New to Lifting, Any Advice Appreciated

I’m 18 years old and have been training for about three months now. I’m a recovering distance runner and have been of the “skinny fat” persuasion since my sophomore year of high school (before which I was simply straight-up fat), currently weighing in at around 180 pounds at 5’11". I’m currently training four to five days a week (upper/lower split) with each session lasting between one hour and an hour and a half, although I try to stay closer to the former.

With regards to diet, I’m keeping a closer eye on how I eat and maintaining a food log - I’ve had to approximate for some meals, but for the most part I’m consistently hanging around 3500 to 4000 calories a day, comprised in part of between 180 and 200 grams of protein (most of it coming from dairy and meats). As I’m lacking in any steady income flow and my parents aren’t about to dish out for it, any form of supplemental protein is pretty much out of the question (at least until college).

I can see the boards are pretty well inundated with posts like this, although none quite apply to my situation. So I’m really just looking for advice in terms of getting body fat down, building muscle mass and gaining strength within my current constraints.

Everyone is looking for the same thing, you are not different.

Get on a beginner program that has the basic lifts (Overhead press, squat, deadlift, bench press).

If you are really eating 3500-4000 calories (doubt it), you will be fine.

Repeat for 6 months.

We will have another program for you then.

Yes, that simple.

Fair enough. Thanks, I appreciate it.

[quote]palingenesia wrote:
I’m 18 years old and have been training for about three months now. I’m a recovering distance runner and have been of the “skinny fat” persuasion since my sophomore year of high school (before which I was simply straight-up fat), currently weighing in at around 180 pounds at 5’11". I’m currently training four to five days a week (upper/lower split) with each session lasting between one hour and an hour and a half, although I try to stay closer to the former.

With regards to diet, I’m keeping a closer eye on how I eat and maintaining a food log - I’ve had to approximate for some meals, but for the most part I’m consistently hanging around 3500 to 4000 calories a day, comprised in part of between 180 and 200 grams of protein (most of it coming from dairy and meats). As I’m lacking in any steady income flow and my parents aren’t about to dish out for it, any form of supplemental protein is pretty much out of the question (at least until college).

I can see the boards are pretty well inundated with posts like this, although none quite apply to my situation. So I’m really just looking for advice in terms of getting body fat down, building muscle mass and gaining strength within my current constraints. [/quote]

Check out the articles on the website, there are a gazillion routines. As it has been already said stick to the basics for a couple of years, focus on improving your lifts and you’ll pack up consistent meat.

keep it easy :slight_smile: