New To Training: Age 30

Hi,
I’ve just started training using the workout below and would be grateful for any comments and advice on my workout.
I’m 30, slim and new to weight training. My goals are to increase strength and size.

Using 5 reps and 3 sets.

Monday
Squat
1 Arm Dumbbell Bench Press
Deadlift

Tuesday
Conditioning

Wednesday
Squat
2 Arm Dumbbell Push Press
Deadlift

Thursday
Conditioning

Friday
Squat
Weighted Pushups
Deadlift

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
Rest

Thanks.

Not bad, I think you would be better doing 5x5. Not all sets need to be the same weight. Also I would like to see some rows in there. Perhaps drop the deadlifts back to once a week and substitute rows. To see what a 5x5 program similar to this would look like, check out

Deadlifts and squats usually aren’t put on the same day, and I agree some rows couldn’t hurt. Maybe put some direct shoulder work in there too.

You’re not too far off from me, I started out as a very skinny 31 year old. Gained over ten kilos in four months so… it’s possisble.

Like others I’ve found that doing squats and deadlifts on separate days works better. It let me put more effort into those big exercises. Doing both I’d always end up drained and have to drop the weight on the last few sets on the second one.

Since nobody’s mentioned diet - how much are you eating? Make sure it’s enough to gain size. I have to stuff myself seven times a day.

10 pounds in four months ?!
That’s too much. I hardly believe it.