New to Diet and Workout

Hi, I am new to working out and am trying to get in a lean muscular shape. I have been in the gym on and off for a few years, never satisfied, I even had a personal trainer for a few months.

I currently weigh 165 pounds, and am trying to lose some fat and gain muscle. I have shown interest in the Velocity Diet, but it seems very intense, and something I may not be ready for just yet.

Are there any tips or beginning workouts I should stick to for starting out? Also, what are some good diet tips, like when should i eat protein, what foods are the best for gaining muscle quickly and burning fat quickly, and how many calories\carbs should I eat a day.

Any help/tips would be great, thanks.

Tim

Read the stickies at the top of the forum, they’ll answer most of your questions. I would stay away from the V diet for now, you can probably make good progress just by learning to eat and train properly.

To answer your specific questions, I would recommend Starting Strength or West Side for Skinny Bastards as good beginners workouts. Pick one, stick with it until you stop making progress, and by that point you should have a pretty good idea of what to do next.

For diet, eat protein with every feeding. Read John Berardi’s 7 Habits article, and follow his rules. Good luck.

You don’t need the Velocity Diet, you need to train and eat properly and consistently.

[quote]Str33mr wrote:
Hi, I am new to working out and am trying to get in a lean muscular shape. I have been in the gym on and off for a few years, never satisfied, I even had a personal trainer for a few months.

I currently weigh 165 pounds, and am trying to lose some fat and gain muscle. I have shown interest in the Velocity Diet, but it seems very intense, and something I may not be ready for just yet.

Are there any tips or beginning workouts I should stick to for starting out? Also, what are some good diet tips, like when should i eat protein, what foods are the best for gaining muscle quickly and burning fat quickly, and how many calories\carbs should I eat a day.

Any help/tips would be great, thanks.

Tim[/quote]

increase muscle mass and lose fat quickly?!

imo…

increase muscle mass= eat more cals than you burn + lift as heavy as possible.
lose fat = eat less cals then you burn + lift as heavy as possible.
You do the math…

In any case, lift heavy, eat 5-6 meals/day, 1-1,5g protein per pound of bw (mainly form whole food), drink less alkohol, drink copious amounts of water, find a good program, lift heavy, stick to it…
g