T Nation

New Split Routine, Help?

Yo… I’m just coming off of a 2 week 2 a day routine, pretty nice results. Anyway, I’m thinking a week of rest/de-load tips on how to de-load properly would be appreciated.

As for a new split routine I was thinking of going something like this.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Arms
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Chest/Back
Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Apart from the obvious problems with this routine e.g. legs (I can’t do these where I workout due to equipment) do you see any other inherent problems.

Also any tips for this sort of split would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BLF

My only concern would be tricep fatigue from the Chest workout on your pressing and tricep exercise on the next day.

Though if the new split is only for a deload then it really doesn’t matter at all.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Yo… I’m just coming off of a 2 week 2 a day routine, pretty nice results. Anyway, I’m thinking a week of rest/de-load tips on how to de-load properly would be appreciated.

As for a new split routine I was thinking of going something like this.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Arms
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Chest/Back
Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Apart from the obvious problems with this routine e.g. legs (I can’t do these where I workout due to equipment) do you see any other inherent problems.

Also any tips for this sort of split would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BLF[/quote]

So you have the equipment to do chest and back but not legs? Elaborate please.

If you have a barbell you can squat, split squat, lunge, RDL, goodmorning…

If you have dumbells you can lunge, RDL, dumbell hop :wink:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
BruceLeeFan wrote:
Yo… I’m just coming off of a 2 week 2 a day routine, pretty nice results. Anyway, I’m thinking a week of rest/de-load tips on how to de-load properly would be appreciated.

As for a new split routine I was thinking of going something like this.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Arms
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Chest/Back
Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Apart from the obvious problems with this routine e.g. legs (I can’t do these where I workout due to equipment) do you see any other inherent problems.

Also any tips for this sort of split would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BLF

So you have the equipment to do chest and back but not legs? Elaborate please.

If you have a barbell you can squat, split squat, lunge, RDL, goodmorning…

If you have dumbells you can lunge, RDL, dumbell hop ;)[/quote]

I don’t have a squat rack so heavy squats are pretty much out of the picture. I’ve tried hack squats before and I just can’t do these without severe pain in the backs of my legs behind the knees. You do make a good point about the dumbbells though.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
My only concern would be tricep fatigue from the Chest workout on your pressing and tricep exercise on the next day.

Though if the new split is only for a deload then it really doesn’t matter at all.[/quote]

Not specifically for de-load, what do you recommend for an actual long-running (more than 12 weeks) split programme template?

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
BruceLeeFan wrote:
Yo… I’m just coming off of a 2 week 2 a day routine, pretty nice results. Anyway, I’m thinking a week of rest/de-load tips on how to de-load properly would be appreciated.

As for a new split routine I was thinking of going something like this.

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Arms
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Chest/Back
Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Apart from the obvious problems with this routine e.g. legs (I can’t do these where I workout due to equipment) do you see any other inherent problems.

Also any tips for this sort of split would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BLF

So you have the equipment to do chest and back but not legs? Elaborate please.

If you have a barbell you can squat, split squat, lunge, RDL, goodmorning…

If you have dumbells you can lunge, RDL, dumbell hop :wink:

I don’t have a squat rack so heavy squats are pretty much out of the picture. I’ve tried hack squats before and I just can’t do these without severe pain in the backs of my legs behind the knees. You do make a good point about the dumbbells though.
[/quote]

1 legged squats holding dumbbells by your side is good. It’s a bit annoying trying to balance yourself and getting into position, but it can add some size on your legs - stretches out your hip flexors too.

snatch-grip deadlifts are also good, because you have to get into a pretty solid squat position to start the lift.

Good luck with your routine.

Well it really depends on the frequency/volume you want to use?

…and wether you’re going to train legs now or not?

no squat rack? then surely u could clean up and do front squats :wink:

Apart from the legs crap, for all I care you put a barbell on 1 end and let it drop onto you from the side like way back in the days, you’re going to fry your anterior delts in notime. That alone should be enough reason to reconsider, also you did a 2x/day programm for 2 weeks and have soome pretty nice results, please elaborate since chances are huoooooooooooge the overcompensation hypertrofie will happen after the program. Also if it works that well why not do it again ? Time related ?

[quote]Yawgmoth wrote:
also you did a 2x/day programm for 2 weeks and have soome pretty nice results, please elaborate since chances are huoooooooooooge the overcompensation hypertrofie will happen after the program. Also if it works that well why not do it again ? Time related ?

[/quote]

Bench press has gone from struggling to do 170 for 5 reps to doing 180 for 5 reps with ease. Bent over barbell row started at 90lbs for 8 reps and is now at 140 for 6. Increases in dumbbell curls by 10lbs have occurred and I am also overhead pressing about 10-20lbs more depending on if I’ve done chest yet for at least 8 reps. This is my weakest lift at only 105lbs for 8. I’ve seen half an inch - an inch gains on all bodyparts. This is just during the programme, I’m hoping to see some nice results now after as you say.
Time related, looking for work so I’m pretty confident I will have a job within the next week so I wont have the time to train twice a day.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
Well it really depends on the frequency/volume you want to use?

…and wether you’re going to train legs now or not?[/quote]

For me I seem to respond well to a higher frequency, volume wise I think I’m better of with a high volume as well as increased frequency is also going to increase the volume…

Legs, yes I’m going to do some dumbbell stuff I think.

[quote]sid132 wrote:
no squat rack? then surely u could clean up and do front squats ;)[/quote]

I’m not really that strong, I’m really short and I have large powerful legs anyway, the squat is going to be one of my best lifts I will quickly be needing to use weight way above what I can actually clean. Also I’ve never really quite understood how to get your arms into position for the front squat when you have a barbell in your hands…

I don’t really know then if you want a high frequency and volume.

Maybe a 3 way or 4 way split.

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Biceps/Back
Legs

or

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Shoulders
Legs

It also depends if you’re trying to focus on a particular muscle group or some need more ephasise due to structural build.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
I don’t really know then if you want a high frequency and volume.

Maybe a 3 way or 4 way split.

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Biceps/Back
Legs

or

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Shoulders
Legs

It also depends if you’re trying to focus on a particular muscle group or some need more ephasise due to structural build.[/quote]

Hows about…

Chest/triceps
Biceps/back
Shoulders
Legs

Also since I’m trying to bring up my delts I can go for 2 shoulder sessions and possibly alternate that e.g. week 1 would be 5 sessions and week 2 would be 4 sessions, or, I could stick another delt session in with legs as these will primarily be dumbbell movements. Any of these a good idea?

I’m curious also as to how many total sets I should be roughly aiming for in the workout if I am using 2 exercises per bodypart and maybe 3 total for legs and shoulders as they are on their own. Is 12 sets between 2 exercises too few? Should I be shooting for maybe 16 sets per bodypart?

Thanks.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Clown Face wrote:
I don’t really know then if you want a high frequency and volume.

Maybe a 3 way or 4 way split.

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Biceps/Back
Legs

or

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Shoulders
Legs

It also depends if you’re trying to focus on a particular muscle group or some need more ephasise due to structural build.

Hows about…

Chest/triceps
Biceps/back
Shoulders
Legs

Also since I’m trying to bring up my delts I can go for 2 shoulder sessions and possibly alternate that e.g. week 1 would be 5 sessions and week 2 would be 4 sessions, or, I could stick another delt session in with legs as these will primarily be dumbbell movements. Any of these a good idea?

I’m curious also as to how many total sets I should be roughly aiming for in the workout if I am using 2 exercises per bodypart and maybe 3 total for legs and shoulders as they are on their own. Is 12 sets between 2 exercises too few? Should I be shooting for maybe 16 sets per bodypart?

Thanks.[/quote]

i’d go for

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Legs
Shoulders (and traps)

u could do that and take 1 day off every 2 working days. Chest/Tris, Back/bis, off, Legs, Shoulders, off… and repeat. As for the sets, the thing that you have to understand is that you can do two main working sets per muscle group, one for each exercise; too little? if you ramp up the weight gradually and prepare for that set, to give maximum intensity, stimulate maximum hypertrophy and deal as much damage as possible you will be working enough. The same goes for the number of reps; you can do sets of 3 reps, but as long as you perform the best you could perform on the session you’ll stimulate gains.

I helped a friend for some time but didn’t seem to understand; he wanted a number to shoot for on each set “how much reps in this one”, I always said “the most you can complete”, but he kept telling me “just tell me a number”. The thing with this is that if I tell him to do 12, and he does 12, but he could’ve done 15 he won’t be stimulating the gains he could’ve. You gotta get out of this scheme; think in terms of performance and max stimulation, because if you keep seeing programs like 3x12, 3x15 you won’t be on the edge to take advantage of your workouts. Maybe I talked too much, maybe it’s the fucking stimulants but I think you get the idea.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
BruceLeeFan wrote:
Clown Face wrote:
I don’t really know then if you want a high frequency and volume.

Maybe a 3 way or 4 way split.

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Biceps/Back
Legs

or

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Shoulders
Legs

It also depends if you’re trying to focus on a particular muscle group or some need more ephasise due to structural build.

Hows about…

Chest/triceps
Biceps/back
Shoulders
Legs

Also since I’m trying to bring up my delts I can go for 2 shoulder sessions and possibly alternate that e.g. week 1 would be 5 sessions and week 2 would be 4 sessions, or, I could stick another delt session in with legs as these will primarily be dumbbell movements. Any of these a good idea?

I’m curious also as to how many total sets I should be roughly aiming for in the workout if I am using 2 exercises per bodypart and maybe 3 total for legs and shoulders as they are on their own. Is 12 sets between 2 exercises too few? Should I be shooting for maybe 16 sets per bodypart?

Thanks.

i’d go for

Chest/Triceps
Biceps/Back
Legs
Shoulders (and traps)

u could do that and take 1 day off every 2 working days. Chest/Tris, Back/bis, off, Legs, Shoulders, off… and repeat. As for the sets, the thing that you have to understand is that you can do two main working sets per muscle group, one for each exercise; too little? if you ramp up the weight gradually and prepare for that set, to give maximum intensity, stimulate maximum hypertrophy and deal as much damage as possible you will be working enough. The same goes for the number of reps; you can do sets of 3 reps, but as long as you perform the best you could perform on the session you’ll stimulate gains.

I helped a friend for some time but didn’t seem to understand; he wanted a number to shoot for on each set “how much reps in this one”, I always said “the most you can complete”, but he kept telling me “just tell me a number”. The thing with this is that if I tell him to do 12, and he does 12, but he could’ve done 15 he won’t be stimulating the gains he could’ve. You gotta get out of this scheme; think in terms of performance and max stimulation, because if you keep seeing programs like 3x12, 3x15 you won’t be on the edge to take advantage of your workouts. Maybe I talked too much, maybe it’s the fucking stimulants but I think you get the idea.[/quote]

Yeah man, excellent stuff. I was talking to another member on the site recently who told me he actually does 1 work set and he has incredible conditioning for his weight and build. I will keep your advice in mind for sure.

I’m moving more and more towards this type of lifting recently. Thanks for the help.

I was on a submarine for 3 years with absolutely ZERO equipment, and I still trained my legs… hard.

You can find a way: Try Single Leg Squats, Flying Lunges, SL deadlifts, Jump Squats, Glute Ham Raises with somebody holding your legs down, Single leg calf raises, even sprinting for 30 seconds as hard as I could on a stationary bike on a heavy setting was a decent exercise.

Oh sorry, one more thing… I am jealous of the folks who can do only one or two super-intense sets and grow, but I’m just not one of them. It seems I need a ton of volume to grow and get stronger.

I guess this is just a very individual thing. There are a bunch of really big dudes here doing DC training, and that didn’t work for me. I grow best picking one exercise for the target muscle and completely driving it into the ground with 10-20 sets. Less than that just doesn’t do shit for me.

Good luck!