T Nation

New to The Site

Hi, my name is Callam and I am new to the site. I want to bring weight-lifting into my training. I am roughly 5"8 and 140 lbs.

I compete in Sprinting (starting long jump soon) and I also play football (soccer), inline hockey (starting ice next September) and some basketball.

My goals are to increase my speed strength and cardiovascular endurance to help me with my games and my athletics. I have looked at the “Total-Body Training The 3-day-per-week, full-body workout plan” by Chad Waterbury programme and thought this would help me a lot.

I will join the gym when I finish my exams (end of June) and I should be doing sprinting training twice a week. Football and hockey won’t have set days. The question is will I be able to do all this in a week without burning out.

At the moment I can run 40meters in 5.1 seconds and can get a level 13.7 on the multi-stage fitness test.

Sorry if my post is a little sketchy and I have left something out. Please ask if there is anything you need to know.

TBT is definitely a good choice. Eat every 2-3 hours, eat enough to grow muscle (which might be a lot more than you’d ever want to eat) and get plenty of sleep. If you do all that you should see good gains.

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding diet? remembering all the other stuff I do?

Anybody?

Please?

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
Please?[/quote]

At the top of the section there is a thread titled, 'Are you a Beginner II" It has plenty of links to nutrition articles that will help you out.

Also, take a look at Joe Defranco’s West Side for Skinny Bastards. It was designed for athletes to use during the off season. Since you are going to be doing your sprint training, this program may help you out and it is a good one for building strength.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
TBT is definitely a good choice. Eat every 2-3 hours, eat enough to grow muscle (which might be a lot more than you’d ever want to eat) and get plenty of sleep. If you do all that you should see good gains.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s really a matter of eating enough and sleeping enough to recover. You should check out Massive Eating by John Berardi, as well as reading all the other nutrition articles linked in the “Are You a Beginner II” thread. You’ll find you need to be eating much, much more than you had thought.

Ok thanks guys, guess I can’t go wrong with those articles.