New to Vertical Jumping

Hi, I did alot of body weight exercises wit plyos to try to increase my ups in the past because I wasn’t so well infomed on the fact that squats and deadlifts and all that are that impt. Now that I know it I’m going to the gym but am unsure of the rep range that I should be lifting in. Should I be lifting in the 4-6 rep range or should I lift in the 8-12 rep range?

Second, if I’m not taking supplements, what would be good pre, during and post workout foods to take?

Also, I heard that if I take my protein sources straight after workout, it would be used by the body to repair muscle tissues instead of using it for growth, so they recommneded taking a sports drink first before taking my protein. Is
that true?

Lastly, I heard that taking sugar pre and post workout is bad for vertical jump. Is that true also?

Thanks to any help in advance

[quote]helluva20022 wrote:
Hi, I did alot of body weight exercises wit plyos to try to increase my ups in the past because I wasn’t so well infomed on the fact that squats and deadlifts and all that are that impt. Now that I know it I’m going to the gym but am unsure of the rep range that I should be lifting in. Should I be lifting in the 4-6 rep range or should I lift in the 8-12 rep range?[/quote]

It depends on the exercises. For squats and deadlifts, I would stay 5 reps or below. For RDLs and good mornings I like the 4-6 rep range and the same thing for GHRs. For things like back extensions, single-leg squats, step-ups and lunges, I like the 8-12 rep range.

[quote]
Second, if I’m not taking supplements, what would be good pre, during and post workout foods to take? [/quote]

I like to eat a medium-sized, moderate-carb meal with plenty of protein and not that much fat about 1-2 hours beforehand. I start sipping Surge after my first work set and usually finish 1/2 - 2/3 of it before I’m done and finish the rest as I’m cooling down or doing whatever prehab work I’m doing that day. About an hour later I eat a meal with some protein and plenty of carbs.

[quote]
Also, I heard that if I take my protein sources straight after workout, it would be used by the body to repair muscle tissues instead of using it for growth, so they recommneded taking a sports drink first before taking my protein. Is
that true?[/quote]

Yeah I think that’s basically true, you should have plenty of fast carbs post-workout. Aim for a 2:1 - 4:1 ration of carbs:protein. I really like Surge for this, the taste is pretty good, ingredients are quality, it has a good ratio of protein:carbs and it also has BCAA’s which are important as well.

[quote]
Lastly, I heard that taking sugar pre and post workout is bad for vertical jump. Is that true also?[/quote]

I’m not sure who told you this. You NEED sugar (or fast carbs) post-workout to start the recovery process as fast as possible. I wouldn’t want to ingest sugar way before you workout (1-2 hours) though. Durning your workout I think is good.