T Nation

New to the Site, Wanting to Lose Weight

HI everyone, My names josh, I'm almost 19 yrs old, and I've been overweight basically my entire life.

I'm 6'3, 305lbs, 33.8% BF.

Any tips on weight lose? Workouts??

I have set a goal date to lose 40lbs - May 15th. Is this goal acheivable?

Thank you all!

are you serious... do you not see the training articles and specifically the FAT LOSS articles

3 1/2 months, so about 2 lbs/week. It's possible but will require a lot of hard work and determination, which is something you clearly have not had in the past.

Do some reading at the top of the forum for starters.

I'm sorry. I'm new here. Just trying to find what I need to do.

Like the Dude said, dropping that much by that date will take determination and consistency, but it isn't impossible by any means.

If it helps at all, you're at a perfect age to drop the weight and if you don't take care of it now, you're absolutely setting yourself up to only get bigger in the future.

For diet, check out 28 Days, 14 Missions:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/28_days_14_missions_1_ripped_physique

It's a step-by-step guide to going from zero nutritional structure (where you're probably at right now) to some type of well-designed nutritional plan.

For training, check out Total Body Training:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training

It's a straight-forward program that will get you used to lifting three days a week. I'd also do an "easy" 20 minutes of cardio (incline treadmill, full body elliptical, quick bike pedaling, etc.) immediately after each weight session or on the days you're not lifting. That will help to build a base that will eventually develop into more intense training.

That's a solid place to start from.

I'm going to rant for a bit, then I'll say something constructive. No one (probably) is going to lay out a huge training plan for you, and prod all of the required information out of you in order to do so. This is something people get paid to do, because it takes time. You've got to do some research for yourself: start by reading the articles on this site, but do not forget that other quality sites exist out there on the web.

Anyway, basically, all you need to do is lift weights, do cardio, (5 days exercising, at least) and alter your eating habits.

The eating is the most important. Immediately stop consuming drinks with calories in them: soda, sports drinks, juice, milk, etc. If you're wondering if it's OK to drink something look at the calories content: if it isn't 0 calories, don't drink it. No more fast food. No more candy. No more snack food (chips, fritos, pork rines). No cake. No pie. You get the point, right? This is the first step, and not consistently doing the above will most likely just set you up for failure. I've done this, and I KNOW it's hard. However it becomes habit.

You also need to start eating a decent breakfast. And a healthy lunch. And a mid day snack (like, a can of tuna or some all natural PB with a protein shake). And a good dinner. Every day. Starving yourself won't work. Again, this might be difficult. But it becomes habit, and will ultimately make you feel better. Do some research on what foods to eat.

You can lose 50 lbs in 6-8 months, while gaining muscle, and drastically improve your body composition. I recently helped a friend do just that. He's very committed and consistent; probably more than I've been as of late.

Don't consume any form of cane sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, evaporated cane juice, "real" sugar, "natural" sugar, "raw" sugar, etc.) or white flour. At all. Ever.

Try to get all your carbs from fruits and vegetables. Put an emphasis on vegetables.

Eat carbs in the morning and fats in the evening. Never mix the two. Always have protein with your meals.

Drink a dick load of water.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

I'm serious: You've got no business posting in the Beginners Forum if this is how you respond to new members asking legitimate beginners questions.

Regardless of how obvious or basic you think a question might be, it isn't to those starting out or they wouldn't be asking. This forum is where they can ask those questions without having to take shit for being newbs.

Now wash the sand out of your snatch, consider a basic course in grammar, and then try actually helping someone who's asking for help.

Josh,

Welcome, and congratulations on wanting to improve your health and your life! If you've never really thought about fitness and nutrition, it can be an overwhelming experience.

More expert people than me will likely provide you specifics on diet and exercise, but I would like to say this: if you've been overweight all your life, you have developed mental habits and relationships towards food and exercise that you need to change internally in order to stick with any program that you undertake. Please consider doing some book or internet research that address practical ways to effect that change.

Also, please reconsider any fixation on losing x amount of weight by y timeframe. To segue into a rant about "The Biggest Loser," the problem with the show is that they do just that--fixate on a number on a scale. The show doesn't seem to take into account that fact that muscle is denser and heavier than fat. The problem for you is that I think that what you really want to do is change your body composition, i.e., more muscle, less fat. You could do that, and not see a significant drop in weight within the next few months, and become discouraged. So, at least in addition to the number on the scale, you should be tracking other body measurements (waist size, neck size, etc).

I hope this is helpful to you, and best of luck!

Good job St. Dane! Way to discourage this kid right from the get go. Its people like you who make this process so much more difficult for kids like Josh. God forbid you pay it forward a little and help a newbie out. Just remember at some point you did not have all the knowledge that you might have at this point in time.

Josh, as a few people on here have already said its pretty hard to just throw together all the answers for you in one email. Best advice is to read as much as possible and educate yourself. Use the resources that might be around you. High school or College strength coaches are usually available and very willing to help get someone started.

Do yourself a favor an ignore a guy like St. Dane. Read as much as you can and keep asking question on here and other forums. Trust me, there are more people that will try and help you towards your goal than hinder you!

This is a good post. Josh came to the right place, the beginner's section. Give the guy a break, he's here making an effort to learn about something that he probably hasn't had much experience with in the past. That can suck.

Anyway, Josh, there's been some good advice in this thread. It all pretty much boils down to starting to train ( doing almost anything at all will be better than doing nothing, right?), and cleaning up your diet. Good luck, man.

Take before and after pictures. Show them to people. Have them hold you accountable, and log your diet, and have someone hold you accountable for that. You'll get there. Best of luck.

Or he could just do some research on the readily available articles all across the site...
How am i discouraging him? I'm directing him towards good information and telling him to do some work himself. Sounds like a good idea.
and your first post in 3 years is defending such a broad overasked question.
cheers buddy

sry i'm with dane on this one.

T-Nation isn't a place for hand holding

I'm here to share my experience with you. While I have yet to meet my goals (still fat), I'm finally on the right track. When you do the little things right, everything else falls into place.

The single most important thing to remember is to start small. The majority of people think they can just jump into a healthy life-style, but they're wrong. That's not to say everybody fails, just the majority. The word of power is consistency. Small is much easier to maintain than large. You need to start small.

By this, I mean for the first week you need to pick one thing and change it into something a healthy person would do. I chose breakfast. As the most important meal of the day (though some would argue that), it is the foundation of your fitness. It has been said that nutrition is 90% of the equation, and breakfast is at least 50% of that. You start the day right and it will make all your goals easier to obtain.

I picked a healthy meal that I would eat everyday, no exceptions. It happened to be an egg sandwich with turkey. That sounds like it would be a problem, what with the protein/fat/carb combo, but if you're going to do it, do it for breakfast, and it's a helluva lot better than Cocoa Puffs. With this meal I take fish oil and calcium. You can take whatever you want, as long as you take fish oil. I recommend Flameout from Biotest.

After you become consistent with your breakfast, you can add in other healthy things, like lifting, cardio, and sprints. If you ever "fall off the wagon" it is because you added too much too soon. Don't despair, just back off the last thing you added and keep consistent with what you've been doing.

Keep following these guidelines and eventually everything will fall into place. Pizza will stop looking so good, soda will sicken you; things that once made you salivate will no longer have an effect.

While I've been fat my entire life, I am very experienced in fitness. I'm what you'd call an expert in failure. For years I started too big, failed, rinsed and repeated. It wasn't until last month that I finally figured out what I'd been doing wrong. I started too big. Small and consistent is greater than big and inconsistent.

One more thing that helped me immensely:

The Perfect Rep

Just type that in the search bar. If you feel drained during/after your workout, you're doing it wrong. Tired is one thing, but you need to feel powerful. You need to feel good. Who wants to workout if it just leaves them feeling broken? Following the advise in that article will give you the tools you need to become a beast in the weight room, and to leave it feeling like a beast, albeit a tired one.

Fitness isn't complex, hell, it isn't even hard. You just have to take the right approach. Start small and be consistent.

If the Beginner's Forum isn't for people to ask how the hell do you get started getting in shape, what is it even here for? Yea, there is tons of information, but their are also tons of smart people here who can guide other beginners with their past mistakes.

Welcome to the forum, JDillon. I agree 100% with goochadamg. I'm 6'4", was 307 lbs, but just came off Shugart's old Velocity lite plan (28 days) combined with Dan John's 40 day program and am now 287. Granted, I've been lifting for a while, so my BF wasn't so high, but it can be done. I am going for 250 lbs (in a Dave Tate-esque manner), while maintaining a 325 bench press, 450 lb squat, and 535 lb deadlift.

Personally, my favorite author on the site is Dan John. His 40 Day program (as a lifting program)has been and still is (since I'm still doing it), a shockingly good tool to build my physique back up from injuries I sustained last year.

If you're looking for a place to start reading, I would suggest sifting through Shugart's old articles...he has some great stuff about nutrition.

And don't listen to the asshole's who post on your thread. There are still plenty of us who remember who are first coach was, and who remember that we didn't pop out of the womb benching and squatting before learning to walk. Use their comments as your motivation to shut them up.

One of the easiest ways to keep yourself burning off calories is just to go for a walk every day, 45-60 min per day can really add to whatever else you're doing. Welcome and good luck!

there was a thread a while back with some guy that also wanted to loose 100+ pounds... if i can dig it out it could proberly help you out !!! he made alot of mistakes as far as i remember !

heres some of his threads..

losing that kind of blubber i would think that long term motivation is a bigger problem than having the perfect training program !!!!!

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/100_lbs_fat_loss

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/am_i_sabotaging_my_fat_loss

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/100_lbs_later_still_a_fat_squishy_mess

hope it helps !