T Nation

New to Strongman

Hi guys,

I’m new to strongman type training and am looking for some advice.

How many different exercises/sets/reps does a typical strongman type workout consist of?

I assume that the duration of the workout ahould be no longer than normal i.e. upto one hour. I’m also assuming that standard pre-post workout nutrition is appropriate.

Thanks for any advice

Here’s an awesome article by Joe DeFranco, about Strongman training:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=496297

The pre- and post-workout nutrition will be standard stuff, yes. Just wondering, do you have access to actual strongman equipment, or will you be imrpovising?

I only have access to equipment that you would find in a standard gym at the moment but I’m going to my university bar tonight to enquire about a keg. I’m just not sure where I could put it!

I plan on doing some dumbbell farmer’s walks, some overhead walks and some deadlift walks. I might put some plates in a bag and try to carry it around for a bit too. I’ll be trying to do some Turkish get ups as a finisher.

There isn’t much variety here but I think it will be fun and effective!

Thanks for the link - good one.

Strongman training can be set up a number of different ways. Some people just add some finishers at the end of their workouts. Others like to devote an entire day strictly for event training. It really depends on your goals. Are hoping to compete or just doing it for fun?

One thing that’s usually lacking is grip strength…muy importante! Farmer’s walks are good for grip depending on what/how you’re doing them.

[quote]Built Big wrote:
Strongman training can be set up a number of different ways. Some people just add some finishers at the end of their workouts. Others like to devote an entire day strictly for event training. It really depends on your goals. Are hoping to compete or just doing it for fun?[/quote]

I’m not looking to compete. I’m a young athlete playing mainly rugby, soccer and golf.

I’m using the template that Charles Staley provided in his latest article. It emphasized trying to have more fun when training and included a strongman type training session each week.

I’ve just got back from my first go it. My dad says that I’ve never done a hard days work in my life but I think that’s changed now! I really enjoyed the challenge too and got quite a lot of attention doing the Turkish get ups.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
One thing that’s usually lacking is grip strength…muy importante! Farmer’s walks are good for grip depending on what/how you’re doing them. [/quote]

Spot on about the grip strength! My grip was the first thing to give out everytime.

I was considering doing half of the farmers walks raw and half of them with straps (What a pussy!). Would that be reasonable?