T Nation

New to MMA - Bastardized EDT

I’ve recently been introduced to the wonderful world of MMA via Army Combatives. Prior to about five weeks ago, the only exposure I have had is as a UFC spectator. My boss ‘voluntold’ me into a competition late March. I have a lot to learn in the next few weeks, this should be fun.

The meet will start with several rounds of grappling, with striking allowed in the finals. Preliminary matches will be one 6 minute round, finals one ten minute round.
It is hard to say what my competition will be like. I expect many will have limited experience like myself, some may have done this for years. I expect to be stronger than most in my class, but shorter, fatter and slower as well.
Background:
30 years old. 5’8, @205-210lbs. 15-18% BF. I will be competing under 205 (class is 185-205)
High School Wrestler, have forgotten most everything. (Which seems to be a good thing, old habits have got me on the wrong side of the rear mount to many times already)
Strongman training base
Well equipped home gym; kettlebells, cage, freeweights, heavy dumbbells, tires, sandbags, sledge, sloshpipe, heavybag, blaststraps, prowler, grip tools.

My schedule varies every week, but here is an example of my training:
Combatives 2x weekly (instruction and rolling, more sessions not possible)
Conditioning Circuits 2-3 times weekly(several stations, currently 3 minutes work, 1 1/2 rest, working on improving those times and ratios) or Barbell Complexes. 45-60 minute sessions
Army PT 1-3x weekly (pushups, situps, running)
Strength Training 1-2x weekly.

I have modified my strength training and am trying something new (to me), inspired by EDT. 3 lifts a session, 10 minutes each, as many as possible in 10 minutes. This is followed by another 10-15 minutes of accessory work. All numbers completed before repeating, which will turn out to be @10 days. Weights are @5-6 rep maximum (higher reps on backsquat and blast straps)
1 a. deadlift b. DB Bench c. DB row
2 a. frontsquat b. dumbbell push press (may be replaced with dumbbell snatch) c. pullup
3 a. back squat b. blast strap pushup c. blast strap row
4. a. clean b. barbell overhead press (may be replaced by OHS) c. weighted chins

I don’t have any specific questions. Short of more time needed on technique, I think this is a pretty solid set up, on paper anyway. Time and experience will tell. Those of you who have been down this road may see the flaws in my thinking. Any thoughts, comments, critiques, pointers, etc would be appreciated.

If you’re competing next month and have no experience, fuck weightlifting.

LEARN TECHNIQUE!! You’d better eat, sleep, and breathe that shit until you learn it, because it doesn’t matter how strong you are when you don’t know what you’re doing.

I’d advise looking for a trainer you can get some extra hours in, 2x a week training and fighting next month seems like an easy way to get hurt. No offense, but especially in the shape you seem to be in.

sounds kinda like what i got got going on, except the quick deadline.

since the prelims of the tournement are grappling only, this is how i would priotize your training:

1: grappling
2: conditioning (cardio)
3: striking

you can roll 2x week, and do sprints/complexes another couple times a week, and do some striking another couple times as well. it shoudln’t be too hard to find somebody on an Army base that knows how to box, so they can give you a few pointers there.

but i agree with not doing anything too complicated with lifting… and tell you CO to let you out of organized PT to train up for this.

btw, hopefully i’d be competing in the Combatives tournment in August…

Ah shit, you all are telling me what I don’t want to hear.
Thanks for the input gents. I completely agree with all, skills trump conditioning and that is what I need to focus on. However, there are some things you can control, some you can’t. The availability of coaches/partners is limited, and my work schedule makes it harder. I can workout alone though, at any given time.

Most of the people I should be facing will have the same limited training I have. My thinking is if training is equal, and freshly learned, skills will be forgotten quickly once fatigue and sets in, conditioning is my best bet.
I’m listening though, and even if your answers aren’t what I want to hear, it is what I need to hear. Time to find a school in town…

Train…not weights…MMA.
Look at jermey horn…horrible conditioning eats pizza and drinks coke all day and still a former contender and KOTC champ.
If I were you I would start training for a fight and wait for the next one, other wise I feel like your in for a very humbeling experience.
Good luck either way bro!
Adam.

[quote]bulldogmedic wrote:
Ah shit, you all are telling me what I don’t want to hear.
Thanks for the input gents. I completely agree with all, skills trump conditioning and that is what I need to focus on. However, there are some things you can control, some you can’t. The availability of coaches/partners is limited, and my work schedule makes it harder. I can workout alone though, at any given time.
[/quote]

Do anything you can possibly do that has to do with skills. You’d benefit more by shadowboxing for an hour a day (as tedious as that is) then lifting if you’re preparing for a fight. And roll as much as humanly possible.

[quote]
Most of the people I should be facing will have the same limited training I have. My thinking is if training is equal, and freshly learned, skills will be forgotten quickly once fatigue and sets in, conditioning is my best bet.
I’m listening though, and even if your answers aren’t what I want to hear, it is what I need to hear. Time to find a school in town…[/quote]

I know what you’re saying, but one of the first rules of fighting is that you don’t want to have to depend on the other guy getting tired.

Six minute round and ten minute round? That is going to take a lot of endurance. In addition to what you have been told, make sure you add in cardio intervals. Like Irish said, you don’t want to depend on the other guy getting tired. With it being your first fight, nerves and adrenaline will make you use up your energy faster than you are used to. Drop the weights.

If time allows, I would do cardio sessions in the morning and skill work at night. Eat well, sleep well, ice, and take Flameout. My recovery is better when I am taking it.

I’m not sure if this is a great idea as I have never fought, but working on the bag a lot seems to yield quick returns for my striking in sparring, especially when I do it fresh, before any conditioning or weightlifting or rolling.

I assume that you’re going against other soldiers with similar training constraints?

Thanks again for the input gents, I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

As I mentioned, the availability of both time and partners is limited where I am. I am on a small isolated post (less than 700 active duty personel). I often work 24 hours on (able to sleep when there is no business) and 24 off. Of course meetings and events usually dip into my off time.

I am not making excuses, just letting you know where I am coming from. Of course, if you want it, you will find time and ways to overcome.

JRT6, it is safe to say that most of the soldiers I will be facing have a similar amount of training, which is just enough to hurt ourselves. Those who have more are likely to have had it on their own, not Army affiliated.

I don’t expect to be the best doing this, but I expect to be able to go out and give it my best, knowing I trained as hard as I could have and beaten by a better fighter, not myself.

I’ve convinced a buddy to join me in extra training. On the downside, he is 40lbs lighter than me, which is giving me a false sense of confidence, and allowing me to muscle through sloppy technique. On the bright side, he is skilled and slippery.

I am training with a group of 6. One guy sits at 250, one my size and the rest smaller. Most of the time I am able to quickly gain a dominant position, but my biggest problem so far is finishing. I just started getting a feel from it this morning that I don’t have to be in a hurry to finish.

If I am dominate, I can keep him pinned for a minute or two safely. As he is struggling to get out from under me, I am relaxed, he will hit his wall pretty quickly, then I can finish. A lightbulb moment.

Taking the above advice, I am scaling back my weights.

For future reference though, how did my original posted scheme look for off season conditioning/maintence? The workouts I did do that style seemed pretty promising, time could tell, but I don’t have that time now.

Once again, thanks for letting me pick your brains, keep it coming.

For future reference though, how did my original posted scheme look for off season conditioning/maintence? The workouts I did do that style seemed pretty promising, time could tell, but I don’t have that time now.

Once again, thanks for letting me pick your brains, keep it coming.[/quote]

Your workouts look good to me, and I’m sure between PT and the nature of your lifting you’re getting a lot of work done.

The only thing I could suggest is looking into Alwyn Cosgrove’s complexes. I just started doing them this week, and they are very, very difficult. It’s the only thing that’s exhausted me in the same way that rolling has.

I think there are some on elitefts.com, that’s where I found the one template.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The only thing I could suggest is looking into Alwyn Cosgrove’s complexes. I just started doing them this week, and they are very, very difficult. It’s the only thing that’s exhausted me in the same way that rolling has.

I think there are some on elitefts.com, that’s where I found the one template.[/quote]

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/metabolic_power_training.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/martial_arts_tips.htm

good stuff…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

I think there are some on elitefts.com, that’s where I found the one template.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/metabolic_power_training.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/martial_arts_tips.htm

good stuff…[/quote]

hahha. That was it- the one that starts with Dave Tate. I love that fuckin guy.

will striking be allowed or just grappling?

it starts off with grappling, then if the fighter advances to the semifinals, it’s Pancrase rules, then in the finals strikings (excpt) elbows is allowed…

Well, a shit was taken in my bowl of cheerios this morning…

I’ve been plagued with shin splints off and on for the past several years (a whole other post in itself). It caught up to me this morning, and I had to fall out of a group run. To avoid being labled a turd, and written up for not performing, my only choice was to see the doc after. Of course, the doc gave me a no running profile. I’ve been second guessing myself all day, could I have pushed it further, but I really don’t think so.

This is an injury, not a soreness, and it is likely there is structural damage going on in my lower legs (X-rays negative this morning, I am set for a bone scan next week).

Long story short, since I am on profile, I can’t compete. I’m pretty crushed about it, but what can I do? This won’t be the only tourney to come around. On the plus side, my conditioning is really getting up there, while losing little strength.

I have dropped 8 lbs in the past four weeks. Not having lifted heavy, my body feels pretty good. (Well, back and joints, my shins don’t like me much now).

I wish I could have come back to this thread telling you all how well I did, but that just isn’t the case this time around. Just had to get this off of my chest.

were you set to compete at benning for the all army combatives tourney?

No, Bliss, local one.

Well, a shit was taken in my bowl of cheerios this morning…

I’ve been plagued with shin splints off and on for the past several years (a whole other post in itself). It caught up to me this morning, and I had to fall out of a group run. To avoid being labled a turd, and written up for not performing, my only choice was to see the doc after.

Of course, the doc gave me a no running profile. I’ve been second guessing myself all day, could I have pushed it further, but I really don’t think so.

This is an injury, not a soreness, and it is likely there is structural damage going on in my lower legs (X-rays negative this morning, I am set for a bone scan next week).

Long story short, since I am on profile, I can’t compete. I’m pretty crushed about it, but what can I do? This won’t be the only tourney to come around. On the plus side, my conditioning is really getting up there, while losing little strength.

I have dropped 8 lbs in the past four weeks. Not having lifted heavy, my body feels pretty good. (Well, back and joints, my shins don’t like me much now).

I wish I could have come back to this thread telling you all how well I did, but that just isn’t the case this time around. Just had to get this off of my chest.[/quote]

Ahh fuck it man. Shit happens. It’s better to get yourself fixed than get a permanent injury… or worse yet, lose your fight because of some stupid ass injury that’s holding you back.

Keep at it.