New to Powerlifting, Tips?

You all definetly know more than I do for sure. I my self just try to get in about 5000 calories a day get about 250 grams of protein and like 400 carbs in a day. But if you can definatly listen to these guys, Ive learned alot about pwoerlifting just from reading these forums. I’d just say man just prowl around T-Nation and read everything you can, helped me alot.

find an experienced powerlifter to take a hard look at your technique.

Find an experienced lifter/coach to train with. It’ll save you a lot of time and suffering. I starting training alone past forty and accomplished a lot but I probably would’ve gotten there quicker with help. My eldest son started training me two years ago and my numbers went through the roof.

If also started powerlifting about 2 months ago. I don’t have a coach or any experienced mentors to help teach me, but I go on elitefts.com religiously and I’ve learned a lot from all the articles and videos on there and what I’ve learned from that website has helped me make significant gains in my lifts

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]OfekB wrote:
I weigh 190lbs I meant a powerlifting tips in terms of training and diet[/quote]
Hey man as a fellow 16 year old here are a few things i have found to help me out alot. Reguardless of what others say just keep doing what your doing. I’ve been to many gyms that I’ve gotten kicked out form because I’m a “dangerous lifter”. Have to remeber to basically eat anything and everything at this age. I read a few articals on lifting when your young and they recommended anything that has calories,and protien. I’ve found when I get in about a gram of protein per pound of body weight my gains came incredibly fast.
Also if anyone is interested I’m 250 ,6’1". Best lifts 315 bench 500 pound squat and 385 deadlift.[/quote]

Dude you need to Squat deeper. No way your Squatting 125lbs over your Deadlift unless in a suit but that just wouldnt make since.

[quote]CaveMan_Lifting wrote:
If also started powerlifting about 2 months ago. I don’t have a coach or any experienced mentors to help teach me, but I go on elitefts.com religiously and I’ve learned a lot from all the articles and videos on there and what I’ve learned from that website has helped me make significant gains in my lifts
[/quote]

What were your starting numbers and what are your current numbers?

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:

[quote]OfekB wrote:
I weigh 190lbs I meant a powerlifting tips in terms of training and diet[/quote]
Hey man as a fellow 16 year old here are a few things i have found to help me out alot. Reguardless of what others say just keep doing what your doing. I’ve been to many gyms that I’ve gotten kicked out form because I’m a “dangerous lifter”. Have to remeber to basically eat anything and everything at this age. I read a few articals on lifting when your young and they recommended anything that has calories,and protien. I’ve found when I get in about a gram of protein per pound of body weight my gains came incredibly fast.
Also if anyone is interested I’m 250 ,6’1". Best lifts 315 bench 500 pound squat and 385 deadlift.[/quote]

Dude you need to Squat deeper. No way your Squatting 125lbs over your Deadlift unless in a suit but that just wouldnt make since.[/quote]

They’re probably just interwebz #s

[quote]Reed wrote:
Dude you need to Squat deeper. No way your Squatting 125lbs over your Deadlift unless in a suit but that just wouldnt make since.[/quote]
Read his post again. He lists his lifts in Kg and lb, but his dead is heavier than his squat.

I am also a 16 year old powerlifter. I’ve only been doing it for a couple years now, but its been going well. You want to focus on your form, stick with the bar and learn the technique. Powerlifting technique is very different from bodybuilding technique. I’ll start with squat.

Learn how to break parallel every single rep during practice and at a meet. Work your hip flexibility. Try high bar and low bar squats.

for bench, try an arch. It will help a lot with staying tight and the tighter the better off you’ll be. Learn how to use your legs when benching. Always tuck the elbows.

deadlift, the big boy lift. The meet doesnt end until the weight hits the floor. You can lift either sumo or conventional. I prefer conventional. I was never able to do over 500 with sumo, but with my conventional im at about 615. I’m going for 635 this next week at my state meet. Learn both techniques, sumo will help you with your squat, even if you dont use it at a meet it will help you. Use it for warm up sets (if you are going to lift conventional) and vis versa. for conventional, close your grip, and make sure to always have your chest up. With both techniques, once your ass pops up, the lift is gone (unless you’re gifted with a strong back. In conventional you can come back from something like that.)

eat right, sleep a lot, train like a beast! Get used to going heavy weight, 3x3 and 5x5 usually works well when starting off. Hope this helps and best of luck to your powerlifting career!

The one thing I REALLY wish I was better about when I first started PLing is prehab/recovery stuff. At 16, you’ll make a lot of progress very quickly, which can lead to injury. Do your foam rolling, mobility work, pull the sled, buy some neoprene elbow and knee sleeves, take your fish oils, get enough rest, etc.

tips:

1. learn to power clean, and use as a warm up (i.e. not heavy) for the SQ & DL
  2. SQ once a week
  3. DL once a week
    4 take a break every so often (4-8 weeks) and use lower weights, though you might use this time to max out the power clean.
  4. Make sure you actively promote shoulder health: work the rotator cuff, flexibility, and balance push & pull.