New to Forum and Program

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some feedback on my workout program please. I am currently 28 years old, 5’11’ and weigh 184.6 lbs. I have been weight training for the past three months and have seen some gains. I have recently changed my three day a week all over workout to hopefully improve my gains as I wish to gain all over body muscle definition.

Please tell me what you think of my program as any advice would be helpful. This workout usually takes about 1 and a half hours. This may seem long but I have bee told it is better to do more then one compound exercise for each muscle group in order to make gains.

MONDAY:
Squats 3x8
Weighted Pullups 4x6
Military Press 3x10
Bent Over Rows 3x10
Weighted Dips 3x10
BB Bench Press 3x9
Chin Ups 3x8
EZ Bar Curl 3x10
Tri Pulldowns 3x15
Standing Calf Raises 3x12
Deadlifts 3x10

TUESDAY:
Ab Workout

WEDNESDAY: Same as Monday but change:
Weighted Pullups for 3x10 Lat Pulldown
BB Bench Press for 3x10 Incline BB Press
No calf raises

THURSDAY:
20 min run
Ab Workout

FRIDAY: Same as Monday but change:
Bent over rows for 3x10 Lat pulldowns

SATURDAY:
Ab Workout

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Way too many exercises there.

A good rule of thumb is to have, in each workout,

1 Lower body Exercise (Squat, Deadlift etc)
1 Upper Body Push (Bench, Military Press etc)
1 Upper Body Pull (Rows, Chins etc)
and 1 or 2 single joint movements.

I also recommend checking the ‘Are You A Beginner?’ thread at the top of the forum.

I agree with “Der Candy”'s assessment.
I’d add: Combine the push/pull movement so both work in the same direction - pull yourself in the direction you pushed the weight, for example.

And divide the exercises to cut the training time in half. For example:

Do the overhead pressing and chin-ups or lat pull-downs (push and pull in one direction) and the squat on one training day. Add the curl and the tricep pressdown as single joint movements.

Do the push-ups or bench presses and the bent-over row (push and pull in another direction) plus the deadlift on the other training day. Add the calf raise as single joint movement

And make the workouts tougher, since you’re going to spend only half the time. Alwyn Cosgrove’s current article ( http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1776965 ) will help.

Just my two cents,
Tierlieb

I think 12 is far too many for one day, 8 would be fine!