T Nation

New Speeding Law in Va.

[quote]rocktober wrote:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp[/quote]

Just one more reason to live in DC or Maryland.

Maryland has too many teenagers and DC has too many crackheads, but VA has too many fucked up laws. They actually have a law that says men “can’t stare at women.” It’s designed to keep black men from scaring white women.

[quote]rocktober wrote:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp[/quote]

YAY FREEDOM!

mike

You got the freedom to do what you want. Unless some politician decides he wants more money and taxes the shit out of you.

There was a link off msn.com home page the other day talking about this. VA is not the only state, there are several others following suit. I can’t remember all the specifics, but I seem to remember in TX, a DUI will cost an additional $1000 per year x 3 years, and if it’s your second one, $2500 x 3 years!

Of course, then there that whole additional charges for so many points on your license blah blah blah. It’s all a bunch of bullshit. I’m not against stiff penalties for DUIs, but the speeding ticket laws/fines are just crazy.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
rocktober wrote:

Just one more reason to live in DC or Maryland.

Maryland has too many teenagers and DC has too many crackheads, but VA has too many fucked up laws. They actually have a law that says men “can’t stare at women.” It’s designed to keep black men from scaring white women.[/quote]

Ur Damn Right!

[quote]whosyobobby wrote:
There was a link off msn.com home page the other day talking about this. VA is not the only state, there are several others following suit. I can’t remember all the specifics, but I seem to remember in TX, a DUI will cost an additional $1000 per year x 3 years, and if it’s your second one, $2500 x 3 years! [/quote]

WOW! And to think it’s big news here because the county enacted a $5 fee for the Lawman to write a ticket. Probably a good thing that I’m a good driver.

The only people who get up in arms over laws such as this are the ones who break the law and speed. If you don’t speed, then you won’t be hit with it, so it does not effect you.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
The only people who get up in arms over laws such as this are the ones who break the law and speed. If you don’t speed, then you won’t be hit with it, so it does not effect you.[/quote]

no dude the people who get up in arms over laws like this are people who think gov’t officials shouldn’t be corrupt.

[quote]swivel wrote:
Raimisch wrote:
The only people who get up in arms over laws such as this are the ones who break the law and speed. If you don’t speed, then you won’t be hit with it, so it does not effect you.

no dude the people who get up in arms over laws like this are people who think gov’t officials shouldn’t be corrupt.
[/quote]

Oh come on, the CANADIAN (you know the people that are still subjects of the crown) knows what he’s talking about. In fact I am going to write my congressman to suggest cameras on streetcorners and weekly visits by the police at our homes. I mean, there’s nothing to worry about it you don’t break the law right?

Semper,

mike

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
The only people who get up in arms over laws such as this are the ones who break the law and speed. If you don’t speed, then you won’t be hit with it, so it does not effect you.[/quote]

There is NOTHING wrong with just giong above the speed limit a.k.a speeding.

All the other sh*t like following too close, aggressive driving, drunk driving, etc, IS wrong.

This a serious thing for me, since I drive a van as a job, in VA, to an airport. There is NO way I’d be able to make it all the way across a four lane highway to make the exit on the left side going 55 in a van with visibility problems. Cars behind me would get swiped, so I make an effort to distance the van from all other cars on the road to safely move to the far left lane.

I’ve also seen WAY more people getting pulled over than I ever have in my life. There’s a conscious effort to fine more people. In my area, the fine is not completely destructive, but definitely felt hard by people who receive it. I can only imagine how hard it would be to pay it off in lower income areas, where a thousand dollar fine could wipe out someone’s savings. It would definitely wipe me out.

We’ll see how long this law lasts.

-Gendou

Don’t like fines? Don’t break the law.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Don’t like fines? Don’t break the law.[/quote]

That’s an extremely weak argument. A fine’s severity should match the law being broken. Potentially hurdling low-income individuals into bankruptcy is unjust and immoral. The punishment obviously doesn’t fit the crime.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Don’t like fines? Don’t break the law.[/quote]

don’t break the law ?

don’t make the law is more like it.

the maker of this law is an attorney who makes his money in traffic court. this doesn’t disturb you ?

Bingo. It’s unethical.

Besides that, some people here are talking like they never EVER speed. Everyone does*, if you don’t you are most likely 80+ years old.

*everyone goes at least a little faster than the speed limit from time to time, it is considered a violation of the law, it is NOT something that should give you a ridiculous fine.

[quote]swivel wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
the maker of this law is an attorney who makes his money in traffic court. this doesn’t disturb you ?
[/quote]

That guy just looks like a piece of shit. Figures he’s from nor-va.

Just do what the traffic does. If everyone else is speeding, they can’t do shit. On the freeways here the max speed is 80km/h, which is retarded. Nobody gets speeding tickets cause all the cars go about 100km/h anyway.

[quote]Arc_1mpuls3 wrote:

Bingo. It’s unethical.

Besides that, some people here are talking like they never EVER speed. Everyone does*, if you don’t you are most likely 80+ years old.

*everyone goes at least a little faster than the speed limit from time to time, it is considered a violation of the law, it is NOT something that should give you a ridiculous fine.

[/quote]

I’ll go you one further, on most roads, where everyone else is going 10-15 over the limit, just going the speed limit is not safe, especially on a motorcycle. They will run you over.

Before this law came out, I routinely did 15 over, and I got passed by the cops all the time.

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
Just do what the traffic does. If everyone else is speeding, they can’t do shit. On the freeways here the max speed is 80km/h, which is retarded. Nobody gets speeding tickets cause all the cars go about 100km/h anyway.
[/quote]

If by freeway, you mean highway then where I live (Toronto) limit is 100km/hr but during rush hour on some stretches it varies from 20km/hr to 150km/hr.