T Nation

New Study: Stroke/Cardiovascular Risk in First 2 Years of TRT

Philadelphia, July 18, 2019 - Aging men with low testosterone levels who take testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) are at a slightly greater risk of experiencing an ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), or myocardial infarction, especially during the first two years of use, reports a study appearing in The American Journal of Medicine, published by Elsevier. The findings confirm concerns voiced by many health agencies about the potential risks associated with the treatment.

The study analyzed a large database of electronic medical records of patients enrolled in primary care practices in the United Kingdom and formed a cohort of 15,401 men, aged 45 years or older, with low testosterone levels (hypogonadism). Users of TRT had a 21 percent greater risk of cardiovascular events compared with nonusers, corresponding to an additional 128 events. The increased risk appears to be transient, declining after two years of TRT use, which the investigators attribute to a phenomenon called “depletion of susceptibles.”

The study specifically aimed to study men with low testosterone levels due to aging and not due to known secondary causes.

Interesting I guess does not include those taking TRT due to hypogonadism.

Either way good idea to see a cardiologist every 6 months for a couple years.

This is just the insurance companies paying for studies so they don’t have to pay for TRT.
It works better than paying for a lobbyist.

This is the same UK (NHS) that is still in the stone age in TRT. Maybe the horrible treatment of men on TRT is to blame for a large percentage of negitive findings.

You can’t even get proper care for TRT in the US.

I tend to agree.
However I’ve had heart paps for many months the first year. Finally after a year I rarely have one. Now if I was much older or had undiagnosed heart condition, I could possibly see how a person can have a cardiac event.

The “study” wasn’t much more than an abstract, it leaves a lot to be desired from an information perspective. It is likely that these patients were all on some form of AI or very underdosed. Crashing E2 and leaving it there is a great way to cause cardiac issues.