New to TRT, How Long Before You Notice It?

So I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago after feeling very tired all the time. My Dr did the blood work and told me that my Testosterone levels were low (200)

He prescribed 1cc of 200mg Testosterone Cypionate every 14 days ( this seemed kind of low )

I eat very well and workout 5 times a week (Mostly cardio) How long does it take to really start working in your system? Don’t feel any better after my first dosage

My other question is related to weight training. I am starting a new weight training routine and would like to know how Test/Cyp can help me get stronger and at what dosages?

• I’ve done some reading on Estrogen levels rising ( Is this something I should be worrying about at this point)

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, Thank you!

Please post
Total Test
Free T
E2
Tsh
Ft3
Ft4
Do not include lh and fsh since you are on TRT they will be around 0.
After these lab only someone can guide you.
Most of people here take T dosage on weekly basis.
You can try that in first place instead of 14 days routine.
Most probably your e2 levels will be out of equation but only bloodwork can clear the assumption.

1 Like

Really depends. I was a super fast responded and felt it the next day. Other people take a few weeks of different dosages to get “dialed in”.

The red flag I see is that your doc is giving you 200 all at once and letting you go for 2 weeks. That is going to create a peak and then a week or more of coming down, possibly feeling worse than starting. Would ask if you could self inject 3 times a week to keep levels flat rather than a rollercoaster.
Also will keep many sides away.

1 Like

I am restarting TRT and am also curious about how long it typically takes people to notice improvements. I found the following online

ONSET OF EFFECTS OF TESTOSTERONE TREATMENT AND TIME SPAN UNTIL MAXIMUM EFFECTS ARE ACHIEVED.

Eur J Endocrinol. 2011 Jul 13;

Authors: Saad F, Aversa A, Isidori AM, Zafalon L, Zitzmann M, Gooren LJ

Objectives: Testosterone has a spectrum of effects on the male organism. This review attempts to determine, from published studies, the time-course of the effects induced by testosterone replacement therapy from their first manifestation until maximum effects are attained.

Design: Studies in PubMed on testosterone replacement so far providing information on time course.

Results:
• Effects on sexual interest appear after 3 weeks plateauing at 6 weeks, no further increments beyond.
• Changes in erections/ejaculations may require up to 6 months.
• Effects on quality of life manifest within 3-4 weeks, but maximum benefits take longer.
• Effects on depressive mood appear after 3-6 weeks with a maximum after 18-30 weeks.
• First effects on erythropoiesis after 3 months, peaking at 9-12 months.
• Prostate specific antigen and volume rise, marginally, plateauing at 12 months; further increase related to aging rather than therapy.
• Effects on lipids appear after 4 weeks, maximal after 6-12 months.
• Insulin sensitivity may improve within few days, but effects on gly***ic control become evident only after 3-12 months.
• Changes in fat mass, lean body mass and muscle strength occur within 12-16 weeks, stabilize at 6-12 months, but marginally continue to improve over years.
• Effects on inflammation occur within 3 to 12 weeks.
• Effects on bone detectable after 6 months but continue at least for 3 years.

Conclusion: the time-course of the spectrum of effects of testosterone shows considerable variation, probably related to pharmacodynamics of the testosterone preparation. Genomic and non-genomic effects, androgen receptor polymorphism and intracellular steroid metabolism further contribute to such diversity.

PMID: 21753068 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Source:

How long before the effects of TRT work…you ask?

1 Like

Everyone is different and it depends on how TRT is done; your protocol is terrible.

Suggested protocol:

• Self inject 50mg T twice a week, SC not IM, #29 1/2" 0.5ml insulin syringe
  • 0.5mg anastrozole at time of injections
  • 250iu hCG SC EOD to preserve testes and fertility

Many here have low thyroid function, self check yours, see last paragraph in this post.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll get a copy from my Dr Monday and I’ll post it

Yhea I was thinking about that like why would he put me on a bi-weekly dose. I’m injecting at home so yes i can do 2-3 times a week

Very nice…Thanks!

Sorry to wake up a slightly older thread, but I just started TRT on Friday. :slight_smile:

KSman,

This is very similar to the protocol I was assigned by my doctor with two slight exceptions, I was prescribed 100mg per injection and told to do the AI with the hCG, not with the T.

EDIT: Correction I have 3 exceptions. I missed the EOD in your comment. I was told hCG .25mg twice a week with .5 Anastrozole at the same time. So twice a week for both 2 days apart from the T injections.

Definitely interested in fsoler progress.

Please create your own thread/topic for your case. Provide info about you and labs with ranges in list format.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

I started 100 mg cypionate once per week on 10/3. Didn’t notice any changes first week . Week 2 I started to notice a bit more energy on days 2 and 3 and also oily skin with a body odor reminiscent to my teenage years lol. Going for labs in 2 weeks. Will continue to post further results as time goes on.

Repeating…

Injecting once a week creates highs and lows. Then your lab results are mostly determined by lab timing. Inject twice a week and always do labs halfway between injections to eliminate lab timing artifacts. Smoother T levels will help avoid higher E2 levels. Subq with #29 1/2" 0.5ml insulin syringes is smoother that IM and avoid decades of muscle damage.

You should not ignore my above references to thyroid, iodine, iodized salt and oral body temperatures. Most guys here have some related issues that have large impact on quality of life and TRT outcomes.

1 Like