T Nation

New to Weightlifting and Swimming

Good day,

Got into this site as i have couple of questions,sorry if some may sound dumb as i am new to all the working out ,dieting thingy

A little about myself, am 6"3 ~260 pounds , never had time to work out or was too lazy to do it , but exercise was never on my list of priorities

Anyways, i want to start and see were this goes. Ive done some reading on dieting and workout , and i understand that 90% of losing weight is how clean i eat.

I understand that if i want to lose weight and hopefully build muscle to follow the below:

No refined sugar,junk or fried food.

Work out 4 to 5 days a week

Up my protien intake ,lower carbs, than carb cycle

Given my weight running on a 22000 or 2000 calories a day should be enough for me to lose weight

Regarding exercise, is 30 mins weight lifting with 30 mins swimming 4 or 5 days a week enough?

One more thing, a couple years ago , i tried going on a low carb diet, but on thee 3rd or 4th day ,i started feeeling weird, like you know that feeling wheen you are scared ,the fight or flight , i started having flashes of it, i felt like dieing , until i stoppd the low card diet. anything i can do to avoid that feeling?

When it comes to supplments am not a fan of fat burners as i hear that they might cause real problems in elevating blood pressure

The above pretty much sums everything up about me. below are 3 pictures of me

Will welcome any feedback/help on this

Thanks
Good day,

Got into this site as i have couple of questions,sorry if some may sound dumb as i am new to all the working out ,dieting thingy

A little about myself, am 6"3 ~260 pounds , never had time to work out or was too lazy to do it , but exercise was never on my list of priorities

Anyways, i want to start and see were this goes. Ive done some reading on dieting and workout , and i understand that 90% of losing weight is how clean i eat.

I understand that if i want to lose weight and hopefully build muscle to follow the below:

No refined sugar,junk or fried food.

Work out 4 to 5 days a week

Up my protien intake ,lower carbs, than carb cycle

Given my weight running on a 22000 or 2000 calories a day should be enough for me to lose weight

Regarding exercise, is 30 mins weight lifting with 30 mins swimming 4 or 5 days a week enough?

One more thing, a couple years ago , i tried going on a low carb diet, but on thee 3rd or 4th day ,i started feeeling weird, like you know that feeling wheen you are scared ,the fight or flight , i started having flashes of it, i felt like dieing , until i stoppd the low card diet. anything i can do to avoid that feeling?

When it comes to supplments am not a fan of fat burners as i hear that they might cause real problems in elevating blood pressure

The above pretty much sums everything up about me. below are 3 pictures of me

Will welcome any feedback/help on this

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I’ll answer your questions briefly.

1. Working out five day a week is more than enough to lose weight. You could do even less.

2. You don’t necessarily have to go low carb, low calorie, low anything. No crash diets if you want this to be sustainable and lasting. At 260lbs, I’d actually start with 2600 calories from clean food. Good amounts of protein, carbs and a few fats. Eat shitloads of vegetables.

3. I would advise you to alternate swimming and weight training days. Doing weights for 30 minutes, then changing clothes and swimming for 30 minutes is not time efficient. I’d advise you to do full body weight sessions on MO-WE-FR and go to the pool on TU-THU. Don’t kill yourself in the pool though.

4. Don’t create your own workouts. Pick a full body routine from a reputable source with a limited number of big basic exercises and try to get stronger. If you do not get stronger, you are not lifting, you’re jerking around.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

1. Working out five day a week is more than enough to lose weight. You could do even less.

2. You don’t necessarily have to go low carb, low calorie, low anything. No crash diets if you want this to be sustainable and lasting. At 260lbs, I’d actually start with 2600 calories from clean food. Good amounts of protein, carbs and a few fats. Eat shitloads of vegetables.

3. I would advise you to alternate swimming and weight training days. Doing weights for 30 minutes, then changing clothes and swimming for 30 minutes is not time efficient. I’d advise you to do full body weight sessions on MO-WE-FR and go to the pool on TU-THU. Don’t kill yourself in the pool though.

4. Don’t create your own workouts. Pick a full body routine from a reputable source with a limited number of big basic exercises and try to get stronger. If you do not get stronger, you are not lifting, you’re jerking around.[/quote]

thanks for the info ,appreciated

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

4. Don’t create your own workouts. Pick a full body routine from a reputable source with a limited number of big basic exercises and try to get stronger. If you do not get stronger, you are not lifting, you’re jerking around.[/quote]

This. Get stronger and good things will happen. I’d say Starting Strength would be a great fit for you since you’ve got almost no background in training at all. Focus on that and eating enough good food. The swimming may not be entirely necessary, although it won’t hurt if you don’t go nuts.

Alls good going tell now, and a quick question , someone with my phisique , do i have a chance of looking better? or even if i lose weight will i still look the same but smaller?

[quote]Triton wrote:
Alls good going tell now, and a quick question , someone with my phisique , do i have a chance of looking better? or even if i lose weight will i still look the same but smaller?
[/quote]

If you do everything right, you will look like a different person in a year. However, this is the least amount of time that it will take to see big changes. Don’t give up in four weeks because you’re still out of shape.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Triton wrote:
[/quote]

If you do everything right, you will look like a different person in a year. However, this is the least amount of time that it will take to see big changes. Don’t give up in four weeks because you’re still out of shape.
[/quote]

This

I heard once that the way you look now reflects the lifestyle choices you’ve been making for the last 5 years. If you’ve been working out for 1 month and slobbing around for 4 years and 11 months, guess which is going to be reflected most in your physique?

[quote]Triton wrote:

[/quote]

What the other guys said. Also, don’t worry about losing weight. Lose fat instead. If you add in muscle replacing the fat you won’t look the same, and you won’t look smaller.

Just be patient and consistent.

Everything going good till now, but everytime i try to dial down on carbs i start feeling weird"when i say carbs i mean the chocolate,cake stuff", like that scared feeling in the chest area, the fight or flight sensation. no idea why.

I understand that the brain needs carbs,sugar to function, but is it normal to feel this way? i am trying to get my sugar from dates and fruits, makes me feel a bit better, but not the same as when i eat other sugar stuff.

Any feedback on that is greatly appreciated

[quote]Triton wrote:
Everything going good till now, but everytime i try to dial down on carbs i start feeling weird"when i say carbs i mean the chocolate,cake stuff", like that scared feeling in the chest area, the fight or flight sensation. no idea why.

I understand that the brain needs carbs,sugar to function, but is it normal to feel this way? i am trying to get my sugar from dates and fruits, makes me feel a bit better, but not the same as when i eat other sugar stuff.

Any feedback on that is greatly appreciated[/quote]

Don’t call it carbs then, call it sugar. There’s a difference between potatoes and poptarts.

What people don’t realise is that you can be physically addicted to sugar. What you’re experiencing are withdrawal symptoms: My advice: go cold turkey. You won’t be able to control yourself so don’t try to eat ‘just one’. You’ll feel better in a few weeks. Make sure to eat enough healthy food (again, no starving) and drink lots of water. These two things will make it easier.

Thx for your input,really appreciate it mate.

When you say dont starve yourself,you mean keep eating 2600 calories all clean right?

And you say go cold turkey on sugar,the thing when i tried to i start feeling uneasy,like i need to keep moving,move my hands,my legs,take deep breath,i start feeling uneasy,shaky"but no tremors" , i feel like am about to faint,thats why i end up eating tiny amounts of “poptarts”.
Best thing that i would consider healthy and makes me feel good is dates. So do you recommend i stick to dates for my sugar intake"given its underr 2600 cals?"

Quitting sugar cold turkey doesn’t work all that well for people who are used to high amounts every day. Taper off over a period of two to three weeks. Keep a journal of every bit of sugar you eat or drink, and reduce it a little every day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can eat as much fruit as you want because it’s healthy. Stick to veggies and starches

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Quitting sugar cold turkey doesn’t work all that well for people who are used to high amounts every day. Taper off over a period of two to three weeks. Keep a journal of every bit of sugar you eat or drink, and reduce it a little every day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can eat as much fruit as you want because it’s healthy. Stick to veggies and starches[/quote]

To reduce the confusion: this is a mental factor and depends on your personality. I find it very easy to just reign in cravings for food; others don’t.

Not always http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
[/quote]

I think you misread. I know sugar is addictive, in fact I mentioned it in mind post above. The best way to cope with and overcome an addiction, however, depends on your personality.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
[/quote]

I think you misread. I know sugar is addictive, in fact I mentioned it in mind post above. The best way to cope with and overcome an addiction, however, depends on your personality.[/quote]
Missed it. Seemed like you were trying to say sugar cravings were merely a mental issue. My mistake.

[quote]Triton wrote:

When you say dont starve yourself,you mean keep eating 2600 calories all clean right?

And you say go cold turkey on sugar,the thing when i tried to i start feeling uneasy,like i need to keep moving,move my hands,my legs,take deep breath,i start feeling uneasy,shaky"but no tremors" , i feel like am about to faint,thats why i end up eating tiny amounts of “poptarts”.
Best thing that i would consider healthy and makes me feel good is dates. So do you recommend i stick to dates for my sugar intake"given its underr 2600 cals?"[/quote]

This is the effect of low blood sugar from being in a caloric deficit. Consuming sugar causes an insulin spike, which alleviates the symptoms rapidly. You are not addicted to sugar. The last thing you need is to believe that.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Triton wrote:

Best thing that i would consider healthy and makes me feel good is dates. So do you recommend i stick to dates for my sugar intake"given its underr 2600 cals?"[/quote]

This is the effect of low blood sugar from being in a caloric deficit. Consuming sugar causes an insulin spike, which alleviates the symptoms rapidly. You are not addicted to sugar. The last thing you need is to believe that.[/quote]

would you please elaborate on this “You are not addicted to sugar. The last thing you need is to believe that.” everyone been saying this , and ive spent the last couple of days reading about it.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
What people don’t realise is that you can be physically addicted to sugar. What you’re experiencing are withdrawal symptoms.[/quote]

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Quitting sugar cold turkey doesn’t work all that well for people who are used to high amounts every day. Taper off over a period of two to three weeks. Keep a journal of every bit of sugar you eat or drink, and reduce it a little every day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies. [/quote]

[quote]dt79 wrote:
This is the effect of low blood sugar from being in a caloric deficit. Consuming sugar causes an insulin spike, which alleviates the symptoms rapidly. You are not addicted to sugar. The last thing you need is to believe that.[/quote]

Sigh…
Alright OP, you’ve heard three different opinions, all of them from, as it stands, strangers on the internet who’ve never met you. If you want to know for sure, go see a dietician.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
What people don’t realise is that you can be physically addicted to sugar. What you’re experiencing are withdrawal symptoms.[/quote]

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Quitting sugar cold turkey doesn’t work all that well for people who are used to high amounts every day. Taper off over a period of two to three weeks. Keep a journal of every bit of sugar you eat or drink, and reduce it a little every day. Drink lots of water and eat lots of veggies. [/quote]

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Sigh…
Alright OP, you’ve heard three different opinions, all of them from, as it stands, strangers on the internet who’ve never met you. If you want to know for sure, go see a dietician.[/quote]

How would a dietician help me on this? I am already counting calories and working two days in a row and resting for one, so how would a dietician visit help me?