New To Lifting, Constructive Criticism

Hey, I’m a new lifter, just want some basic comments on where i need work most. Weight is 147 at the moment, gaining about a pound a week since i started lifting 3 weeks ago. These pics are from a week into lifting.

Ok, you are skinny and need to work on everything. You have no strong or weak points, you are simply small all over. It’s the truth. You need to stop posting pictures of yourself, and read the articles here starting with the sticky’s at the top of the beginners section. Then you need to eat a lot of food and lift heavy stuff for a couple of years. Then eat more food and lift heavier stuff for a couple of more years.

Good luck.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Ok, you are skinny and need to work on everything. You have no strong or weak points, you are simply small all over. It’s the truth. You need to stop posting pictures of yourself, and read the articles here starting with the sticky’s at the top of the beginners section. Then you need to eat a lot of food and lift heavy stuff for a couple of years. Then eat more food and lift heavier stuff for a couple of more years.

Good luck.[/quote]

This is correct.

Do not post pictures again. No point. Just lift eat and read.

-chris

Lift, Eat, Sleep…and then post another picture in 12 months on this thread. You have a great before picture…now you have to create the after. You will find lots of information here to help.

Eat, Eat, Eat. SQUAT.

It all takes time, but you’ll gain quickly as a beginner. Have clear goals and press forward. Go ahead and take pictures as a metric for progress, but don’t bother critiquing yourself so early on.

I think your biggest weak points are your wrists and your hair.

Your weak point is that you look rather anorexic.
Once you have ate some food, put some time in the gym, then its time to see where the weak points are and what needs work.

[quote]PozzSka wrote:
I think your biggest weak points are your wrists and your hair. [/quote]

I know i have narrow wrists, as for the hair, screw you. i said constructive criticism.

Skinny i agree with, but I’m not damn anorexic. I AM lifting and AM eating a lot more, as i said, the pic is a week into lifting, i was looking for any harsh imbalances visible to the trained eye.

I know and agree with the those saying i need all around work, and this IS my before picture. I am determined to eventually not be skinny overall, i want to be well balanced. I’m making rather fast gains, though a fair amount may just be newbie gains.

No need to get defensive, just razzin’ you.

A little conditioner and a manly smelling pomade go a long way.

There is nothing wrong with your wrists.

When did kids forget how to take a joke?

Sorry, i read a bunch of flame then a joke about more things looking bad on me. just took it wrong.

And lillguy001, you have a 540+ post count. assuming you spend a minute reading and posting, thats 540 minutes you’ve spent on the forums…9 hours you’ve spent posting, besides all the time you just read during. 9 hours + that you could’ve been lifting for.

reminds me of a picture i saw in an article here saying muscleman08 posts:450, showing a scrawny guy sitting at a computer. Your picture is of a dog, for all we know, you might just have crazy e-muscles. Only signs of low weight i see are i have noticeable collarbones, narrow wrists and a wide indent between pecs.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Sorry, i read a bunch of flame then a joke about more things looking bad on me. just took it wrong.

And lillguy001, you have a 540+ post count. assuming you spend a minute reading and posting, thats 540 minutes you’ve spent on the forums…9 hours you’ve spent posting, besides all the time you just read during. 9 hours + that you could’ve been lifting for.

reminds me of a picture i saw in an article here saying muscleman08 posts:450, showing a scrawny guy sitting at a computer. Your picture is of a dog, for all we know, you might just have crazy e-muscles. Only signs of low weight i see are i have noticeable collarbones, narrow wrists and a wide indent between pecs.[/quote]

You think those were flames? Just because they weren’t all “OMG you r soo ripped and have awesome abbzz!” Doesn’t make them flames. Actually, you have gotten zero flames, which surprises me.

Lilguy has also been lifting for 10+ years and weighs more than twice what you do, so the point of your attack was . . . what?

As for your signs of low weight, those all exist because you have no muscle. Sorry champ, but that’s God’s own truth.

If you want real help, post a diet and exercise routine and we’ll be happy to help you there, but as far as criticizing your current physique. . . come on, that’s just too easy.

And in the most respectful manner, don’t get an attitude. No one is impressed. Stick around, learn, and show up with another 100 lbs and then you’ll get the attention you think you deserve now.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
Eat, Eat, Eat. SQUAT.[/quote]

haha this made me laugh so hard!

Squats and milk.

Don’t be afraid once some fat gets on you that you need to diet down. keep at it for at least a year or 2 before you decide to cut.

[quote]ss847859 wrote:
Eat, Eat, Eat. SQUAT.[/quote]

I’m not flaming you man just read it. I’m not an expert like some of these guys but I’ve noticed these two problems with people first starting out. They don’t eat enough, don’t know how important it is. You should probubly eat everything in site, meat, veggies, pussy, etc. Number two is start squating. Every new lifter comes in here saying they’re not concerned with their legs and that they’re just focusing on upper body. Bunch of girly men. Learn how to squat correctly and start doing it if your not already. Are you? If you are congratz you suprise me.

Your gonna have to get used to it. Although these people’s posts may have not seemed nice there was still relevant and truthful statements in each one. You starting lifting, your running with a different crowd. Your gonna have to toughen up. Post your workouts and diets.

They are not ripping on you they are being accurate. You are really thin. Don’t worry that means you have tonnes of room to improve.

eat eat eat squat is the best advice you can get.

I suggest buying these two books and reading them thoroughly

Starting Strength
Practical Programming

Follow that for 6 months you will be a new man, and eat a lot too.

Otherwise you can just stuff around here getting insulted and give up and move on like a thousand other kids have.

And that guy with what 500 posts, well guess what, probably 200 of them were skinny kids coming on looking for the miracle solution and getting mad when told that the solution is EAT EAT EAT and SQUAT. (and sleep)

Get the books. Everything else is icing on the cake. You need the cake as well.

Honestly the best way to see weak points is with appreciable muscle mass. Take a pic without flexing and assess where you think you need to improve. I see you agree with overall size so start with that and see what grows as your strong points will be showin’ up faster. 6 months take another pic and compare and make another analysis. 6 months repeat. Don’t get crazy about it and compare daily or weekly. We need to see your workout to at least evaluate if the routine will get you on the right path.

OK, heres a good example of my workout from today, i normally only do one compound lift a day but it was thursday so i cant lift till monday. i’ve been looking at both Frankie Ny’s Push-pull routine and going with bill starr’s 5x5.

Morning:
95x5 ATG squats
115x5 ATG squats
135x5 ATG
95x5 ATG
155 x5 deadlift
155x5 shrug
205x5 deadlift
205x5 shrugs
225x5 dead
225x5 shrugs
bench 5x5 with 95, 105, 115, 120, 125. I did 135 once, making my 1RM 135 lbs bench.

P.E. Classtime
bench
95x10
105x6
115x4
125x2.
skullcrushers
10x35 lbs
8x 55 lbs.
AFter school:
Straight leg deadlift 135x3x10
185x3x5
Shrugs Same
Weighted Pullups:
5x unweighted
5x20 lbs
5x25lbs
4x30lbs
2x35lbs

Generally i just work monday morning 6-7,
tuesday 6-7 then 3-4
wednesday 6-7
thurs 6-7 then 3-4
I have a bench, though i need more weights for it, monday through thursday is only time i can get into the weight room.

I’ve stepped up the eating a lot, i normally dont eat breakfast, now i try to get at least a protein shake, i have school lunch, then go for at least a 1,000 calorie supper, yesterday i had 2000 calories, 1500 of ravioli,(protein and carbs), 2.5 120z glasses of milk, and a 200cal protein shake.

I am not worried about losing definition at this point, just going for an overall bulk, tired of being a skinny kid. Yes i know some of my lifts are low, that’s the whole reason i started lifting, if you see any lifting imbalances, i’ll focus on them. I recently decided to focus on ATG squats as my parallel squats are about 275 lbs, a marked difference, the lower half of the ROM feels very difficult, probably because i just havent worked those muscles. Im sorry, to everyone i was an ass to, i’ll work on taking comments in stride.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Hey, I’m a new lifter, just want some basic comments on where i need work most. Weight is 147 at the moment, gaining about a pound a week since i started lifting 3 weeks ago. These pics are from a week into lifting.[/quote]

Gain about 30 more pounds and come back and ask what you need improvement on.

I was 143 when I started out. I weigh 173 pounds right now. I put 20 pounds on my first year of working out. You can do it bro. Stick with it and start with a good diet and workout plan.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
OK, heres a good example of my workout from today, i normally only do one compound lift a day but it was thursday so i cant lift till monday. i’ve been looking at both Frankie Ny’s Push-pull routine and going with bill starr’s 5x5.

Morning:
95x5 ATG squats
115x5 ATG squats
135x5 ATG
95x5 ATG
155 x5 deadlift
155x5 shrug
205x5 deadlift
205x5 shrugs
225x5 dead
225x5 shrugs
bench 5x5 with 95, 105, 115, 120, 125. I did 135 once, making my 1RM 135 lbs bench.

P.E. Classtime
bench
95x10
105x6
115x4
125x2.
skullcrushers
10x35 lbs
8x 55 lbs.
AFter school:
Straight leg deadlift 135x3x10
185x3x5
Shrugs Same
Weighted Pullups:
5x unweighted
5x20 lbs
5x25lbs
4x30lbs
2x35lbs

Generally i just work monday morning 6-7,
tuesday 6-7 then 3-4
wednesday 6-7
thurs 6-7 then 3-4
I have a bench, though i need more weights for it, monday through thursday is only time i can get into the weight room.

I’ve stepped up the eating a lot, i normally dont eat breakfast, now i try to get at least a protein shake, i have school lunch, then go for at least a 1,000 calorie supper, yesterday i had 2000 calories, 1500 of ravioli,(protein and carbs), 2.5 120z glasses of milk, and a 200cal protein shake.

I am not worried about losing definition at this point, just going for an overall bulk, tired of being a skinny kid. Yes i know some of my lifts are low, that’s the whole reason i started lifting, if you see any lifting imbalances, i’ll focus on them. I recently decided to focus on ATG squats as my parallel squats are about 275 lbs, a marked difference, the lower half of the ROM feels very difficult, probably because i just havent worked those muscles. Im sorry, to everyone i was an ass to, i’ll work on taking comments in stride.[/quote]

You gotta work on your diet. Your not eating to get big. You should be getting a huge breakfast and then at least another 5 meals during the day. Eat more calories. Go to the beginners section, the top and look at the diets in that are you a beginner thread. If your not going to follow one at least read it and you can gain some ideas on how you should be eating.