New to MMA, How Should I Lift?

ok , im new to mma and i wanna incorperate lifting , how should i lift ? should i do upper and lower body days ? me and de days ? or scrap de days for re days ? full body ? body part splits ? kettle bells only ?

i dunno, where are you weakest? what have you identified as issues for you when training MMA??

And even more importantly, how many days a week do you train? Your main focus should be on your technique training on the MMA classes, so doing heavy lifting before you go to train MMA is not a good idea unless you can put on a lot of effort on the recovery and nutrion.

In my opinion most of the trainees doing MMA or any other combat sport should focus their lifting on big compound movements and lift for maximal and explosive strength. In my opinion, olympic lifting is probably the best way to go if you can get somebody to teach you the proper technique. Last thing you want to do lifting is break yourself so you will miss training for a long period of time. Other movements you should try out, deadlift is great, so is squatting and you should probably do decent ammount of pull-ups, dips (both weighted if they seem too easy), military presses (I’d suggest you to do them standing so your abs and lower back both have to work at the same time, along with the shoulders and triceps) and bench press. Do all your lifting with as good of a form as you possibly can, and lift as fast and explosive as possible. Look up super sets too, to keep your training short and more intense.

What about the negative movement? Should be slow or at moderate speed?

[quote]BigMike wrote:
ok , im new to mma and i wanna incorperate lifting , how should i lift ? should i do upper and lower body days ? me and de days ? or scrap de days for re days ? full body ? body part splits ? kettle bells only ? [/quote]

How much are you training MMA?

[quote]BigMike wrote:
ok , im new to mma and i wanna incorperate lifting , how should i lift ? should i do upper and lower body days ? me and de days ? or scrap de days for re days ? full body ? body part splits ? kettle bells only ? [/quote]

you’re new to mma as a hobby?

just lift however the hell you want dude. get big.

5/3/1

search this site for it

it works

Everyone should lift.

You should find and follow the opinions of experts rather than random posters on the internet. Martin Rooney’s training for warriors title is the best go to reference (in my opinion) is relatively cheap and comes with a workout plan. If you want something with a wider variety of unique exercises pick up his newer book.

This guy trains Frankie Edgar (among many others) who is one of the p for p strongest and fittest mma fighters out there. Why would you not train like the best?

I have been incorporating Starting Strength for a while now and I have also been lifting on another program.
I find lifting to be beneficial for both MMA and BJJ, it makes you stronger and keeps you in good shape too.
Lifting in my experience only brings advantages (if done correctly) be it in forcing a takedown, holding on to top position on the ground, going to a submission or knocking someone down…

I’d say start lifting, consult your coach with it or someone who knows how to lift and get on the road

silverdan

^I think you missed the point^

I think the OP is a recreational type guy that he is a beginner and taking classes for fun.
good for him or her.

In his case and anyone not training to be an athlete or with an extensive background in the combat sports
or to improve their performance in their BJJ/boxing/mma or what have you
particularly if they are new

they should train as they have been doing til one activity - interferes with another.
Train the way your training , until either your MMA or what ever- impacts your lifting or visa versa.

until your training of either type impacts your recovery or your progress it doesn’t matter.

while we are on the topic of professional trainers- there are lots of great ones.
and many of them have lots of great tips- available freely.

Take all that with a grain of salt- as many of those programs wont yield the same results for the average
type person.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
This guy trains Frankie Edgar (among many others) who is one of the p for p strongest and fittest mma fighters out there. Why would you not train like the best?
[/quote]

Lack of facilities, lack of time, lack of recovery ability, lack of resources, lack of supervision from highly experienced trainers.

Seriously though, I’ll just repeat what HolyMac said. You’re training MMA recreationally, lift however the fuck you want and figure it out yourself. Just please, lift SOMETHING.

Personally I do my own variation of WS4SB with less exercises than recommended in the program (get burned out quick with too much volume + BJJ)

OP are you otherwise an athlete?

If you’re an athlete who lifts already, do what you’ve been doing, and figure out what works and what doesn’t. Maybe ad things like jump-squats, and more time with the jump rope…

If you’re new to lifting… deadlift, squat, bench.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
You should find and follow the opinions of experts rather than random posters on the internet. Martin Rooney’s training for warriors title is the best go to reference (in my opinion) is relatively cheap and comes with a workout plan. If you want something with a wider variety of unique exercises pick up his newer book.

[/quote]

Probably because they’ve no intentions of becoming a professional fighter, don’t have the means of becoming a professional fighter, and have other obligations than training? That’s like thinking you’ve to train like Kobe Bryant to play rec league basketball.

[quote]BigMike wrote:

Id like to hear his response on his degree of commitment, but since so many were fans of what I said, I will respond without knowing what the hell he actually means

He said he is new to mma. This says nothing about how he is viewing his level of commitment. He may be a black belt in bjj, been kickboxing in Denmark since he was 4 or he could be one of the millions of guys that gets a membership to the local gym after he knocks out three dudes in a row at the bar, he doesn’t say so we dont know. I went with he is new to mma but is taking it seriously.

He wants to incorporate lifting. Unless he is completely wrong about the usage of this word, this means he wants to add lifting to his training schedule in a way which will benefit his mma training. Sounds like a sport specific program to me, not do whatever you have been doing.

Rooneys system follows a less is more philosophy which is the traditional way of martial arts In which he wants his athletes to spend 90 percent of the time training in their sports activities. Less time in the weightroom means more intensity and more recovery time if you are following a smart plan.

I would not be even remotely suprised if frankie only spent 3 days a week for a couple hours in the weightroom, giving him much more time to hone his skills

I’m fucking bored of typing so will just reiterate that we have no idea what he meant other than that he wanted suggestions about lifting in relation to mma, frankies a beast and a little Jersey Shore punkass at the same time, and Martin Rooney is the man when it comes to mma training.

Fuck Shane Carwin

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]BigMike wrote:

you’re new to mma as a hobby?

just lift however the hell you want dude. get big.[/quote]

no not as a hobby , i plan to fight as an amateur in another 6-8 months,im taking this seriously . i train 4 days a week 2 hrs at a time and have been doing this for the past 4 months.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
Fuck Shane Carwin[/quote]

LOL, well put sir.

To the OP, if that’s the case you’re going to have to judge your own recovery ability. Never put in so much work in the gym that you’re burned out for training.

Either way, yes you should lift, just like all high-level guys in the sport (Fitch, GSP, Cain, Frankie, BJ, Machida, Shogun, Evans). Your intensity, frequency, and volume is something that would depend on your training, and recovery ability.

[quote]BigMike wrote:

no not as a hobby , i plan to fight as an amateur in another 6-8 months,im taking this seriously . i train 4 days a week 2 hrs at a time and have been doing this for the past 4 months. [/quote]

If you just started, and you’re planning on having an amateur fight soon, devote all of your time to technique. Lift once or twice a week if you can fit it in, but my man, you better learn that shit.

Especially in the beginning, when so much of it is trying to gain endurance for your sport, specfically, by sparring or rolling, i wouldn’t worry about lifting right now.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]BigMike wrote:

no not as a hobby , i plan to fight as an amateur in another 6-8 months,im taking this seriously . i train 4 days a week 2 hrs at a time and have been doing this for the past 4 months. [/quote]

If you just started, and you’re planning on having an amateur fight soon, devote all of your time to technique. Lift once or twice a week if you can fit it in, but my man, you better learn that shit.

Especially in the beginning, when so much of it is trying to gain endurance for your sport, specfically, by sparring or rolling, i wouldn’t worry about lifting right now.[/quote]

What do you mean “if he can fit it in”?

He says he trains 2 hours a day 4x a week… 8 hours a week. I think he can fit in lifting… and needs to create for himself a real conditioning program.

I actually love the number of MMA guys who focus only on technique. It’s amazing how easy it is to roll-over someone who has a few years of BJJ on me, same weight class, but has shit for strength and conditioning.

Being strong allows you to focus on technique while rolling/sparring/in a match because you don’t have to worry about powering through everything. I think the biggest mistake most low-level fighters make is not conditioning enough.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

What do you mean “if he can fit it in”?

He says he trains 2 hours a day 4x a week… 8 hours a week. I think he can fit in lifting… and needs to create for himself a real conditioning program.
[/quote]

Conditioning, yes. But weightlifting takes a back seat while you’re learning. If you’re going to be involved in anything where you’re getting hit (I’m not talking some grappling tourney) then you better be living and breathing that shit.

The amount of time spent in the weightroom should be minimal.

[quote]
I actually love the number of MMA guys who focus only on technique. It’s amazing how easy it is to roll-over someone who has a few years of BJJ on me, same weight class, but has shit for strength and conditioning.

Being strong allows you to focus on technique while rolling/sparring/in a match because you don’t have to worry about powering through everything. I think the biggest mistake most low-level fighters make is not conditioning enough.[/quote]

And it’s amazing how easy it is to beat the living fuck out of a guy when he doesn’t know how to box but he’s standing in there with someone who does.

4 times a week for 2 hours is a lot if he’s leading a normal life, as most people do. Unless he’s devoted his entire life to training, of course, in which case yes, there is time for a decent amount of lifting.

But somehow I doubt he’s at that point yet.