T Nation

New T-Radio: Dr. Lowery

Check out the new audio interview with Dr. Lonnie "Lonman" Lowery in the T-Nation player. It's D-Tap #4. Enjoy!

Hooray

Not to be an ungrateful bastard but it would be cool if there was a way to fast forward in the segments. I clicked another area on the page and had to start over.

Sweetners

Man, I don't drink soda, but is artificial sweetner that bad.

I use it on oatmeal.

Can it really make you retain body fat?

Anyone seen the studies he mentions?

Not currently. We can (and prolly will) add it later. just requires more programming.

In the mean time, that is why we offer the stand-alone player. With it, you can have the T-Nation Radio up no matter what page you navigate to (so long as your browser stays open).

Hmmm... I should have clicked that. Would be a cool addition in the future.

Just wanted to say T-Nation radio is awesome.

That is all.

Am I the only one not seeing the new D-Tap listed in the player?

I only have D-Tap up to 3, what gives? the fourth slot is Typecast - When sinking.

--EDIT--
When I opened up t-nation in IE instead of firefox, i saw the updated d-tap list

Users will most likely have to clear cache / restart your browser to see the updated list.

How do you clear cache or restart broswer?
thnx
andrewjones

And just wondering what if any implications this has for protein powders like Grow! that contain artificial sweeteners, particularly since many of us on this site ingest quite a bit of the stuff.

Grow! doesn't the use the artificial sweetener found in most diet drinks. One of the studies Dr. Lowery mentioned was done in the late 80's. The sweetener in Low-Carb Grow! (sucralose or Splenda) wasn't even invented yet. So he seems to be talking about aspartame.

Two points:

• I hear Coke and others are going to start using sucralose soon instead of the older artificial sweeteners, so maybe this will help a little. Pepsi One and Diet RC already do. New Diet Coke is coming soon.

• Yes, there are a few Chicken Littles out there already making up some wild claims about sucralose. (And I hear the only negative studies were done by the sugar industry. Hmmm.) Most of this is coming from the same guy who says not to use your car's remote control door locker, use toothpaste, own a microwave, wear underwire bras, go into cities, etc. Remember, I was one of the first people to interview Mercola, but I got to tell ya, sometimes he's way off and downright wrong. Cy Willson quickly debunked his fluoride claims in a previous column, for example. Honestly, I'm not sure if Mercola doesn't know how to read studies or simply profits from these scare tactics so much that he ignores the details.

Anyway, maybe Dr. Lowery can chime in here.

I love T-Radio- Double tap.

Keep it up

-Get Lifted

Any chance getting these in MP3 format?

Clear cache = depends on what browser you are using

Restart browser = File > Quit

:confused:

how do I do this .I use aol.

your screwed :slight_smile:

start - search or find- cache - return

when you find the file delete the contents.

Below are a few studies of which I spoke with Chris...

Appetite. 1988;11 Suppl 1:85-91.
Patterns of artificial sweetener use and weight change in an American Cancer Society prospective study.
Stellman SD, Garfinkel L.
"Users were significantly more likely than non-users to gain weight, regardless of initial BMI."

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997 Jan;21(1):37-42
The effect of sucrose- and aspartame-sweetened drinks on energy intake, hunger and food choice of female, moderately restrained eaters.
Lavin JH, French SJ, Read NW.
"The following day energy intake was significantly higher after the aspartame-sweetened lemonade compared with both sucrose-sweetened lemonade and the water due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrate consumed and resulted in a higher total energy intake over the two days studied."

Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2000 Jan;51(1):59-71.
The effects of sugar-free vs sugar-rich beverages on feelings of fullness and subsequent food intake.
Holt SH, Sandona N, Brand-Miller JC.
"Therefore, the low-calorie/low-sugar drinks did not facilitate a reduced energy intake by the lean, non-dieting male subjects."

It's important to reiterate, though, that artificial sweeteners have their place if not used as a crutch (that is, allowing one to continue subsisting on highly-sweet, processed foods rather than learning to enjoy whole, less-sweet foods). I use them on occasion myself, not being too picky as to which one I'm using. In general, artificial sweeteners are approved in many countries and endorsed by very respectable health authorities. In our sugar-riddled modern world, how can one condemn artificial sweeteners completely? I just think deprogramming our palates (preferences) from highly-sweet processed foods is more natural (paleo-nutrition-like, if you will) and wiser for both health and physique.

LL

Just as a follow up on the artificial sweetener studies (or maybe just to confuse the issue), I thought I'd share opposing studies, too.

Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Feb;65(2):409-18.
The effect of aspartame as part of a multidisciplinary weight-control program on short- and long-term control of body weight.
Blackburn GL, Kanders BS, Lavin PT, Keller SD, Whatley J.
"The aspartame group lost significantly more weight overall (P = 0.028) and regained significantly less weight during maintenance and follow-up (P = 0.046) than did the no-aspartame group. These data [in obese subjects] suggest that participation in a multidisciplinary weight-control program that includes aspartame may facilitate the long-term maintenance of reduced body weight."

Appetite. 1988;11 Suppl 1:73-84.
An evaluation of the effect of aspartame on weight loss.
Kanders BS, Lavin PT, Kowalchuk MB, Greenberg I, Blackburn GL.
"This study suggests possible advantages to supplementing a BDD with aspartame-sweetened foods as part of a multidisciplinary weight loss program."

It appears as though obese patients (different from the previously posted studies) who are undergoing a carefully-planned multi-disciplinary weight loss program, including a balanced low-cal diet do benefit with better compliance and weight loss while using (in this case) aspartame.

I do have a little concern regarding the "external validity" of these results as far as our bodybuilding purposes are concerned. That is, how many readers here on T-Nation are 1.) obese 2.) eating a truly balanced low-cal diet or 3.) pamperd with a multi-disciplinary weight loss team?
Nonetheless, I think these studies offer some evidence that what Chris and I were cautioning is true: artificial sweeteners DO have their place if used wisely.

(This is not to say we shouldn't STILL get away from yearning for tooth-weakening, ultra-sweet colas and beverages, however.)

LL