New to strongman

Ok so I powerlift for Texas Tech University. And I want to try out strongman so I’m gonna start training for it along with my powerlifting and compete as soon as possible After nationals in august.
unofficially my lifts are ( I lift raw)
Bench:415 (bench has gone down recently due to a injury to my wrist)
Squat 550
Deadlift: 580 (a little over 600 with a hitch)

I am 5’10" and I fluctuate with my weight between 290-305

my body fat% is a little high but i’m sure the extra training will change that.

I’ll be keeping a log on this forum but hoping I will receive some constructive criticism and helpful info to help me excel. My main focuses on training will be Overhead presses a lot of shoulder specific work and tricep and lockout strength along with deadlift and squats. I Live in Lubbock, Tx and haven’t been able to find a facility that would have any type of strongman equipment so event training will be extremely limited if any at all.

I can’t help you in finding strongman gyms, but where’s your OH at? That’s an integral component to the sport. Get stronger all over especially with pulls and OH presses. There’s several noteworthy strongmen on this site that you could PM. Prostrongmanzack and Kalle are the first that come to mind (they both keep updated training logs on this site), but there are others. Shakes has a lot of connections (from what I’ve seen) and may know about people near your area.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
I can’t help you in finding strongman gyms, but where’s your OH at? That’s an integral component to the sport. Get stronger all over especially with pulls and OH presses. There’s several noteworthy strongmen on this site that you could PM. Prostrongmanzack and Kalle are the first that come to mind (they both keep updated training logs on this site), but there are others. Shakes has a lot of connections (from what I’ve seen) and may know about people near your area.[/quote]

Well as of right now my OH is pretty low. the highest I’ve ever done on something like a clean and press was 295-300 for a couple sets of 5. My shoulders are the weakest part of my body and very hard for me to build up. But most of my focus will mostly be on bringing up shoulder work to the rest of my lifts. And thanks i’ll try to get a hold of those people.

There is a lot of strongman gyms down in texas but like here it is a big ass state. I would recommend contacting your state chair as they should know the closest gym or crew to you. Which happens to be 3x worlds strongest women Jill Mills

Texas
Jill Mills
2671 CR 320
Floresville, TX 78114
210-846-4392
E-mail: jillmills72@gmail.com

people were putting together a list of gyms on marunde-muscle

its probably worth looking through

300+ lbs and 510’ and strong… shit that makes for a mean combo. your already above the 1000 in your core lifts and you competed lifting in college. sounds like you have all the makings of a real tough strongman. good luck but as far as advice i dont got much, im more of the motivational type.

so quick motivation!!
1)Don?t forget to use a training log to keep track of where you?ve been and where you?re going. Write you goals down in the log. Don?t forget to track sleep patterns, water intake, conditioning sessions, warm-up exercises?

2)Get good training partners, training partners that are stronger than you and never lose that desire to get bigger, faster and stronger.

3)Stop being negative, instead of ?Why don?t I have something??, say to yourself ?Why am I so good at working hard for what I want and achieving my goals??

4)Don?t worry about other people?s PR?s, set your own.

5)Watch Pinaple Express 5x

Hashahaha

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback and help and tips! Keep 'em coming because I could use all the help I could get!

There are alot of gyms/people down in Texas for you. Best advice I can give is find a good group of guys that you like and like you. Having someone to help out in the beginning is invaluable.

Best of luck, have fun with it, strongman is a blast!

It’s proving harder to find people out in Lubbock, Tx. No one likes to squat or deadlift… Apparently its “bad for you”. So I may be riding solo on this strongman training for a little while!

So i’ve been continuing a lot of of my powerlifting workouts so i’d have a partner to work with. I started up the Smolov routine for both my bench and squat. But shoulders, upper back, and cardio is on my own.

What are your thoughts on 5/3/1? One of the main lifts included is the OH Press. It’s still more of a powerlifting/ strength program but I like that it gives plenty of room for variation. I’ve been able to include Tire flips, farmers walks, sledgehammer work, and sled pulling/ pushing after lifting as well as working on the Oly Lifts and accessory stuff after the main lifts.

As much as I love getting stronger on my lifts, I’ve always been more interested in Strongman and have only just recently (Since Dec.) started using 5/3/1 and have made major improvements all around.

For cheap Equipment I highly recommend getting a keg or two and filling them with sand and/or water. Great for lifting, carrying, throwing, etc. Cost me about $20 from the Distributor here in Cincinnati but I imagine one could “Find” one near campus for free. They’re extremely durable, take up little space, and easy to adjust weight by just filling or pouring out water.

[quote]tonypluto wrote:
What are your thoughts on 5/3/1? One of the main lifts included is the OH Press. It’s still more of a powerlifting/ strength program but I like that it gives plenty of room for variation. I’ve been able to include Tire flips, farmers walks, sledgehammer work, and sled pulling/ pushing after lifting as well as working on the Oly Lifts and accessory stuff after the main lifts.

As much as I love getting stronger on my lifts, I’ve always been more interested in Strongman and have only just recently (Since Dec.) started using 5/3/1 and have made major improvements all around.

For cheap Equipment I highly recommend getting a keg or two and filling them with sand and/or water. Great for lifting, carrying, throwing, etc. Cost me about $20 from the Distributor here in Cincinnati but I imagine one could “Find” one near campus for free. They’re extremely durable, take up little space, and easy to adjust weight by just filling or pouring out water.[/quote]

I’ve actually never tried out the 5/3/1 method on anything. I just might start though for my OHP which is something i need work on. As for equipment i know kegs are easy to get and use its just finding space for them and an adequate training area. Plus training partners would always be nice. But i’ll definitely try out that 5/3/1!

I’m having trouble with finding a lifting partner myself. My circle of friends are more interested in skating and drinking than doing anything else. I was lifting with my 16yo cousin for awhile but he’s only interested in benching and not very reliable. So for now my partner is a Stopwatch.

@tonypluto When you say you get kegs from the local distributor, what do you mean? Do you get them from a liquor store, bottling plant?

@Biggins I currently do 5/3/1 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and then do events on Saturday. Works well for me.

There’s an Anhauser-Busch distributor close to where I lived. It’s basically where all the trucks go to pick up and distribute beer to the stores and bars in the area or where you go to get a keg for a party or whatever.

I follow almost the same protocol as well except that I sometimes can’t help doing conditioning/ events after the 5/3/1 workouts. I love playing with my tractor tire and farmers walks on dead lift days.

Hey biggins are you still active in this forum?