New to Gym & OHP/Bench Imbalance

How does starting strenght work? I’ve kinda read about it and it said to work with the 5x5 style and progress every session?

I don’t know the details of Starting Strength because I never got the book.

I always went into Stronglifts 5x5 and it was designed as you just described - 5x5 with adding weight every session. It works for beginners, but once you advance you get major diminishing returns. THAT being said, 5x5 or similar range is a staple for some period in every training. I’ve done 3x5 or 5x5 in the early part of a meet prep several times, usually a month or so.

If your only available equipment are some dumbbells and a broomstick, Stronglifts or Starting Strength aren’t for you either. I’d do a search for dumbbell or bodyweight only workouts in the articles.

Oh no, I’m not going to be wrong out with a broom and 10lb dumbells lol. I’m definitely hitting the gym I’m just looking for a program that’s suited for beginners and everyones says is great. Im obviously on no position to bash programs because I’m just a beginner and a kid. And yes, stronglifts is pretty much the same thing and how was it for you?

I wouldn’t use a broom as a guide on how your OHP is going to look.

Stronglifts was good. Honestly, when I did it, I was doing Muay Thai primarily and lifting was secondary to me, so I made progress with the effort I put in. I think I was 140-155 with 275 Squat, 185 Bench, 275 Deadlift most of that time. Stopped adding weight (although probably should have) because I wanted to leave more in the tank for Muay Thai training, and I never had a reliable spotter.

When I started back up lifting seriously, I did 5/3/1 BBB which I should have stuck to longer. I program hopped after the 3 month Challenge, but I would have made serious gains if I did 5/3/1 BBB for a full year. For beginners, I recommend 5/3/1 BBB 3 month challenge, and doing it twice (6 month commitment).

I think you can get good progress off the 5/3/1 work, but BBB sets at 5x10 will really get you the benefits.
To pick weights, what I did was a conservative 5RM for each lift throughout the week, and then I calculated my 1RM off that 5RM and used my numbers, and used the training max off that. Not sure if that’s the proper way, but it worked for me. I also did 5/3/1+ sets on top of BBB sets which isn’t recommended either, but it helped me over some humps.

Thanks man. Ur right I gotta actually use a real bar lol

What’s 5/3/1, Is it for beginners too? I’m kinda scared about getting into the 3 to 1 rep area because I won’t have some spotters around at like a commercial gym.

I mean I used it as a beginner. I don’t think it’s generally recommended. At the weights you’ll be doing, I don’t think you’ll have much of an issue with 3 and 1 even with the percentages, as long as you set your numbers right.

The biggest benefit here are the 5x10 sets. If you feel more comfortable doing so, you could always just do these, although it’s not following the program. If I had to recommend a program to a beginner who didnt wanna do low reps, that’s what I’d recommend.

You can also look up the “20 rep squats and milk program”

1 Like

SS you start with the empty bar and add weight every workout until you hit a wall(hence just do it for 2 months) Overview here…

This is similar but slightly better IMO…

20 reps squats as mentioned above is a good follow up after these

After all that can jump on the 5/3/1 train

Edit: was meant to address OP . But saw It down as reply to Soulfighter -ie not meant to patronise you 'Fighter!

Starting strength is great if you want to get strong on the big lifts. When looking at it as a full program it is not good for bodybuilding, only strength training and power lifting. Mark’s diet advice will get you strong, but also fat. And yes, that is part of the program. If you don’t want to get fat, then don’t follow his program because your progression will be off.

I would follow one of johnny Candito’s free linear programs. Whichever one fits your goals.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/app/download/956915124/Candito+Linear+Program+(2).pdf

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifying haha

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I found something called Ice cream firness which lookd like SS with accessory work so I’m going to give that a try. Does anyone have a PDF for it so I can track my progress?

No…

3 Likes

It looks like your posture to me. One shoulder looks lower than the other in the start position of the broom press.

Posture, especially as it pertains to lifting, is usually a control thing anyways. Practice is going to be the best thing for this kid, imo

Oh hell naw! That’s Blaha’s program. @dean556 stay away from the ice cream fitness one

1 Like

I’m curious, what’s wrong with it? Is the guy thtas bad or the program? Cause it’s the dude that’s not to good but the program’s good, y’know? Am I missing something here

How come?

So is this something I should I fix or will lifitng be the fix for it?

1 Like

It’s posture, got it. How do i fix it or is it something that lifting will fix?