New To The Site

Hi everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. My name is Pete and I have been on this site a bunch of times and love to read the forum and look at all you physical specimans . I am stocky and looking to loose some weight.

I usually run 2 miles 3-4 times a week. I usually always eat healthy. I am very good at loosing weight in spurts, but I want to keep if off for good!!

Any tips would be appreciated!!!

Nice to meet everyone :slight_smile:

• Pete

It sounds like your main goal right now is just to lose weight. Diet will be the main component to this.

A lot of people say they “eat healthy”. What exactly are you eating?

Break Fast
-Quick oats everymorning with some sort of fruit, table spoon of yellow sugar and some milk.

Morning Snack
-Dad oatmeal cookies ( 1 pack of 2 cookies)

Lunch
-12 grain bread with peanutbutter and honey (Sandwich)
-2 source yogurt

Dinner

• Usually chicken breast (boneless skinless baked in over) or Steak on BBQ.
  • Always some sort of vegetable on the side steamed no oil butter or anything.

Night Time Snack

• cut up friut

Cheat Day Sunday

• Half a large pizza ( pep and cheese)

Thats my usuall eating patern. I may have subway once and a while on a friday. I don’t usually go out to eat. I am very confused why I am not loosing weight. I do have a desk job thought.

Let me know what you guys think.

Because you’re not eating like you want to lose weight.

[quote]PeteMoss wrote:
Break Fast
-Quick oats everymorning with some sort of fruit, table spoon of yellow sugar and some milk.[/quote]
Lots of carbs, no significant protein.

[quote]Morning Snack
-Dad oatmeal cookies ( 1 pack of 2 cookies)[/quote]
They’re cookies. You want to lose weight. 2 + 2 = ?

[quote]Lunch
-12 grain bread with peanutbutter and honey (Sandwich)
-2 source yogurt[/quote]
Lots of carbs and fat, a little protein.

[quote]Dinner

• Usually chicken breast (boneless skinless baked in over) or Steak on BBQ.
  • Always some sort of vegetable on the side steamed no oil butter or anything.[/quote]
    This is an awesome meal for your goals.

[quote]Night Time Snack

• cut up friut[/quote]
    Lots of carbs, no protein.

[quote]Cheat Day Sunday

• Half a large pizza ( pep and cheese)[/quote]
    It’s pizza. You want to lose fat. 2 + 2 = ? Also, cheat days need to be earned with hard exercise or as an occasional break from an otherwise strict diet. You’ve got neither.

This is an awesome step-by-step guide for figuring out a fat loss nutrition plan:

What’s your current height and weight?

Is this the only exercise you’re doing?

Cardio is fine, to an extent, but if you’re not following a smart weight training plan, you’re not going to build lean muscle which is what really makes significant changes to your physique.

Thanks for your input Chris :).

I am not trying to get ripped or anything I just want to be a normal size. What are some Quality meals I can make for Lunch and Breakfast to substitute what I am currently eating??

[quote]PeteMoss wrote:
Thanks for your input Chris :).

I am not trying to get ripped or anything I just want to be a normal size. What are some Quality meals I can make for Lunch and Breakfast to substitute what I am currently eating?? [/quote]

I think there are some other questions that need to be answered first.

How tall are you? How old are you? What is your current weight? What is your goal weight?

Are you doing any other activity besides running (like weightlifting)?

Do you actually know how many calories you’re eating in a typical day? Take that diet you posted, for instance. Do you know how many calories that is? To lose weight, you will need to burn more calories than you eat; it’s easier to do that when you know exactly how many calories you’re eating.

what colucci said

So ironic that Chris suggested that Chris Shugart article because I was just going to tell the OP to have a look at Shugart’s recipe forum: Biotest Supplement Advice - Forums - T Nation

Sorry, OP but I don’t know what other kinds of food that you like but there is a little of everything in that forum. The recipes are to die for.

You know, if you took some time and began a weight training program, you would increase your lean muscle mass. That would in turn not only make you look more lean or toned or whatever you want to call it but it requires more calories to keep a body like that moving. If you really like running, that’s fine but this is a body building website so that is in line with the type of advise that you will get. The guys that only run and just want to lose some weight are few and far between. Not to discourage you at all, just pointing that out.

1- start on an intellegent weight lifting routine. Read up on the following and pick whichever one u like the best. It doesnt matter which one you pick, but you must follow it to a TEE.

2- continue to run. Being in shape is important. To make it simple, just run after you lift weights.

3- scrap that eating plan, follow this instead:

At every meal, eat the following:

A large portion of meat or eggs (im talking 6 
 ounces/4 eggs or more

A serving of vegetables or fruit (not fruit juice or a fruit cup,         a real piece of fruit)

A serving of complex carbohydrates, if you're still hungry

Wash that down with a glass of milk

Don’t forget to stretch, and when in doubt, listen to chris colucci

[quote]PeteMoss wrote:
I am not trying to get ripped or anything I just want to be a normal size.[/quote]
You looked “normal size” in your picture before. Set some concrete goals so you know exactly what you’re trying to acheive.

Jackie linked to some great recipes. Basically, you want your meals protein-focused (think dead animals - chicken, turkey, fish, beef, pork, eggs, etc.), and then vegetables in abundance to fill in, followed by some occasional fruit, with “starchy carbs” (grains, potato, breads, etc.) last on the list. Fats are healthy and important as well, but are generally found as part of your protein source or added separately in moderation (olive oil on salads, for example).

This is all discussed in tons of articles and threads.

Coming from a guy that lost 140 lbs

Protein isn’t as important as T Nation thinks (it’s basically a bodybuilding and supplement site, so that’s expected)
 don’t eat anything packaged and don’t go out to eat and a lot of it (not all) will work itself out. You might not make that meal next time when you realize you dumped a half stick of butter in the dish. Protein is important, but a lot of people use it to justify eating things like bacon, etc.

NEPA (Non Exercise Physical Activity) is just as important as your routine. Go for an hour a day. A lot of people will go for walks for this, but I find that kind of boring. You’re probably better off doing something like cleaning, because you probably need to clean anyway. I used to spend 30-45 minutes every other day washing my clothes in a bucket (no machine/laundrymat/money), and I think it really helped out my shoulders (A wet pair of pants weights what? 10-15 lbs? x 15-20 reps x each pair of pants is pretty decent).

That being said
 the advice above my post is solid and you won’t go wrong listening to it, but there are different approaches. Sustainability is the key (which also means slower gains).

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

Protein isn’t as important as T Nation thinks (it’s basically a bodybuilding and supplement site, so that’s expected)
 don’t eat anything packaged and don’t go out to eat and a lot of it (not all) will work itself out. You might not make that meal next time when you realize you dumped a half stick of butter in the dish. Protein is important, but a lot of people use it to justify eating things like bacon, etc.

NEPA (Non Exercise Physical Activity) is just as important as your routine. Go for an hour a day. A lot of people will go for walks for this, but I find that kind of boring. You’re probably better off doing something like cleaning, because you probably need to clean anyway. I used to spend 30-45 minutes every other day washing my clothes in a bucket (no machine/laundrymat/money), and I think it really helped out my shoulders (A wet pair of pants weights what? 10-15 lbs? x 15-20 reps x each pair of pants is pretty decent).

That being said
 the advice above my post is solid and you won’t go wrong listening to it, but there are different approaches. Sustainability is the key (which also means slower gains).

[/quote]

Chris Colucci does give solid advice, that’s a given. As far as the rest of what you’ve said, protein is not that important and people use that to justify eating bacon? Yet, in your own log you advocate eating a PB sandwich for breakfast??? And that physical activity should be increased by cleaning because wet pants weigh X# of pounds? That is not good advice.

Protein builds muscle. PB sandwiches do not.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:

That being said

[/quote]

Chris Colucci does give solid advice, that’s a given. As far as the rest of what you’ve said, protein is not that important and people use that to justify eating bacon? Yet, in your own log you advocate eating a PB sandwich for breakfast??? And that physical activity should be increased by cleaning because wet pants weigh X# of pounds? That is not good advice.

Protein builds muscle. PB sandwiches do not.[/quote]

Generally solid advice above for weight loss purposes though. Any increase in activity level is a good thing if all you’re doing is sitting all day. Even the lame stuff like “park your car at the far side of the parking lot so you can walk” does work.

But that being said, this is a strength/bodybuilding oriented site, and weightloss for the sake of weightloss isn’t really the focus.

Quote from "1 Man Island"s log

If you are eating for strength AND weightloss, protein is a necessary component. I recommend that in addition to losing weight, you work to put on muscle. That will require protein.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
1- start on an intellegent weight lifting routine. Read up on the following and pick whichever one u like the best. It doesnt matter which one you pick, but you must follow it to a TEE.

2- continue to run. Being in shape is important. To make it simple, just run after you lift weights.

3- scrap that eating plan, follow this instead:

At every meal, eat the following:

A large portion of meat or eggs (im talking 6 
 ounces/4 eggs or more

A serving of vegetables or fruit (not fruit juice or a fruit cup,         a real piece of fruit)

A serving of complex carbohydrates, if you're still hungry

Wash that down with a glass of milk

Don’t forget to stretch, and when in doubt, listen to chris colucci[/quote]

Sorry, for some reason the programs didn’t show up. Here they are:

5/3/1
Madcow intermediate and advanced
Texas method
Juggernaut method

or any other program that has intellegent built in progression on the big lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press). Look for percentages that go up over time

[quote]LoRez wrote:

That being said

[/quote]

Generally solid advice above for weight loss purposes though. Any increase in activity level is a good thing if all you’re doing is sitting all day. Even the lame stuff like “park your car at the far side of the parking lot so you can walk” does work.

But that being said, this is a strength/bodybuilding oriented site, and weightloss for the sake of weightloss isn’t really the focus.

If you are eating for strength AND weightloss, protein is a necessary component. I recommend that in addition to losing weight, you work to put on muscle. That will require protein.[/quote]

If you subscribe to the all calories are equal philosophy, that would be true. Protein is essential for weight loss as it preserves lean muscle mass, muscle requires more calories so you’re burning more calories which, in turn, helps you get lean and stay that way. Not to mention that protein is just more filling and curbs the cravings to overeat. If someone dieting doesn’t eat enough protein, it begins to break down muscle tissue instead. Then you end up with the flabby or skinny fat look. We all know the fat person that eats once a day. If you watch what they eat, I’ve seen very few eat adequate protein - mostly just carb type foods.

I totally understand your point about reducing calories LoRez, totally, but you have to keep in mind where those calories come from also. The walking further from your car thing and cleaning your house I understand also and it’s something we all should do but I wouldn’t advise that for weight loss unless someone was extremely obese and wasn’t able to perform weight training or cardio at that point.

Didn’t mean to get off topic at all but I have a hard time wrapping my head around PB sandwiches and washing pants as activities that are going to give someone tangible results.

I’m pretty sure this guy’s long gone. As soon as people started telling him his diet looked bad he posted a thread asking the mods to delete his account, because this site ‘wasn’t for him’. Total active membership time: about 2 hours. New record?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I’m pretty sure this guy’s long gone. As soon as people started telling him his diet looked bad he posted a thread asking the mods to delete his account, because this site ‘wasn’t for him’. Total active membership time: about 2 hours. New record?[/quote]

Lol. Didn’t hear what he wanted to hear I guess.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

That being said

[/quote]

If you are eating for strength AND weightloss, protein is a necessary component. I recommend that in addition to losing weight, you work to put on muscle. That will require protein.[/quote]

If you subscribe to the all calories are equal philosophy, that would be true. Protein is essential for weight loss as it preserves lean muscle mass, muscle requires more calories so you’re burning more calories which, in turn, helps you get lean and stay that way. Not to mention that protein is just more filling and curbs the cravings to overeat. If someone dieting doesn’t eat enough protein, it begins to break down muscle tissue instead. Then you end up with the flabby or skinny fat look. We all know the fat person that eats once a day. If you watch what they eat, I’ve seen very few eat adequate protein - mostly just carb type foods.

I totally understand your point about reducing calories LoRez, totally, but you have to keep in mind where those calories come from also. The walking further from your car thing and cleaning your house I understand also and it’s something we all should do but I wouldn’t advise that for weight loss unless someone was extremely obese and wasn’t able to perform weight training or cardio at that point.

Didn’t mean to get off topic at all but I have a hard time wrapping my head around PB sandwiches and washing pants as activities that are going to give someone tangible results.[/quote]

No worries about getting off topic now. Guy’s no longer here.

That makes sense about the protein. I’ve both gained and lost weight on a high-protein diet, with no real change in LBM. The only difference for me was just total calorie intake
 but again, I was getting a ton of protein.

I keep forgetting that a lot of people are high-carb, low-protein.

And I agree, PB sandwiches and clothes washing aren’t going to do much. Although, 14-hour days washing clothes down by the river on a washboard that would do the job.

Sounds like the guy was just looking for a quick fix though. I almost feel bad for him, for not knowing any better. Little gradual changes might do better for him.

Oh well

LoRez (& flipcollar), I saw that. About two seconds after he posted this thread he made one is supp’s asking about fat burners so I think he was a little embarrassed when he was told he didn’t need them at this point.

Yeah, different people have different macro needs and that’s why you have to play with your own numbers to see what works for you. All I know is that (in the past) I had gained a fair bit of weight from eating higher carbs and lost it on a high fat/moderate protein/low carb diet. I had awesome muscle tone after also! There’s nothing wrong with bacon, damn it! lol

What about the tub of pure tallow I rendered from beef suet a few months ago? Is that good to eat?