T Nation

New to Powerlifting

Hello…just have a few questions I want to ask in regards to powerlifting

…just a quick breakdown 1st… iv been lifting constistanly for 10 months now bb style
if you want to say that and like most people who startout I skimmed thru a bunch of top bodybuilders
routines …and while I gained a decent amount of muscle for me In that time I also injured. my self in the process
endingup with shoulder and elbow problems… and even with theses injuries I continued to train…luckily they just seemed to slowly stop hurting…but they get stiff if I dont warmup and stretch before and after every workout not to mention. the occasional. whirlpool soaks…

let just saying advance sorry for the runon sentences. I wasent a good English student …anyway iv come to a point where I’m giveing my self 2 weeks off from training supplements and all as this will be the 1st time in this ten months I have done this … and my body is telling me I need a rest and has been for a while …so now finally the question after my 2 weeks I want to start to build strength so I can grow more big compound movements I want to be able to later on translate my strength gains from powerlifting in to my bb training to move closer to my goals …so in order not to replay my previous. 10 months I’m here getting as much info as I can …,…so

how do I go about transitioning for bb to pl I’m 170-175 lbs 5’6.
I have been training 4days on 1 off then repeat. sample would be

chest/back … bi’tri … legs … shoulders’forearms’calves. cardio and abs every other day 10 mins. slow trott

there’s so much info bouncing around on these fourms that it makes it difficult at times so if its not to much to ask can some 1 break it down foe me in a good example of how I should start and progress thruought this training…

thanks

First, (and I know you already acknowledged this) but clean up your grammar and sentence structure. It will make it so much easier for others to read it and to help you out. Complete sentences, with proper punctuation and all, will go a long way in helping you.

Now, on to your question:

Simply put, find any decent-looking strength oriented program and run it for at least 6 months. There is no “best” program. Look at 5/3/1, Starting Strength, the millions of basic peaking programs out there, and what have you, and just pick one. Keep everything centered around the squat, deadlift, and bench press, and the assistance and accessory movements that are relevant to those movements, and you will find success.

The best thing to do is to go out and lift. That’s it. Do you think Doug Hepburn or Arthur Saxon worried about doing things absolutely “right”? Hell no, they just went out and lifted heavy fucking objects. If they got better at moving those heavy objects, then they kept on doing what they were doing; if they didn’t improve, they changed something.

Don’t mind black angus… he’s an angry man… unless he’s a girl, in which case I might be in love.

I’ve got 10 minutes… and you want this laid out… here we go.

First: Do these 2 warm ups everday, they’ll injury proof you, and help out your shoulder.

Do not skip them, they’re very important.

Second- google sheiko 29, find an english version and start doing that. It’s a 3x a week program, but you can split it up by dividing the squat/bench and deadlift/bench and go like this monday - squats tuesday - bench, wed-deads, thurs-bench, fri-squats, sat-bench

Follow this program up with sheiko 37, then 30,31, then get in touch with me and I’ll tell you what to do next.

After squats work your hamstrings/glutes, after bench do 5 sets of machine rows and 5 sets of face pulls, after deadlifts do split squats. besides abs, I wouldn’t do much else.

Third, buy weightlifting shoes.

Fourth watch this video, memorize it, and squat like this:

Fifth, watch this video series, all of them, and bench like this, learning how to arch and use your lats and tuck your elbows are going to huge for you, and get you over your bad shoulder. as well as increase your bench.

Sixth, watch this video to learn how to line up your deadlift, watch both parts.

as well as this one.

Then watch this guy pull, and deadlift like him.

Seventh and most important, powerlifting is a sport, start seeing your training as practice, and practice your lifts, through proper form will the strength come.

Eighth, video all your lifts from the side, and post them on here so I can give your some feedback and see what you’re doing well, and what you can improve on.

Do all of that, there’s not much more to know to be honest, that’s powerlifting in a nutshell.

Lol Larry sometimes I feel you have to much time on your hands but great advice.

Lilhelpz listen to Larry espeacially the part about Black Angus he 9/10 nails what the problem right on the head but, he is angry lol.
Dont take it personal.

I own a business, so I set my own hours, but I’m getting out of it and heading into personal training, my course starts Jan 11th, so I likely won’t have as much time then.

I’ve also gotten to the point in my career where I feel I get more out of helping and teaching and coaching then trying to learn, I’ve more or less exhausted every resource I have and I’ve used many. I’m still very open to learning new things, but I just take it as it comes now instead of killing myself to find it… I’ve also been writing a lot of articles, I’ve got 3 for consideration for T-Nation, I’m just trying to finish my first one, and it’s been a lot of researching studies and citing references, so when I need a break I come over here and see what I can do to help.

I’ve learned a lot of new useful things from this board, my biggest takeaway so far has been side lying clams, they’ve really helped to clear up some annoying sciatica I’ve been having for the last 6ish months if not longer.

take care my friend

Larry, with a 6x a week template, what do you do if you have to miss a day?

you can make it up on Sunday, I’ve done that here and there, or you can simply miss the day and get back on the wagon as soon as you can.

I’ve rarely if ever missed a day though.

well let me say thanks for takeing the time to give so much information… with this 2 weeks off

I’m going to review every thing you have posted a shit. ton and make sure I understand it fully

I will also try my best to post videos as soon as a can once I get started lifting …

thanks again

Larry that was a nice series of excellent advice. What course are you starting for personal training if you don’t mind me asking?

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Larry that was a nice series of excellent advice. What course are you starting for personal training if you don’t mind me asking?[/quote]

Hey Tim,

thanks for the feedback on the advice, relieves me a lot to know I’m on the right track.

I also really enjoyed your article on benching 400, I whole heartedly agree with you on the benching 3x a week, gaining weight and taking more singles, all something I’ve been working on lately.

The course I’m taking is nothing serious, just a canfit pro to work at a commercial Goodlife.

It’s a foot in the door, and all the great trainers I know started there, so it made sense to me to start there as well.

Hope all is well

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
I own a business, so I set my own hours, but I’m getting out of it and heading into personal training, my course starts Jan 11th, so I likely won’t have as much time then.

I’ve also gotten to the point in my career where I feel I get more out of helping and teaching and coaching then trying to learn, I’ve more or less exhausted every resource I have and I’ve used many. I’m still very open to learning new things, but I just take it as it comes now instead of killing myself to find it… I’ve also been writing a lot of articles, I’ve got 3 for consideration for T-Nation, I’m just trying to finish my first one, and it’s been a lot of researching studies and citing references, so when I need a break I come over here and see what I can do to help.

I’ve learned a lot of new useful things from this board, my biggest takeaway so far has been side lying clams, they’ve really helped to clear up some annoying sciatica I’ve been having for the last 6ish months if not longer.

take care my friend[/quote]

Hey Larry just skip the articles and write a whole damn book bro! Put me down for 2 copies right away, thanks lol

[quote]tattoo’d’popeye wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

Hey Larry just skip the articles and write a whole damn book bro! Put me down for 2 copies right away, thanks lol
[/quote]

One of my goals from when I first joined T-Nation has been to write an article that was featured on the site. It would seriously mean the world to me to be amongst the crowd that has already contributed.

My big article is about the raw squat and I’m putting my life into it right now. When I need a break I come over and contribute what I can to the site.

I’m very nervous that it won’t be good enough, but I’m willing to work at it until it is good enough. I’ve already been in contact with TC, and I’m really looking forward to getting his feedback.

Either way, I’ve learned a lot from writing it, and that makes it totally worth it to me.

If I ever do write a book, I’ll send you 2 free signed copies.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[/quote]

One of my goals from when I first joined T-Nation has been to write an article that was featured on the site. It would seriously mean the world to me to be amongst the crowd that has already contributed.

My big article is about the raw squat and I’m putting my life into it right now. When I need a break I come over and contribute what I can to the site.

I’m very nervous that it won’t be good enough, but I’m willing to work at it until it is good enough. I’ve already been in contact with TC, and I’m really looking forward to getting his feedback.

Either way, I’ve learned a lot from writing it, and that makes it totally worth it to me.

If I ever do write a book, I’ll send you 2 free signed copies.[/quote]

We may have goten off on the wrong foot, but I sure hope you can get your article on here. Ill certainly give it a read, the best of luck.

[quote]Chicksan wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[/quote]

If I ever do write a book, I’ll send you 2 free signed copies.[/quote]

We may have goten off on the wrong foot, but I sure hope you can get your article on here. Ill certainly give it a read, the best of luck.

[/quote]

I didn’t think we got off on the wrong foot, just different opinions man, no big whoop.

And thanks for the well wishes on the article, working on it right now

I guess not wanting to spoonfeed people and encouraging people to think critically is being angry. No wonder this country is falling behind academically.

lmao