New to PL. Where Should I Be?

ive been lifting heavy for about 9 months now, although i actually just got into powerlifting about a month ago. In the past 9 months ive gone from weighing in at 170 to 210(some of that 40lbs is fat), im 5’11". Ive gone from a 300lb max deadlift to a 435lb, my bench has gone from 185 to 260 (i just learned the proper way to bench about a month ago) and my squat has gone from 275 to 335.

I was just wondering what kind of weight i should be maxxing out at considering my size and experience. Ive noticed that there are guys on here who are smaller than me are putting up heavier weights than me

[quote]CaveMan_Lifting wrote:
ive been lifting heavy for about 9 months now, although i actually just got into powerlifting about a month ago. In the past 9 months ive gone from weighing in at 170 to 210(some of that 40lbs is fat), im 5’11". Ive gone from a 300lb max deadlift to a 435lb, my bench has gone from 185 to 260 (i just learned the proper way to bench about a month ago) and my squat has gone from 275 to 335.

I was just wondering what kind of weight i should be maxxing out at considering my size and experience. Ive noticed that there are guys on here who are smaller than me are putting up heavier weights than me[/quote]
It takes a long time to develop strength. A lot of it is training your nervous system. Muscle size and strength are not nearly as correlated as most regular folks think. So it wouldn’t be fair for you to compare yourself to a 165lb guy who is a very experienced powerlifter and has trained his muscles and his CNS for years longer than you.

Wherever you are is where you’re supposed to be.

[quote]CaveMan_Lifting wrote:
I was just wondering what kind of weight i should be maxxing out at considering my size and experience.[/quote]
More than you did last week.

Dont worry about what others are doing and just focus on your training. You seem to have made some great gains already, dont stop. Just dont get complacent and keep wanting more.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Dont worry about what others are doing and just focus on your training. You seem to have made some great gains already, dont stop. Just dont get complacent and keep wanting more.[/quote]

/thread

I’d back off on the food…

You added 40lbs of body weight, but your bench went up 75 pounds and your squat 60lbs…

Your squat should be going 275->335 in nine months WITHOUT needing to add bodyweight.

At 5’11" 198 is a good class to compete in. Lose some initial fat weight and then slowly recomp while adding weight to the bar.

Attack small goals (that next five lb PR) but keep the big picture in mind.

I wouldn’t worry, sounds like your making very solid progress

in the gym

Keep hammering. Get on a program and exhaust it. I started on 531 and got everything I could from it. Still have a long way to go. Thats the fun part. Always something to shoot for.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
I’d back off on the food…

You added 40lbs of body weight, but your bench went up 75 pounds and your squat 60lbs…

Your squat should be going 275->335 in nine months WITHOUT needing to add bodyweight.

At 5’11" 198 is a good class to compete in. Lose some initial fat weight and then slowly recomp while adding weight to the bar.

Attack small goals (that next five lb PR) but keep the big picture in mind.[/quote]

Yea I kinda figures 40lbs was quite a bit. I’ve noticed a good amount of muscle growth but a definite decrease in tone. I know I’ll have to do some cardio, especially to increase my GPP. Thanks for the input! By the way I actually PRd squat at 370 today

I actually put up 370 for squat today instead of the 335 I had originally posted