New to this Whole Thing

So my name is Mike for starters, and for years now I’ve struggled to gain weight/muscle. I just can not seem to get on a strict regiment and stick to working out or eating healthy. I’m 19 years old and weigh about 140 lbs and I am 6’1.

I’m terrified of the gym but my family has our own personal gym at the house, bowflex, perfect push ups, and I have a couple of dumbells. I mean I just feel like even with all the opportunity all around me I just cant get into it.

I know people go to the gym to get motivated, but for me I am terrified at other people seeing me, I do not doubt my strength at all though. I’m not afraid of not being able to life as much as everyone else, I just don’t want to look like the weakest guy there, its like a dominance thing and I do not want to be that guy.

I’m getting way off topic. What I really do want is to just get a little ripped, not huge. I just want to gain about 10-15 lbs in muscle, and just have the tyler durden fight club body (like everyone wants…or at least i think that). So what can I do to stay regimented at home, and stay motivated?

What can I do to make muscle growth more rapid? And what exercises should I do to get this ripped look I’m going for, and how can I do them at home.

I know I am asking alot of people and I really do appreciate it if youve read into this thread this far and I thank you for your help in advance. (I’ll try and post pics so you can see how skinny I am lolz)

I lurked on this site for a good 21 months before signing up. If you had for 15 minutes you’d see that you’re not the first person who has these goals.

You don’t even need to do a search, but look through the first page in the beginners section (where this should be posted) and learn. Read the stickies and that’ll be enough info for you to go away and lift and sure as heck gain some weight, WHICH YOU NEED TO DO!

Read the stickies, report back in 6-12 months with progress.

Agreed that this should be in beginners section, but since you’re here, a few pointers:

1. Whether you want a little or a lot of muscle, it doesn’t mean completely different paths (muscles grow from hard work, food and overload)

2. The thing you are missing (“struggling with” as you put it), is not some magical formula or secret we can give you; it’s the basics - that is, eating enough with consistency to make the scales go up weekly and a consistent standard routine where you add load to the bar almost every session. Do both (eat enough, get stronger) and you will move forwards.

3. Being ripped is something you should aim for once a decent muscle base has been built (something you are happy with). Bear in mind that being that lean is not usually just a case of losing a few pounds, so you’ll likely have to over-shoot a weight target by some degree to look good naked when you trim.

All of that is not “just” looking good naked - it takes consistency, effort, good progression etc. Natty bodybuilders spend years “just looking good naked”, to most people they seem to think that comes easily :slight_smile:

get into a gym and lift heavy weights for high reps, eat your way to at least 200lbs, use this website to achieve this