New Squat PR

Very nice. Good to see people from the politics forum who actually lift heavy stuff :ahem:

Good job, Vroom! You and I don’t agree on much but we both agree that’s a fine accomplishment.

Can you post a pic?

Damn Vroom! You sure seem to be breaking some plateaus the last couple of months. Good stuff, man.

What has changed?

nice going man! Just a touch away from 3 wheels!

congrats Vroom. 315 isn’t far away…

Yeah that’s great but…

How much ya bench?

Nice job Vroom. I just hit 315 myself and it felt good. Tried a second rep but couldn’t hit parallel. I’ll be doing some lighter breathing sets to get my endurance up and try to get 315 for reps next time.

Keep it up and I’ll be racing both you and conorth to 405!

Vroom, nice job bud. I’ve been a big fan of yours on the board, got some good advice and insight and packing it up with the iron as well. What kind of program are you using these days? Are you still trying to lean out a bit of what? You posted some pics way back eh, any updates coming soon, I know the ladies wouldn’t mind that.

Congrats, hombre…

Can I ask what you’re pulling? 'Cause I’m in the same range squat-wise, but I’m thinking my pulls are lagging.

Shoot, looks like it’s time to answer a few questions. First though, thanks again for the support guys, this place kicks ass.

• My bench is under 300lbs, so I’m not going to bother talking about it until it hits that point.

• I don’t have a lifting partner, so I won’t be able to get pics in the gym. If ladies want pics… oh wait, that belongs in a different forum, nevermind.

• Over the winter I was bulking and using higher reps… so it makes sense that I’ll hit some PR’s for a while now as the reps come back down.

• I’m not sure I want to race to 405, in that it’s too far out for me to “race” to it, but I wouldn’t mind getting there first! Heh.

• I recently pulled a 425, but failed on a 435. I want five wheels in a big way dammit. I know I need to start using chalk one of these days too. Maybe in a couple more years I’ll start to think about competing?

• While I’m spilling the beans, I’m holding at about 228 for the last month after hitting 230 at one point. So, yeah, looking to lean out a bit… as always.

• For workouts I pay attention to the authors here though I generally like to chart my own course…

M: Squats
T: Chins
W: Bench
T: Cardio
F: Deadlift
S: ?
S: ?

How this works is that I do the one major lift and then a bunch of other stuff related to it.

For example, after squats I might do leg curls, back extensions, good mornings or whatever. If I have anything left in the tank, I can then do something that won’t interfere with the next prime lift. On squat day I could do standing presses, for example, but I wouldn’t do bicep or lat work.

On Cardio day and on the weekend I’ll do whatever extra I feel like depending on what I want to concentrate on. If I feel burnt out I reduce the extra work and just take it easy.

That’s what you get for asking!

Hey Bud,

Nice work.

Let us know when you hit three plates.

Nice one Vroom, if you wanna increase it quicker, alternate Squat with Deads.

In the UK our plates are 20kg so ‘3 wheels’ is 308 lbs, a little easier.

[quote]vroom wrote:

• For workouts I pay attention to the authors here though I generally like to chart my own course…

M: Squats
T: Chins
W: Bench
T: Cardio
F: Deadlift

How this works is that I do the one major lift and then a bunch of other stuff related to it.

For example, after squats I might do leg curls, back extensions, good mornings or whatever. If I have anything left in the tank, I can then do something that won’t interfere with the next prime lift. [/quote]

I actually did something similar when I first started working out and didn’t really “know” anything. I made great progress. Of course, part of that was that I was new.

But over the last year, I’ve been doing a lot more total body workouts and I have to say I don’t much care for them. I never really feel like I hit individual muscles hard enough for my taste. And I dread the workouts.

I think I’m going back to something like what you’ve got above. I really enjoy that kind of specific intensity, as opposed to a general fatigue. Plus, I never really feel like I recover from total body workouts.