there? I’ve found SO much information claiming to the best thing or whatever. I don’t want to waste time doing one thing, when there’s something better that I could be doing. You know what I mean?

That’s why I came here, so I could get some real opinions from real people instead of from an article trying to sell its thing. I just wanted to find the most effective thing that I could do.

Anyways… All of that aside…

I’m gonna try to run a mile or so a day. I love to run, and if I want to do parkour and be good at it (Which I really want to do again), I’ve got to be able to run for extended periods. Right now I can’t make it half a mile without getting a stitch in my side for some reason… My legs still feel fine though.

Also, I read that you should run before you work out, because it gets your heart rate elevated before hand, and that’s helpful… for some reason.

One more thing. Should I buy creatine? I looked at the label… And 50g of protein… and 45g of carbohydrates? I’m just so worried about putting on fat. Is there a way to cut this fat I have AND put on muscle at the same time?

I’m at 16% bodyfat, and I’d love to get down to 12%
[/quote]

I’m sorry but you’re starting to sound like ex-girlfriend who was as thin as a pole, with that in mind, you can’t build muscle without a surplus of calories and you can’t lose bodyfat without eating less than you burn caloric wise. You don’t muscle nor fat, that little piece of flab is more or less skin.

Go eat and lift heavy stuff if you want to pack of muscle weight otherwise stick to you’re running thing.

[quote]Eb4evr wrote:
Forever_Failure wrote:

Harsh, harsh post dude. I don’t remember posting that I wanted to get ‘skinnier’. I believe that I said that I wanted to cut some body fat and put on some muscle. Don’t quote me though. Anyways, that was my intent.

And yeah. I’m not a troll. I have looked for info myself. Do you realize how much information there is out there? I’ve found SO much information claiming to the best thing or whatever. I don’t want to waste time doing one thing, when there’s something better that I could be doing. You know what I mean?

That’s why I came here, so I could get some real opinions from real people instead of from an article trying to sell its thing. I just wanted to find the most effective thing that I could do.

Anyways… All of that aside…

I’m gonna try to run a mile or so a day. I love to run, and if I want to do parkour and be good at it (Which I really want to do again), I’ve got to be able to run for extended periods. Right now I can’t make it half a mile without getting a stitch in my side for some reason… My legs still feel fine though.

Also, I read that you should run before you work out, because it gets your heart rate elevated before hand, and that’s helpful… for some reason.

One more thing. Should I buy creatine? I looked at the label… And 50g of protein… and 45g of carbohydrates? I’m just so worried about putting on fat. Is there a way to cut this fat I have AND put on muscle at the same time?

I’m at 16% bodyfat, and I’d love to get down to 12%
[/quote]

Pick a goal!

That running before lifting crap is just that crap.

Don’t buy that creatine, look for creatine with this in the ingreations list

creatine monohydrate

NOTHING else.