T Nation

New to Olympic Lifts

hello hope everyone is doing well, I have been reading T-Nation articles for a while but only just decided to join up.
I have been training mostly bodybuilding type workouts and only been looking into Olympic lifts for 2months, reading articles and looking at videos to get to know the right technique and good habits for the lifts. The gym I train at is not really made for this type of lifting its just a leisure center in North west London, my max snatch is not very heavy lol I can clean around 70-80kg but have trouble with the Split jerk which I max out at 70kg.

I am looking to get into this more and would like to workout at a gym where I can get pointers and train with people who enjoy this type of lifting.

Any help would be great, thanks :slight_smile:

Koing. London. Help this man.

I’m also in the same boat but I kinda already know the answer to the question:

Find a local olympic weightlifting club:

Go there as often as you can and get in-person coaching on how to do the snatch and C&J.

I guess if your life depended on it you could teach yourself how to do the lifts via YouTube, (which is what I’m trying to do as I have next to no money), but you need a gym with lots of space and bumper plates.

edit: that website doesn’t have all the clubs on it though, you may be able to find a few closer ones through google.

Goodfellow I have been to that website bunel is 45mins away from me and genesis I wouldnt like to go there as I have been there once in the past and did not like the cramped up space and the obvious steroid users.
Also money is not as free flowing as it use to be so I have a rusty bar n with around 30kg weights in my garden which isnt great.

Are you closer to white hart lane?

Theres the wood green weightlifting club

Wood Green Weight Lifting Club, New River Sports Centre, White Hart Lane, N22 5QW Tel:020 8889 9393

I found that through searching other forums, 30 minutes from me, I’ll check it out eventually, once my front squat and back squat isn’t too embarassing.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Are you closer to white hart lane?

Theres the wood green weightlifting club

Wood Green Weight Lifting Club, New River Sports Centre, White Hart Lane, N22 5QW Tel:020 8889 9393

I found that through searching other forums, 30 minutes from me, I’ll check it out eventually, once my front squat and back squat isn’t too embarassing.[/quote]

I don’t understand this mentality. The Oly coach will be happy to coach you and have you as part of their team. They are not expecting huge numbers. Just that you listen, train hard and be consistent.

Wood Green Weight lifting club? I never heard of that place. Not sure if I’ve met any of their lifters over the past 13yrs.

OP go to Brunel. Mike is there. Great guy, 3x Olympian. They have some nice guys down there

Super, 135/ 165
77kg 85/120
85 100 125
a few others.

Koing

I’ve met the coach at Wood Green about 50x apparently. I just can’t remember what he looks like. But he has a 56kg that won the Nationals.

Sauro read this you bandit!

Koing

Alright Koing i’ll take your advice and go to the club asap!

Side note:
I tested out my new Do-wins today, did 40+ sets of squats.

I think I need another 0.25" in my heels, should I get them modified or just focus on my ankle mobility more?

@sultan I don’t know what your travel arrangements are but if you are specifically looking for somewhere to lift in NW London there is a weightlifting class once a week at Middlesex University Hendon Campus (NW4 4BT). They have a newly build area just for oly lifting, eleiko equipment etc.

Iv’e been there only a few times, the people who are attend are a nice bunch of casual lifters, the coach should help you considerably if you are new to the sport. http://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/mdx/sport/takepart/class/index.aspx That’s the timetable, weightlifting is 7-9 on Wednesdays for £5 a session or less if u become a member.

Hope this was of help to you.

hi mate, im from NW aswell in same position, same lifts ironically. clubs that are good are europa weightlifting in south london (erith) and bethnal green but they are difficult to get hold of maybe ring them. looking to enrol on their next course.

learn online in meantime…california strength very useful and check out ironmind for jim schmitz articles, and jon norths youtube page attitude nation

Thank you koing I will be going to brunel to see what its like I have contacted Mike.

@yoda12 I will have a look at Brunel first then Middlesex university on a Wednesday as it seems to be nearer to me than Brunel. Currently I pay about 30pound a month and go 3days monday-wednesday & Friday, any idea on the monthly cost of Middlesex university?

@Chigishev Hi South London is too far and bethnal green for me, thanks for the advice I will check out jim schmitz the other youtube pages I have checked out and they help somewhat.