New Squat/DL Successes & Woes

Ya what’s with the tempo recommendations? This isn’t the Bodybuilding forum.

Also, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a fast descent as long as it’s controlled.

I would say for the squat its just to make sure you’re tight and can lower it quickly but under control with the weight over the middle of your feet (chest up, knees out). For the DL I think you could grind it out, I would guess you just need to keep your upper back really tight all throughout the lift. Oh yea and some better music may help you too…

[quote]Modi wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Modi wrote:
Hanley wrote:
This thread’s funny!!

Are you learning much?

Yeah, I need to speed up my squat and lean forward more.

You pick up any tips?

Yup, but I learned something completely opposite of you…3 seconds on the decent, pause for a full second in the hole with your max weight on your shoulders, and then one second on the way up, regardless of how heavy it is.

I really like the paused part on the squats, I guess it primes your for pausing your bench later in the day.[/quote]

Oh yeah… you wanna come out of the squat at fast as possible. I always thought you should go slow to feel the burn?

you missed the 385 dead lift because of this.

that’s not dead lift music, that’s a hit of ex and glow sticks music.

edit: it is pretty catchy though.

lulz

It’s honestly impossible to train at this gym without an ipod… I believe I was listening to this

during the squat in question.

[quote]marko_racic wrote:
I watched your 365 deadlift. Keep your head down eyes facing toward the ground more. It’s not good for your neck to be cranked up like that. Stay tight, psych yourself up, lift. [/quote]

OP, NEVER look at the floor when deadlifting. Try keeping your back flat while looking down and you’ll see what I mean.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
Don’t try to rip deads from the floor. [/quote]

What. The. Fuck.

I think your biggest problem is the faulty belief that there is nothing technically wrong with your squat.

i believe that you shoul improove your ham and lower back if you wanna get stronger,not the quads,what is your weight?

i am in a hurry so i am spelling it wrong

lmao @ this.

Live off of goodmornings for a little while. Try squatting with a 2.5lb under your TOES, this could teach you to sit back more. Get stronger.

This is my advice.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
Find a video of a top level competitive powerlifter that descends at that speed. Dip grip and rip is all well and good from a mental standpoint, but the literature doesn’t agree. (read supertraining and science and practice of strength training)[/quote]

He is lifting raw, not equipped. Equipped lifters lift slower.

Check out how fast Chakarov squats 583 lbs for a super deep completely raw (no belt) double.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233

[quote]Gael wrote:
Gianacakos wrote:
Find a video of a top level competitive powerlifter that descends at that speed. Dip grip and rip is all well and good from a mental standpoint, but the literature doesn’t agree. (read supertraining and science and practice of strength training)

Check out how fast Chakarov squats 583 lbs for a super deep completely raw (no belt) double.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233 [/quote]

There is nothing wrong with going down fast if you have the power and control to come up faster.

There is a big diff between Chakarov’s lift and bouncing out of the hole, as is the subject of this post.

Wow…just wow at some of the things said on this thread. All the comments that said “get stronger” are right. Everybody’s form falls apart when they reach max weights.

[quote]Gael wrote:
Gianacakos wrote:
Find a video of a top level competitive powerlifter that descends at that speed. Dip grip and rip is all well and good from a mental standpoint, but the literature doesn’t agree. (read supertraining and science and practice of strength training)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233

[/quote]

That’s not fast??? He goes down well under control.

The OP looks like he was just unlocking his hips and knees and letting gravity do the rest!!