T Nation

New to This Site

I've made some great progress and wanted to introduce myself, and get advice. I've been lifting off and on again without much direction for the past 4-5 years. Two years ago I began a powerlifting style training to get my strength up. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I would Squat, Bench, overhead barbell press, and dead lift. I started with the bar only and added 10 lbs every workout. I worked my way up to a bodyweight squat & dead lift.

Shortly thereafter, I lost my job and had to shift my focus. Fast forward a year. I had added much fat and was concerned about diabetes and knew I needed to make permanent changes. In June of this year I picked up Chad Waterbury's Huge in a Hurry, completely changed my diet (no more white carbs, lots of veggies and protein, eat 6 times a day and take creatine, bcaa's and protein).

Since June I've lost 21 pounds of fat and have added around 2 inches to my frame. My training consists of:
Monday AM - Sprints
Monday PM - Upper body push, & pull, Squats Heavy
Tuesday AM - Sprints and Shoulders
Tuesday PM - Arms, Abs, Calves
Wednesday Am - Sprints
Wednesday PM - Upper body push, & pull, deadlift Heavy
Thursday AM - Sprints and Shoulders
Thursday PM - Arms, Abs, Calves
Friday AM - Sprints
Friday PM, Sat, Sun - REST

Push and pull consist of Bench press (vary between flat, incline and decline), weighted dips, weighted chins, pull downs, rows, overhead presses

Every 4 weeks I go light weight, 20-25 reps for 1 week to deload.

Best lifts so far: Bench: 225, Squat, 325, Dead 300

Very motivated by all of the changes I've made so far. I welcome honest feedback.

Tried to post pictures, but unsuccessful. Will try later.

Good job mate and welcome :slight_smile:

Did you sprint all out 5x per week? If so how did you find the recovery for legs, was your leg strength affected?

In the mornings, I do interval sprints. I jog for 1 min, run for 30 sec and all out sprint for 15 seconds. I let my heart rate come down to below 130 bpm, increase the incline and resistance level of the machine and do it again. I increase the level 5 times during my workout. I stretch before and afterwards. I get an incredible pump in my legs, but I don't kill them so much that I can't function the next day. I have to use a stepper/elliptical machine to keep my ankles from aching. I do this first thing on an empty stomach. It has helped to shed my bodyfat.