T Nation

New to Dieting

hello

I want to go on a strict diet for bodybuilding. I have gone to John Berardi’s site and got some good info on calculating amount of protein and carbs and so forth to maintain and provide my muscles with food. How do I set my diet up to lose weight though. If I’m consuming 2000+ calories a day how much do I cut back on to reach my goal. I’m giving myself 4 months to try a diet and decide if I want to do a show. I currently weigh in at 215lb and want to get down to 175-180 for now.

Thanks
scott

wow so you want to lose 40 lbs in four months boy thats quite a lose at your bodyweight you at a pretty high BF% now??

and only 2000+ at 215lbs.

anyway start by dropping intake 250k/cals add a bit of low intensity cardio/activity try and keep as much LBM as you can. your going to need to average 2lbs a week very do able. start there and adjust as needed.

Phill

[quote]Scottty wrote:
hello

I want to go on a strict diet for bodybuilding. I have gone to John Berardi’s site and got some good info on calculating amount of protein and carbs and so forth to maintain and provide my muscles with food. How do I set my diet up to lose weight though. If I’m consuming 2000+ calories a day how much do I cut back on to reach my goal. I’m giving myself 4 months to try a diet and decide if I want to do a show. I currently weigh in at 215lb and want to get down to 175-180 for now.

Thanks
scott[/quote]

Never–NEVER–EVER!!! drop your calories below 2000. NEVER!

What show??–at that body weight lost–you’ll have no muscle to show.

In regards to what show? To be honest I don’t know. I was getting ready for a show when I was 19 (I’m now 34) and I got sick with cancer. It’s taken quite a few years to recover. I would consider level 1 show if I got in good enough shape. I just don’t like the fact I didn’t get to finish what I started years ago. Thanks for the advice guys

Scott

[quote]Scottty wrote:
In regards to what show? To be honest I don’t know. I was getting ready for a show when I was 19 (I’m now 34) and I got sick with cancer. It’s taken quite a few years to recover. I would consider level 1 show if I got in good enough shape. I just don’t like the fact I didn’t get to finish what I started years ago. Thanks for the advice guys

Scott[/quote]

My reference was more an observation. To drop 40 lbs that fast to a bodyweight of ??170?? what is it you expect to show? I realize not everyone wants to be a mass monster, but for any level show you have to be carrying some quality muscle. You will have lost a great deal of yours in your quest for this magical weight you are shooting for.

If a show is really in your future, I would concentrate on body composition as opposed to weight.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Scottty wrote:
In regards to what show? To be honest I don’t know. I was getting ready for a show when I was 19 (I’m now 34) and I got sick with cancer. It’s taken quite a few years to recover. I would consider level 1 show if I got in good enough shape. I just don’t like the fact I didn’t get to finish what I started years ago. Thanks for the advice guys

Scott

My reference was more an observation. To drop 40 lbs that fast to a bodyweight of ??170?? what is it you expect to show? I realize not everyone wants to be a mass monster, but for any level show you have to be carrying some quality muscle. You will have lost a great deal of yours in your quest for this magical weight you are shooting for.

If a show is really in your future, I would concentrate on body composition as opposed to weight. [/quote]

height is a factor

[quote]Phill wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Scottty wrote:
In regards to what show? To be honest I don’t know. I was getting ready for a show when I was 19 (I’m now 34) and I got sick with cancer. It’s taken quite a few years to recover. I would consider level 1 show if I got in good enough shape. I just don’t like the fact I didn’t get to finish what I started years ago. Thanks for the advice guys

Scott

My reference was more an observation. To drop 40 lbs that fast to a bodyweight of ??170?? what is it you expect to show? I realize not everyone wants to be a mass monster, but for any level show you have to be carrying some quality muscle. You will have lost a great deal of yours in your quest for this magical weight you are shooting for.

If a show is really in your future, I would concentrate on body composition as opposed to weight.

height is a factor

[/quote]

Yes height is a factoe.

If you are less than 5’5" then 170 may qualify you for some shows. But probably not in the shape you would be after dropping 40 lbs.