New to the forum, looking for help

I’ve been training for about 6 years now. I just turned 23 years old, 6’1, 230 at 20% bodyfat. Currently I’m hitting each bodypart once a week, lifting 3 days and doing cardio on my 4 off days. As far as strength goes, I can bench 265-270, Squat in the low 300’s, and I’ve Hammer Strength Deadlifted 350. I was over 27 % bodyfat last august, and I’ve busted my ass to get it down. I’ve been taking in 275 g of protein, 225 carbs, and 60 g fat. I’ve stalled out though, and I’m going to drop 200 calories from my diet, leaving me at 200 carbs and 250 protein. My goal is to get down to around 15% bodyfat(or lower)by the time I graduate from college this may. I am also interested in gaining strength, and possibly a little bit of size. This is my first post on the forums, and I know it’s very general. I was looking at OVT, and i was thinking of giving that a try for 8 weeks. Also, if anyone has any nutrition advice, that’d be cool too. As far as supplements go, I’m just taking isopure protein (lactose intolerant), multivitamin, zma, and I’ve been taking xenadrine efx for the past 3 weeks. I’m open to suggestions and help from anyone here on the forum. I love this website, it’s a nice break from the rest of the training b.s. on the internet. Thanks for your time everyone. -Greg

After 6 years of training with what sounds like the same type of training, you are ready for a radical switch. I would recomment that you give HST a try which will hit each muscle three times per week. After a couple of cycles of that, you would be well served to try a cycle or two of EDT. Try a lower carb diet to get your bf% down.

You said that your goal is to get down to 15% bodyfat… what is it now? How far do you need to go? That would help as far as the advice giving goes.

Welcome to the forum!

I’m going to have to agree with Gary E…if you want good advice, you’re going to have to give more info. How long have you been dieting? If you’ve been going for a pretty long stretch, your metabolism probably needs a jump start for one. You may need to up your cals to at least maintenance or slightly above depending on the length of your diet. Give us some more details and we’ll be glad to help.

I just reread your post. Your calories are way too low if size and strength are primary objectives, and a little low for cutting as well. Fat sounds a little low as well, especially if it’s not coming from EFA’s like fish, flax, etc. What are your food sources, particularly as far as carbs so?

My suggestion: pick a primary training objective and follow the appropriate diet. Mass/strength: Calories at 10 percent or so OVER maintenance levels (15x bodyweight generally speaking is a good maintenance figure). Cutting: 10-12x bodyweight with a 15-16x bw day every 3-4 days to upregulate the metabolism.

Definitely load up on the fish oil and flax oil, and if you’re very carb-intolerant, check into the T-Dawg 2.0 diet as well as search for the “Poliquin-style diet” threads on the forum…lots of great information there.

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I did some homework this weekend, and this is what I came up with. I read Berardi’s Don’t Diet, and my calories were way too low even for fat loss. I did all the calculations, and I’ll be at 3,200 calories for the next 6 weeks, and then re-evaluate where I am at and adjust the calories at the end of the 6 weeks. I’m also going to go lower on carbs. I’m gonna do the Don’t Diet plan, with 50/15/35 protein, carbs, and fat. Either that or T-Dawg 2.0. For workouts I’m going with meltdown training as it seems to suit my goals for fat loss, and maybe even gaining some lean mass at the same time. For supplements, I’m going to take ZMA, multivitamin, Isopure shakes, flax, omega 3’s, fish oils, and ALA. I wanna take a fat burner too, if anyone has some suggestions, I’d appreciate it. When is Biotest coming out with their ephedra-free fat burner. Again, thanks for everyones help, it’s good to be a part of the forum.

-Greg

I have to disagree with AR’s advice about HST for fat loss. Not saying that it COULDN’T work, but there are better options out there.

Meltdown is a good choice, as would be Fat-to-Fire and Meltdown Two. But I’d stick a 5x5 routine in between there so that you maintain mass and don’t lose too much strength along the way.

I do agree, however, that it sounds like you’ve been basically doing the same thing for six years, training-wise. After you get your fat down, I’d give serious consideration to just going through various T-mag training routines for a year or so (like 12 of them, one per month) to get a feel for all the options that are out there and how they affect your body. At your bodyweight and training age, you should be stronger for your size.