T Nation

New to Training for mass, Very Overwhelmed

Like I said, I'm new to all of this. I did do MANY searches but have come across so many different workout plans I just need a little guidance to get started properly.

Me... quick and dirty...
I am Male, 5'7, 175-180, very mildly overweight. I have worked out enough that I have some barely visible chest/arm size with zero definition due to a layer of body fat that is thankfully shrinking due to my increased lifting over the last month. Most of my fat deposit falls into typical spare tire zones. I still do not have the upper body strength to properly/reliably do a full set of pull ups. I have worked mostly with an old weight machine I got at a garage sale that is falling apart, and a set of dumbbells that I purchased years ago.

So I am just now getting serious in trying to transform myself. I have finally found and joined a good gym. My problem is the HUGE volume of input. The blessing and curse of the internet is that I have read way too many contradicting ideas on how to best do this. Instead of everyone trying to tell me which program is the best. I have put together a list of eight exercises that are in my very novice opinion good enough to start me off correctly. I just want opinions on what you would change and why. For the purpose of this thread lets assume my nutrition is on point.

I am a very organized person so this is very simple for me to start off on and log my sets/reps/weights on each set.

This breaks down to a Classic MON/WED/FRI Lifting with (TUE/THUR/SAT Rest or Cardio):

Romanian Deadlift
Dumbbell Curl to Overhead Press
Pullups (gotta work up to these) thankfully the gym has a assisted pullup station
Hang Cleans
Alt Dumbbell Press
Squats
Swiss Ball weighted crunch
Half Kneeling Cable Twist/Lift.

I will of course bump up my total weight lifted every week.

What I would like to know is if there is anything I am missing. Everyone at the gym wants me to train with them on specific muscle groups each days instead of whole body workouts with recovery time.

Thanks in advance,
Wesley Kerr

It really depends entirely on your goals. Do you want to lose fat or gain muscle? You seem to have a lot of volume there in one day too. You could prob cut that in half and do half Monday, the other half Wednesday, and then restart the cycle on Friday. If you're also a beginner, why don't you stick to very simple exercises like the squats, deadlifts, bench press, OH presses, pull-ups, and other bodyweight exercises. I'm sure you could create a pretty good 3-day-a week program that is fast paced with those exercises that would benefit you more since you're still somewhat of a beginner.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

I'd highly recommend cruising around the Beginner's section for a while. I don't know what your goals are, but considering this is a Bodybuilding forum, I'll assume that's your goal. However, your plan just doesn't look optimal for typical BB training.

OR

You could read all of the thread here called "Professor X: A Request" if you want quality information from knowledgeable people.