New to T-Nation

Hi guys,

My name is Copats Im 23 and Im from Australia.

I have been exercising and working out now for just over a year, I have gone from 65kgs to 85kgs in that time, but I think that most of my body mass would be fat with a little bit of muscle.

Im looking to bulk and tone, using no supplements, as I have promised my fiance that I would do it this way, and not take any risks with different types of supplements, I also am only looking to do it at home using dumbells, as I have not found a Gym that doesn’t try to upsell and get annoyed when I don’t buy supplements or personal trainers.

I have a training routine that I stick to, 3 nights a week, but it doesn’t seem to be getting me anywhere.

My routine is as follows:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Back

Chest:-

• Dumbell press = 3 x 10 reps
  • Pushups = 3 x 10 reps
  • Dumbell Pullover 3 x 10 reps

Shoulders:-

• Military Press 3 x 10 reps
  • Bent over laterals 3 x 10 reps

Back:-

• Military press 3 x 10 reps
  • One arm dumbell rows 3 x 10 reps
  • Dumbell shrugs 3 x 10 reps

Day 2: Triceps, Biceps, forearms and waist

Triceps:-

• Pulley pushdowns 3 x 10 reps
  • Lying french press 3 x 10 reps
  • Close grip dumbell press 3 x 10 reps

Biceps:-

• EZ preacher curl 3 x 10 reps
  • Alternate dumbell curl 3 x 10 reps
  • Incline dumbell curl 3 x 10 reps

Forearms:-

• Wrist curls 3 x 10 reps

Waist:-

• Crunches 3 x 10 reps
  • Reverse crunches 3 x 10 reps
  • Oblique crunches 3 x 10 reps

Day 3: Legs

Legs:-

• Squat 3 x 10 reps
  • Leg press 3 x 10 reps
  • Leg curls 3 x 10 reps

Calves:-

• Standing calf raises 3 x 10 reps
  • Seated calf raises 3 x 10 reps

I also have a food plan that I monitor, my food from day to day is as follws:

Breakfast:-

• 1 x Banana
  • 2 x Eggs
  • 1 x Bowl of Oats
  • 1 x Coffee

Morning Tea:-

• 2 x Muslie Bars
  • 1 x Cheese snack
  • 1 x Custard cup
  • 1 x Popper

Lunch:-

• 2 x tuna or salmon sandwiches
  • 1 x cup of milo (4 heaped teaspoons)

Afternoon tea:-

• 2 x Muslie Bars
  • 1 x Cheese snack
  • 1 x Fruit cup

Dinner:-

• Large plate of vegies, meat and either cous cous, pasta, rice or noodles, along with an asian or indian sauce

Water:- I drink 2.5 litres of water per day, I usually drink 1 bottle at work, and the other I drink when I’m at home in the afternoon.

This is what I do, I guess I am just looking for some advice as to what I’m doing wrong, and why after all these months, I look the same just a little fatter.

Any imput is good, Im willing to scrap my current routine for a new one if it gets me results, my expectations are to have a nice muscular figure thats also powerful, I dont just want muscles for looks, I am willing to do what it takes, without sacrificing my promise to fiance.

Copats.

A few things:
Relax about the ‘no supplements’ rule enough to get some Whey. Some of the simple stuff that is just Whey and Aminos. Don’t get the nasty shit that has creatine in it or 6,000 grams of sugar in it. It is not a supplement, it is flavoring for your oats. It is no different than your ‘muscli bars’.

As far as the routine goes, for strength purposes it’s not going to get the job done. You should be using weights that you can only lift for 5 or 6 reps with good form. If you can do 10 reps, outside of warmup, you not working on strength anymore.

Starting Strength comes to mind, but there are many strength routines aside from SS that work. Find one you like and do it. Or at the very least adopt some of the principles of these routines into your own.

Having one day for arms is pointless. Add your arm exercises to the other days and do a two day split. Working two of the smallest visible muscles in your body is going to do nothing for fat loss.

You do not have enough pulling in your routine. You will end up with an imbalance which leads to bad things.

Add deadlifts & lunges. Squats and milk.

Intensity levels during your workouts are going to make a difference too. If you’re looking for fat loss, you might want to mix in cardio, but it is different for everyone. I don’t need it, some do.

I’m not sure what a popper or milo is, but you seem to have a ton of sugar in your diet, which is going to add to weight not subtract from it. Replace the fruit you eat aside from breakfast with veggies, and stay away from any non-vegetable carbs. Drop the pasta, rice or noodles. Or at the very least make sure they are whole grain. Get fish oil tabs and take them, a lot of them. Get a multivitamin and take it daily.

Train your body to burn fat instead of carbs for energy, by reducing your carb intake. Which means get the ‘full fat’ version of everything you have that is ‘low fat’ and eliminate non-vegetable carbs. Once you do this and eat at a small deficit your body will begin to ‘burn’ the fat stores it has for energy.

Buy a barbell & plates.

I have never had supplements or trainers pushed on me once I said no the first time at any gym, and I’ve been to over 10, a member at 5.

Why are you so anti-supplement? And what do you consider a supplement?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Why are you so anti-supplement? And what do you consider a supplement?
[/quote]

I am anti supplement, because I have heard nothing but things about them, and I have enough health problems as it is without adding more to it. And I think my idea of supplements is anything that adds extra to your diet, extra protein etc thats not available in food.

Intensity levels during your workouts are going to make a difference too. If you’re looking for fat loss, you might want to mix in cardio, but it is different for everyone. I don’t need it, some do.
[/quote]

I’m not looking for fat loss, as Im not fat, I have a high metabolism so I need to eat lots, I have been told that I need almost a half and half mix of protein and carbs to get results, but there are no natural forms of protein I have found, that are high in protein to have as snacks.

I’m not sure what a popper or milo is, but you seem to have a ton of sugar in your diet, which is going to add to weight not subtract from it.
[/quote]

A popper is a juice box and milo is a chocolate energy drink with vitamins, adding weight is what I want to do, to bulk up. I just think Im doing it the wrong way.

I’m not trying to argue, just confused.

What is the difference between Milo and Whey shakes then?

Sorry for the confusion, when I said fat loss I meant “clean bulk” I guess. You mentioned gaining 20Kgs of mostly fat, which I also assumed you wanted to lose when you said “tone up”

The 50:50 protein:carb ratio is why you gained a lot of fat, coupled with generally low intensity low weight workout.

In simple terms I recommend the following,

More protein, much more, cottage cheese, beef, chicken, pork, any non processed meat, animal protein, and eat it with every meal. I would also stress the benefits of Whey, but if it’s too much for ya, so be it, work harder not smarter, but understand your missing a huge advantage there.

And Whey is VERY natural. Just do some research if you don’t take my word for it.

Eat more Veggies, and check the sugar content of your bars. Replace the bars with a chicken breast. Drop the popper and just eat your fruit.

Stop eating any non-vegetable carbs, and eat at a 60:30:30 ratio of protein:fat:carbs. (eat your bodyweight in grams of protein a day, especially off days.)Sugar is a carb.

And quit the routine you have. Concentrate on compound lifts with weight you can only push/pull for 5 or 6 reps. Squat, Deadlift, bench, row, chins, Military, and powerclean.

Good snacks include:
Cottage Cheese
Nuts
Jerky (be careful with this one.)
Cheese
Spinach
Eggs
Etc�?�

can u suggest any good work out routines? Links are fine; aswell as a good diet plan?

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Here is a good option to start with for routine. There are others also if your not into this. But as far as a routine, it is going to be up to you, what you like, what you know you’ll like.

I do recomend you get an Oly bar and plates thou, gonna need it whatever you do. All so look into west side for skinny bastards.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/my_diet_and_work_out

See his second diet at the end of the thread, just change what he has for shakes for chicken breast, eggs, beef, etc.

I would also add a few grams of fish oil a day too.

Cheers, I have done alot of research and came up with that workout plan, so obviously did’nt do enough, I will research some more, find a good diet, and a good routine, I can stick to it and I dont mind repetitive meals, as long as I get results.

thanks for your help.

no problem.

There is a proverbal sea of information out there. None of us have ever done enough research