T Nation

New to T-Nation, Heres My Current Workout

I am new to the T-Nation forums but not to the site. I thought I would start by posting my current training schedule. Primary goal is always strength but I switched to higher reps recently as I was doing low reps the last few months. It's kind of unusual so I wanted to get opinions...

Chest/Tricep Day
Group 1
3x12 Bench press
3x10 Dip
3x10 Flys
3x8 Decline Machine Bench
Group 2
3x12 Military Press
3x12 CloseGrip Press
3x10 Lat Raise
3x8 Incline Machine Bench

Back/Bicep Day
Group 1
4x8 Machine Row
3x12 Widegrip Pulldown
3x12 Cable Row
3x8 DB Curl
Group 2
5x5 Deadlift
3x8 Pulldown
3x8 Upright Row
3x10 Barbell Pullover

Legs
Group 1
1x20 Squat
3x12 Seated Calf
3x12 Standing Calf
3x15 Leg Raises for Abs
Group 2
5x5 Front Squat
3x8 Leg Curl
3x10 Leg Extension
3x15 Weighted Ab Machine

And here's the confusing part
-Split day means I do group 1 in the morning, and group 2 later in the day
-Full day means I do both Groups in 1 workout going in this order
Group 1: first exercise all sets
Group 2: first exercise all sets
Group 1: second exercise all sets
Group 2: last exercise all sets

Saturday: Chest/Tricep Full day
Sunday: Back/Biceps Full day
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Legs Split day
Wednesday: Chest/Triceps Split
Thursday: Back/Biceps Split
Friday: Cardio
Saturday: Repeat but starting with Leg day since it comes next

If Back/Bicep day falls on a weekend I do Deadlifts either Friday or Monday on its own, it's hard to get a good full workout when you start with heavy Deadlifts.

age, height, weight, time training…
Is this working for you? I mean, really?

My question is, why? Why are you splitting the exercises over two sessions some days? Why have you chosen the exercises that you have, and in the order that you have? Why have you chosen this particular split?

Personally, it looks like to me that you’re trying to be “clever” with your programming.
And that rarely works out. I’m assuming you are pretty much a rank beginner.
This has been said to hundreds, if not thousands, of other beginners that have tried to make their own clever program-
Do a program that is written for beginners, by someone who knows better than you.
There are just too many good beginner programs out there to have a reason to try and write your own. Really.
Starting strength, ws4sb’s-- It’s the same prescription given to 1000’s of others.

In case you are not convinced-
There are some major issues I have with the program, apart from really not understanding why you are splitting it up the way that you are-

You have 6 chest exercises. Try hitting just one or two and getting good at them.
You include shoulders on the so-called “chest/triceps” day.

On your back day you have 6 back exercises- try, deadlift+ one vertical pull, one horizontal pull. If you are doing 5x5 deadlifts you should hardly be able to move, let alone do 166 other reps for your back.
Do deadlifts.
Do a bb or db row.
Do pull-ups or variations.
Upright rows are a shoulder exercise.

If you are doing 20 rep squats, there is NO WAY you should be able to come back into the gym in the afternoon and do another squat variation, plus leg curls/extentions.

If strength is really the goal, then go back to doing lower reps. Adding weight to the bar is all the change you need to shock your muscles into growth.

I really hope that I didn’t come across as too harsh. I really do want to help you get started on a better path.
Check out SS and ws4sb’s, read or re-read the stickes at the top of the forum. Get a basic understanding of nutrition. Then eat, lift, sleep and grow.

I really hope this helps.

Age 26, 6’5" and 225lbs, surprisingly I think this actually IS working for me at least in the short term.

I do agree that maybe less chest exericses may help. Also the name I gave each day is not 100% accurate, its more like Upper body day 1 and upper body day 2, where day 2 is opposite movements of the first day, with a few exceptions.

I have always tried to keep my workouts somewhat balanced by that. 6 back and 6 chest may be too much but at least its 6/6 and not 6/2 or something. I’m going on vacation in a few weeks and will completely change it up when I get back. The 5-3-1 program looks good which I would follow closely to the book.

I think this may be a good topic for its own thread just to hear what people think. Except for the program, at what point do you consider someone beginner/intermediate/advanced level?

You’re a pretty big dude, man 6’5" is actually fuckin massive, although I guess 225lbs doesn’t look that big spread over so much height? I unno…

Yeah, it’s good that you’ve tried to keep things balanced. Like I said, I still think it’s way too much volume, especially considering the frequency.

I think checking out 5/3/1 would be an awesome idea, from what Ive heard and seen it’s a brilliant program.

I personally would consider someone a beginner until they-

1. Can squat over 1.5 BW for reps,
  2. Can DL over 2x BW for reps,
    and most importantly-
  3. Can no longer make linear gains.

I actually believe that there was an article written about “standards”, maybe someone with more patience for the search function will post a link.

I’ve had these pages bookmarked.

[quote]tassietaekwon wrote:

If strength is really the goal, then go back to doing lower reps. Adding weight to the bar is all the change you need to shock your muscles into growth.

[/quote]

Why did you go for high reps? Was there any valid reason? People often do things just for the sake of it with no real purpose. The above quote is a common wisdom and you should stick to it unless there is that VALID reason.

Same with exercise selection and with you split. What exactly is the reasoning behind that?

Choose the best exercises for each body part, work them into a split that will give you recovery, progress with the weight. That’s it.

Most of the high rep ones were because I was not making progress on the low rep version. I started it all out as more of a maintenance program then modified a bit as I went. Normally I keep everything about the same such as all low or all high rep. I had been making progress with low rep deadlitfs and high rep squats so I just kept it like that this time.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Most of the high rep ones were because I was not making progress on the low rep version. I started it all out as more of a maintenance program then modified a bit as I went. Normally I keep everything about the same such as all low or all high rep. I had been making progress with low rep deadlitfs and high rep squats so I just kept it like that this time.[/quote]

if you werent making progress it usually means you aren’t eating enough.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Most of the high rep ones were because I was not making progress on the low rep version. I started it all out as more of a maintenance program then modified a bit as I went. Normally I keep everything about the same such as all low or all high rep. I had been making progress with low rep deadlitfs and high rep squats so I just kept it like that this time.[/quote]

But what about your pressing? 12 reps is a lot. Why maintain only? There are other ways to progress than increasing volume. I would do the opposite - decrease the volume of the original training and work with even bigger weight. After a couple of training sessions you go back to the original volume and try to progress.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

I think this may be a good topic for its own thread just to hear what people think. Except for the program, at what point do you consider someone beginner/intermediate/advanced level?
[/quote]

A beginner will look in the mirror and think he is bigger than he really is. He will try to do way too much in the gym at one time, thinking more is better and alot more must be great. He looks at the big guy in the gym doing reps and thinks he is doing them wrong.

An intermediate lifter will look in the mirror and see size, and know the the journey to huge will take some time but it will be worth it. He knows intensity is better than volume and will be in and out of the gym in a short time. He asks the big guy why he lifts a certain way because he wants to know how to get big.

An advanced lifter looks in the mirror and thinks he is smaller than he is. He knows how to add muscle, lose fat, why each lift works in different ways and how to get the most from the time spent in the gym. He is the big guy in the gym.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
sufiandy wrote:

A beginner will look in the mirror and think he is bigger than he really is. He will try to do way too much in the gym at one time, thinking more is better and alot more must be great. He looks at the big guy in the gym doing reps and thinks he is doing them wrong.

An intermediate lifter will look in the mirror and see size, and know the the journey to huge will take some time but it will be worth it. He knows intensity is better than volume and will be in and out of the gym in a short time. He asks the big guy why he lifts a certain way because he wants to know how to get big.

An advanced lifter looks in the mirror and thinks he is smaller than he is. He knows how to add muscle, lose fat, why each lift works in different ways and how to get the most from the time spent in the gym. He is the big guy in the gym.

[/quote]

Nice one!

Just started a real training log since I am no longer doing this one anymore

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/just_another_531_log