New to MMA, Help Strength Training

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
Boxing is not muay thai is not tae kwon do.

While alot of pro level jitz/wrestlers in UFC, SF, Bellator etc. are terrible strikers and formulate game around take-downs, lay/pray and G&P. You cant deny there are some brilliant MMA strikers in the game right now.
[/quote]

I never said that they’re one in the same, but the simple concept of angles seems to escape most MMA fighters that I see. If I ever manage to see a crisp double jab I think I’ll shit myself.

Yes there’s great strikers but they are the minority, rather than the majority. I would think it would be the other way around, and that they’d work more on it since that can end fights way quicker than grappling can.

here you go.

Ive typed these words here before.

Its not about how strong you are in the gym,
its about generating power, over an extended period of time.
how to generate power
how to get the work capacity high
and really how to do it with out impairing your skill work.
and skill work is the key component

if your a dude who lifts, and you like to be big and strong-

and your taking a few classes, keep doing what you are doing til one impacts the other.
Its ok to be a weekend warrior or hobbyist there is nothing wrong with that

if your MMA, Boxing, BJJ or whateverkindofshityoulike gets more serious,
start to train to fill your needs.

do you need to work on your mobility and flexibility
is you conditioning and body comp up to par?
do you do enough ‘cardio/energysystems whateverthepopularnameforconditioning’ is?

or more specific then that does your grip fail?

all things for you to figure out.

there are a million ways to spin the cat.

I would train as you normally do til it impacts your classes.

If you have more specific questions I would go on a limb and say there a few people
her who can help

oly lifts, power lifting… only comes second to technique.
no its not sport specific, or nearly as useful as perfecting the rubber gaurd, omaplata, any takedown, etc etc… all of which will be limited with fatigued and spent leg muscles.

more clean and jerk. LOL. i cant remember the last time an oly lifter was successful at MMA.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

While alot of pro level jitz/wrestlers in UFC, SF, Bellator etc. are terrible strikers and formulate game around take-downs, lay/pray and G&P. You cant deny there are some brilliant MMA strikers in the game right now.
[/quote]

I never said that they’re one in the same, but the simple concept of angles seems to escape most MMA fighters that I see. If I ever manage to see a crisp double jab I think I’ll shit myself.

Yes there’s great strikers but they are the minority, rather than the majority. I would think it would be the other way around, and that they’d work more on it since that can end fights way quicker than grappling can.[/quote]

Yes 1 punch CAN end a fight but I would go with a decent takedown and groundgame over striking any day of the week. And this is not coming from an American born and raised wrestler in high school/college/NCAA whatever, this is coming from a Muay Thai oriented European guy who has experienced the power of the ability to control where the fight goes.

I do agree however with you that I try to separate leg day away from my heavy takedown drill/striking days. It’s not that I can’t train it, but I prefer if possible to be in top shape when going for heavy takedown work.

[quote]beermuscleU wrote:
no its not sport specific, or nearly as useful as perfecting the rubber gaurd, omaplata, any takedown, etc etc… all of which will be limited with fatigued and spent leg muscles.

more clean and jerk. LOL. i cant remember the last time an oly lifter was successful at MMA.

[/quote]

I never said anything about Olympic lifters being succesfull @ MMA. That makes no sense. Im talking MMA guys lifting Oly. Read an MMA blog…its not that unheard of. I also never said anything about lifting taking a priorty over technique…once again…no sense. I stated i found no problem working both back to back.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes there’s great strikers but they are the minority, rather than the majority. I would think it would be the other way around, and that they’d work more on it since that can end fights way quicker than grappling can.[/quote]

agreed and it sucks. There are so many elite level wrestlers now a days. Looking for a leg to grab onto and roll around for 5 minutes that strikers are being put off and competing else where. I love a good MMA brawl but i find myself enjoying K-1 over ufc these days.

Strikers are indeed being put off, but it’s kinda name of the game…
MMA is open to any style, as long as it works people will use it and wrestling just seems to work pretty well in a 1 on 1 situation in the octagon/ring/mat…

Don’t get me wrong I like to see all out ass kicking with hard takedowns, getting back up and starting all over again but if I was a great wrestler I would use my skills to my advantage too.

Nice to see ?
absolutely not

Good tactic ?
yep

I think part of the problem is that pure strikers can make good money fighting other strikers under striking rules, whereas there isn’t the same money out there for wrestlers or jiu jitsu. So you get the ground fighters going to MMA when they want to turn pro, but the boxers and the muay thai fighters can come up through golden gloves, pro am, K1, etc. and make pro level money not ever having to leave their specialty.

Yeah, you’ll see some crossing over, but the really good ones in their sport have no need to go to the UFC to make money.

Train your legs and train them often. If you have recovery problems, box squat. Box squatting will not only teach you proper depth and proper squatting position, but it will also increase your explosiveness and decrease recovery time.

Also recommend dead lifting and pressing. Learn how to powerclean too. Oly lifts aren’t necessary for you.

[/quote]

I never said anything about Olympic lifters being succesfull @ MMA. That makes no sense. Im talking MMA guys lifting Oly. Read an MMA blog…its not that unheard of. I also never said anything about lifting taking a priorty over technique…once again…no sense. I stated i found no problem working both back to back.[/quote]

And yet you’re preaching ‘more clean and jerk’. your words, not mine.

And yes, I know mma fighters do oly lifts. they also do crossfit, kettlebells, caveman training, TRX, calisthenics, and etc etc. None of that means shit if you suck in the cage.
So stop tellin this kid ‘more clean and jerk’.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
I think part of the problem is that pure strikers can make good money fighting other strikers under striking rules, whereas there isn’t the same money out there for wrestlers or jiu jitsu. So you get the ground fighters going to MMA when they want to turn pro, but the boxers and the muay thai fighters can come up through golden gloves, pro am, K1, etc. and make pro level money not ever having to leave their specialty.

Yeah, you’ll see some crossing over, but the really good ones in their sport have no need to go to the UFC to make money.[/quote]

Yup.

If I can box well, why the fuck am I going into MMA? I’ll go into boxing and make 10 times the money.

He’s fibbing, he does Rush fit.

[/quote]

I never said anything about Olympic lifters being succesfull @ MMA. That makes no sense. Im talking MMA guys lifting Oly. Read an MMA blog…its not that unheard of. I also never said anything about lifting taking a priorty over technique…once again…no sense. I stated i found no problem working both back to back.[/quote]

And yes, I know mma fighters do oly lifts. they also do crossfit, kettlebells, caveman training, TRX, calisthenics, and etc etc. None of that means shit if you suck in the cage.
[/quote]

more clean and jerk.

Are you training to be a cage fighter bro???

Yeah, you’ll see some crossing over, but the really good ones in their sport have no need to go to the UFC to make money.[/quote]

Good point.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:

Good point.[/quote]

And some of them…like Alistair Overeem who just won the 2010 K-1 Grand-prix and is the current SF HW champ can be the baddest mother fuckers in the whole world.

And some of them…like Alistair Overeem who just won the 2010 K-1 Grand-prix and is the current SF HW champ can be the baddest mother fuckers in the whole world.
[/quote]

Well what did you expect from a student of El Guapo?

[/quote]

Nothing less. Ive been a Reem fan since pre-Ubereem status. i would love to see him in the UFC and take down the heavies one by one. Dos Santos, Brock, Velasquez…he would dismantle them all. Then he would get the credit he deserves. The only reason Dana says he doesnt belong top 10 is because hes not in the UFC. He is a world class striker but has amazing ground game as well. He has many fights that have ended in sub or choke. However, id rather watch him beat people up. His striking his amazing. He is the baddest mother fucker on the planet right now.

[/quote]

Nothing less. Ive been a Reem fan since pre-Ubereem status. i would love to see him in the UFC and take down the heavies one by one. Dos Santos, Brock, Velasquez…he would dismantle them all. Then he would get the credit he deserves. The only reason Dana says he doesnt belong top 10 is because hes not in the UFC. He is a world class striker but has amazing ground game as well. He has many fights that have ended in sub or choke. However, id rather watch him beat people up. His striking his amazing. He is the baddest mother fucker on the planet right now.[/quote]
i could see cain beating him

[/quote]

[/quote]

more clean and jerk.

Are you training to be a cage fighter bro???[/quote]

here comes the rageee
dust it off and move on kiddo