T Nation

New to Nail Bending

Hey everyone,

Just started the very fun hobby of nail bending last week and so far I love it. I’ve checked a few forums on iron mind and a few articles and what not but still having a little trouble getting set up. I had someone I know give some old scrap leather to use as wraps and I picked up a dozen or so bolts at Home Depot.

I can’t quite bend the 1/4 bolts cut to 6" but found 3/16 at 7" a breeze and 3/16 at 6" felt like I had to give some effort but still not too bad. The problem with Home Depot is they only sell the stock bolts in 3 foot rods and you have to cut them yourself with a hand saw, which is not only a pain in the ass but time consuming. I’d like to be able to get dozens upon dozens of bolts to work with but would rather not spend an arm and a leg dealing through specialty grip sites like iron mind and fat bastard. They aren’t super pricey and if I have to I will but I can’t help but think I can get a better deal out there.

I am in San Francisco, so if anyone knows of any good local hardware stores or scrap metal shops near by that would be great, or at the very least the types of places I should be checking out.

Also if there are any tips/suggestions other things I can work with as far as things to bend and such that would be great. I’d eventually like to do an iron mind red nail, horseshoes, and other goodies down the road but so far enjoying getting into it.

Just recently got into this myself. I was lucky enough to meet a guy named J.T. Straussner and he is an accomplished steel bender. They had me using 5/16 zinc plated steel rods cut at 7 inches for practice. They are sort of a tweener to the blue nail and the red nail. I’ve also tried the stainless steel 5/16 and that is significantly harder.

Here is a video of a couple of my friends from a workout a few weeks ago. The big guy is a powerlifter and doesn’t have a lot of experience bending but the smaller guy J.T. is a machine. Check the links in the video for some pointers.

[quote]behexen wrote:
Just recently got into this myself. I was lucky enough to meet a guy named J.T. Straussner and he is an accomplished steel bender. They had me using 5/16 zinc plated steel rods cut at 7 inches for practice. They are sort of a tweener to the blue nail and the red nail. I’ve also tried the stainless steel 5/16 and that is significantly harder.

Here is a video of a couple of my friends from a workout a few weeks ago. The big guy is a powerlifter and doesn’t have a lot of experience bending but the smaller guy J.T. is a machine. Check the links in the video for some pointers.

Very cool, yeah those are some very legit bends for sure. Hoping I can be at that level some day. Where do you get your stuff if you don’t mind my asking? I haven’t been able to find anyone else around that’s into it but hopefully soon. Might try some other forums for good measure.

Gripboard should answer your questions MUCH better than these nobodies over here on tnation that just talk crap to everyone (esp new comers)

Depending on how much you think your time is worth, maybe you could buy a pair of large bolt cutters instead of using a handsaw? It’ll be a lot quicker.

I work at a steel factory so I have access to all the material I need there for cheap prices.

I did a quick online search and looks like you can buy some here. http://www.mutualscrew.com/Smooth-Rod/steel-smooth-rod-13048.html 5/16 zinc plated smooth steel rods, at 3ft. $33.41 for 10 rods, so that should give you about 50 pieces to practice with once you get them all cut up.

Crura I feel like people wouldn’t talk shit to you if you didn’t troll. Example: going into the POWERLIFTING forum and talkin shit about powerlifting style benches and claiming 350 bench

[quote]238 wrote:
Depending on how much you think your time is worth, maybe you could buy a pair of large bolt cutters instead of using a handsaw? It’ll be a lot quicker.[/quote]

That is a good idea, the bolt cutters would be huge, in which case I can cut them to whatever I need. I think I may try this out, thanks.

[quote]behexen wrote:
I work at a steel factory so I have access to all the material I need there for cheap prices.

I did a quick online search and looks like you can buy some here. http://www.mutualscrew.com/Smooth-Rod/steel-smooth-rod-13048.html 5/16 zinc plated smooth steel rods, at 3ft. $33.41 for 10 rods, so that should give you about 50 pieces to practice with once you get them all cut up.[/quote]

Thanks, yeah Home Depot is pretty similar in price, so once I get a bolt cutter I’d be set, as simple as that is definitely didn’t think of it, hence why I posted. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

FBBC is another place to get steel and wraps. They are very slow though so you have to go in knowing this. Its a side business for them so they only devote their ezra time to it. http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERSBAG.html

If you want to eventually certify on the red nail you need to mainly focus on bending with the iron mind wraps. I just certified on March 1st and can tell you first hand that bending in leather or suede wraps won’t prepare you. Upper body strength and flexibility also play a very big role. Be sure to train your wrist, arms, shoulders, chest, and upper back as all of these play a role in bending. If you have anymore questions, post them up. Also put up a video of some of your bends, that will help with improving your technique.

Here is the video of my Red Nail certification.