T Nation

New to Working Out

About 5 months ago I came across T-Nation. I had never really been that active a guy apart from playing soccer in my young years. Video games and girls were really my only true love, and I was only getting "action" playing super Mario. I lack a lot of knowledge when it comes to working out, BUT to make all of you advice givers happy... I DO DEAD LIFT AND I DO SQUAT.

I was hoping maybe posting here and leaving a picture would allow for me to receive some good advice on what to do next, stick to my Jim Wendler routine or try something different. The fact is the routine I have been doing that was written by Wendler is called "Big but Boring" and it is exactly that. Id also like to try something with a little more volume. Here is my 5 month update pic, dont flame 2 hard.

P.S all of these T-Nation articles are super helpful.. keep up the good work.

Deadlift:405
Squat: 245
Bench: Repping 205-225
(which I am proud of.. when i started I was struggling to get 95 up 5-6 times)
Military: 145

I take creatine (5g a day), Have tried a ton of proteins, currently using Nitrocore-64 (that new ON protein that bullshits about having a million different proteins), Animal Pak, Fish oil, and l-glutamine

I shoot for 1.5g protein for every pound of my weight, but usually fall short and sit around 1 gram per pound.

PLEASE give me advice on diet and other routines I might want to try.

No freakin’ clue what you should do now, but bloody good job so far bro.

I hope the “before” pics is the one on the right :slight_smile: Just kidding: very good work so far!

If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it! 5-3-1 is a long-term program (Wendler said he’s been on it for the last two years…), so as long as your main lifts don’t stall, don’t change anything!

The beauty of this program is the absolute freedom in assistance work; if you don’t want to go on with BBB, just switch to a more traditional BB routine. Here’s what a T-Nation member posted on the 5-3-1 thread (you can use it as a guidleline):

5/3/1 Crankman version

Bench/Chest & Back dominant/Secondary Arms

1. Bench Press 5/3/1
  2. Bench press 5x10 @ 50%
    3A) Rowing movement 3x8-12
    3B) Rear delt movement 3x8-12
  3. Shrugging movement 3x8-12
    5A) Biceps 3x8-12
    5B) Triceps Pushdown variations 3x15-25

Deadlift/Hamstring dominant/Secondary Calf & Abs

1. Deadlift 5/3/1
  2. Romanian Deadlift 3x8-10
  3. Good Morning 3x8-12
  4. Calf raise: 4 x 5 (5 seconds down, 5 seconds pause at bottom)
  5. Abs

Push Press/Shoulder & Back dominant/Secondary Arms

1. Push Press 5/3/1
  2. Seated DB Press or DB Incline Press 5x10 @ 50%
    3A) Vertical Pulling 3x8-12
    3B) Rear delt movement 3x8-12
  3. Shrugging movement 3x8-12
    5A) Biceps 3x8-12
    5B) Triceps Pushdown variations 3x15-25

Squat/Quadricep dominant/Secondary Calf & Abs
1)Squat: 5/3/1 method
2)Leg Press or Hack Squat 2-3 x 8-20
3)Leg Extension or Lunge variation 2-3 x 8-20
4)Calf raise - 3 x 10-10-10 (triple drop)
5)Abs

If you want a more body-composition oriented routine, just do some barbell complex after your main lift, superset the BBB assistance, or create a full-body circuit.

For a more strenght-oriented protocol, use the WS4SB III assistance lifts or a Westside-like template.

Concerning your diet, it should be good, seen the results; of course, a bit more of proteins wouldn’t hurt! Read the recent article on creatine, it’s really enlightening!

It’s great that you squat…but if 245 is your max, and you’re repping 225 on BP, there’s a bit of unbalance; yor squat is lagging behind your DL, as well. What’s your body structure? Long legs and short arms?

I suggest you to only get the prescribed # of reps (5, 3 or 1) on DL and BP, and try and rep out on squat. Add Good Mornings or Box Squat on your squat day.

EDIT: look at this thread, it may give you some ideas: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/531_questions

I think here’s a question that no one’s asked yet and I didn’t see stated in your post:

What are you goals? Aside from what you stated (advice) why are you here? You say you want a new program to follow, yet you never listed what your goals were? How can you get proper advice when we have no idea what we are giving you advice on?

i figured my goal would be pretty obvious since Im on a 5/3/1 routine… i wanna get strong. What do you guys think of bill starr’s 5x5?

i figured my goals would be pretty obvious considering Im on a Wendler 5/3/1 routine. I want to get strong. I don’t need one of those high volume body builder routines (5x5 is 2 high volume for my legs). I want a simple 4 day or 3 day. I was hoping someone could suggest something.

Ok … why is 5x5 too high a volume for you legs again?

Judging by your progress thus far, you are trying to shed some bodyfat as well. Outstanding work so far, you’ve obviously come a long ass way.

My advice would be to eat your fuckin’ vegetables. Next to eating ample protein with every meal, I would say that several servings of veggies each day is about the closest you can get to a magic pill.

Good luck.

Bango

because Ive been trying low rep sets on my legs, WITH good diet, and they are lagging beind like crazy.

It’s great that you squat…but if 245 is your max, and you’re repping 225 on BP, there’s a bit of unbalance; yor squat is lagging behind your DL, as well. What’s your body structure? Long legs and short arms?

I suggest you to only get the prescribed # of reps (5, 3 or 1) on DL and BP, and try and rep out on squat. Add Good Mornings or Box Squat on your squat day.

I want a routine where i can try higher rep sets on squat. My legs literally cant handle squating with in 5 days of each other. They remain sore for 6-8 days after a leg workout. I have talked to a lot of people who do there leg sets with 15-20 reps. Id like to find a routine that works around this.

I t-rex the bench with my stub arms, and I have semi-short legs. Im 5’8 sitting at 175 right now.

[quote]xanax wrote:
because Ive been trying low rep sets on my legs, WITH good diet, and they are lagging beind like crazy.

I want a routine where i can try higher rep sets on squat. My legs literally cant handle squating within 5 days of each other. They remain sore for 6-8 days after a leg workout. I have talked to a lot of people who do there leg sets with 15-20 reps. Id like to find a routine that works around this.[/quote]

If you want to be strong, you have to work with low reps…The simplest thing to do is to stay on 5-3-1, working out three times a week; this way, you’ll have 10 days between your squat sessions. As assistance movement, just do 2-3 sets of 15-20 of back squat (or front squat, leg press, lunges…) and see how it works.

I also suggest you to read this thread: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/wendler_531_program , because I’m shure you’ll find it very useful.

I’m telling you to go on with 5-3-1 'cause I’ve tried a few strength program, and this one is by far the simplest and one you can easily adapt to your needs, whatever they are. I know the perfect program doesn’t exist, but this one is so damn close :slight_smile:

Moreover, you you can’t handle squatting every five days, how could you manage a Bill Starr 5x5, where you squat THREE TIMES A WEEK?

You don’t squat 3x a week on 5x5 .

Quick question OP. Was the before picture 5 months before the after picture? Fantastic Progress if it is. Transforming like that in 5 months is great.

5 months 14 days

[quote]xanax wrote:
You don’t squat 3x a week on 5x5 .[/quote]

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

Are we talking about the same things?

Have you tried a lighter squat sessions (2x10@40%) between heavy sessions, for “active recover”?
Another idea could be “greasing the groove” (as suggested by Pavel and Dan John): if you want to improve a movement, do it as often as possible, at a very low intensity (just like 2x5@50% of your max) even every day, or at least every time you hit the gym (think of it as a part of your warm up).

I’m going to try the imrpoving the groove… I think my form is playing a huge part in my weight being so low. And yes we are talking about the same thing… U just dont squat 3 times a week on bill starss 5x5.

U have a choice between 2 days a week or 3 days a week :slight_smile:

Madcow is pretty good, help you build your base up then you can go to a split or concentrate more on strength training. Just remember if your weight isn’t going up eat more.