New to Weight Training, Where Do I Begin?

Any that you’d recommend?

I’ve got Loaded Lifting ones which I’m happy with. They’re Australian though, so postage wouldn’t be so cheap.

Check out LiftingLarge. He’s a great supplier with a big range. Even if you don’t see elbow sleeves, just use a pair of knee sleeves a size down from what you’d normally use.

Re elbows check out the recent article on tendonitis, specifically the voodoo band movements

So starts lifting 9 days ago… Lifts more than everyone who is giving him advice.

Not sure if people are that retarded, or just that retarded.
This guy did not start lifting 9 days ago, and no, there will be no videos you gullible mofos.

It looks like a deliberate troll job to me, but for those who don’t see it, stop and re-read this excellent troll post.

However, if for some reason I am completely wrong, he has got to be the strongest untrained blacksmith ever.

I thought if anything I would get made fun of for being weak…but for being too strong? Come on. What?

Why would I deliberately want to troll anyone? I came here seeking advice on what to do, so far everyone has been pretty supportive. Its the people like you that made me hesitate to even start this thread. I wasn’t even under the impression that what i am doing is even strong. The people that go to my gym are much bigger and stronger than me. So much so that it’s intimidating going there, I go at three in morning in hopes that no one will be there.

Don’t worry. It’s just that we get a fair bit of douchebaggery in the way of idiots claiming x, y and z so we’re generally a bit sceptical at first. Not to mention the dickheads who plead for advice and then argue when they don’t like what they hear.

Look, it sounds like you’re doing everything right so far. You’re training with bigger, stronger people - btw don’t be intimidated, train when they do and chances are they’ll help you a ton - and it seems like you’re one lucky bastard who just happens to be really strong naturally. That does happen. It’s just really rare, because most people like that tend to get snapped up by big teams early so we don’t get them here. Most guys have to put in a good few years of consistent hard work to get where you apparently are.

Take a couple of videos and post them here. That’ll reduce a fair bit of scepticism. Just be aware we’ll be honest and tell you if your squat is way high or something. In that case you’ll probably get a ton of advice on how to fix that too.

It’s intimidating trying to set my phone up somewhere to video a lift when there’s guys who’s warm up is more than my heaviest set. I know it’s pretty irrational but I can’t help but think I’m some kind of doucher trying to show off my measly lift when I video it because these guys lift hundreds of pounds more than me. I just try to do my thing and stay out of the way.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Chances are they won’t give a crap. If anyone asks, tell them why. Plus - and I say this from personal experience - filming your sets is a great way to spot problems.

Besides, if you’re training at times when no-one else is there it shouldn’t be an issue, right?

There’s still a few guys there sometimes. Pretty sure they’re aspiring strongmen or something. They’re absolutely massive. One did set after set of Over-Head Presses of sets of 10 of like 145kg. I barely squatted more than that. For only one set!

In which case, film away. Believe me, a guy who can press 145 kg overhead 10 times won’t give two shits about you filming yourself. I also suspect he isn’t an aspiring strongman. Being able to do that he’s probably a damn good strongman already.

Where is this gym?

I understand the reluctance, but I wouldn’t worry too much.

Auckland. It doesn’t even have a name. Just a big, white, plain warehouse looking place. You wouldn’t even know its a gym. I only got invited to workout there because I sold an anvil to one of the strongmen and made some strongman equipment for them.

So I drove by, no one was there for whatever reason so I decided to do some squats and try to video it right quick since I think they need the most help. Do I have to make a youtube account to put the videos here?

You don’t have to, but in the long run it tends to be easier. If you’ve got a Google account you’ve already got a YouTube account anyway.

Ah that explains it. Are you of Samoan/Maori lineage?

Youre not weak. At all. -your numbers are like the same as Sonny Bill Williams. You would be stronger than 90%+ of people in regular commercial gyms in the US.

Thta sounds like a fantastic place to train, learn as much as you can from those big guys

I was about to ask the same thing, soon as I found out you’re a Kiwi. You played rugby, right? That combined with your work would account for your strength straight off the bat. I played front row for five years in high school and I’m convinced that’s a large part of why I managed to get reasonable results pretty quickly once I started powerlifting.

I’ll be waiting for the videos and verification that you’ve only trained 9 days.

Perhaps you haven’t told us about a phenomenal coach that has gotten you to achieve so much in such little time.

And through a far-fetched notion that I’ve been wrong about this whole thing, I’d like to know the coaches name that can produce such numbers from an untrained labor worker.

This isn’t disrespect to those who work commendable jobs such as yourself, but a glaring chink in your story/numbers.

And if you do post a video, I hope it is of your impressive power clean.
Believe me, I want to be wrong about you. I do hope there are people capable of your numbers with 9 days of training.

No I’m an American, my mom is half black though if that matters at all. I didn’t do any sports in high school. I grew up on a ranch with my father who raised me as a single dad. So I was always working a lot but I don’t feel like it was anything that was ever too strenuous. I just started recently playing rugby in the past two years and I’ve ever only played full-back and wing. Also I’m in the process of uploading a youtube video of some squats right now.

I don’t have any coach, just been watching videos of proper form and watching the other guys at the gym. I’ll get everything uploaded as soon as I can. I’ll try to get some kind of proper training log started as soon as possible as well. Power cleans were planned for wednesday but my absolutely everything was still sore from that Monday workout. It’s Monday and my butt, hamstrings, back, and traps are still sore.

These are just practice squats from Friday. I did the same workout Thursday with 147kg for 10. Right now I feel like my squat form needs the most work. High Bar feels the most comfortable but it makes my shoulders and elbows hurt really bad. I feel like I’m changing my form with every set. Maybe I should seek out an actual coach?