New to Counting Carbs

Okay, I have a question that might be dumb, but how do you count the carbs in things with fiber? They say that you subtract the fiber for the “net” carbs…so does that mean that a low carb piece of bread with 11 total carbs but 8 g. fiber would really only be counted as 3g? It confuses me because most products seem to do this (subtract the fiber to get the calories) but some don’t. Are such products okay to eat with fat and protein meals?

[quote]me5861 wrote:
Okay, I have a question that might be dumb, but how do you count the carbs in things with fiber? They say that you subtract the fiber for the “net” carbs…so does that mean that a low carb piece of bread with 11 total carbs but 8 g. fiber would really only be counted as 3g? It confuses me because most products seem to do this (subtract the fiber to get the calories) but some don’t. Are such products okay to eat with fat and protein meals?[/quote]

Yes.A piece of bread that has 11 carbs and 8 grams of fiber really has 3 carbohydrates since fiber cannot be used as energy by the human body.
Hope this helps,Poe.