New Schedule on Monday, Advice

/!\ Wall o’ text /!\

Hey there,

Well I am not exactly new to T-Nation but I did not post a lot up here and I still think of myself as a beginner (see pics for proof :p).

I’m 5.9’ for 165lbs currently at 22 years. I started to train again 11 months ago, was 185lbs at that time. I first lost a lot of extra weight, dropping to 141lbs when I decided to start a proper mass gain plan eating clean.

So, since the past 6 months I regains ~24lbs, not only muscle, but mainly I would say (following Chan’s shotgun plan first and more recently Poliquin’s super accumulation thingy). I am ‘satisfied’ with the resulsts as I consider myself in shape somehow again, but its far from my objectives.

That was the intro, now my main point ^.^

I am starting on a new schedule on monday, on a regular split and would like some advice on what I made up so far. I moved to this first for a change and also to try to make my lagging chest catch up the rest.

Please just let me know if something is chocking you in this.

So on a 4 days split:

Mondays Chest / Back

Incline DB press 5 sets of 6-8 reps
Wide-grip Pull up behind head 4 sets of 6-8
Wide-grip bench press lowered to the neck 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Horizontal Rowing 4 sets of 6-8
Cable incline flies 3 sets of 10-12 reps with a 2 seconds squeeze on each rep
Close Grip Chin up 4 sets of 6-8
Dips with the elbows flared out and the torso leaning forward - no weight - 3 sets of max reps

Wednesdays Biceps / Triceps

Alternate inclinate dumbell curl, maintaining one at top while performing the other, 4 sets of 6-8
Cable rope triceps extension, 4 sets of 6-8
Preacher curl, 4 sets of 6-8
Dumbell triceps kick back, 4 sets of 6-8
One of thibs multigrip (pronated->regular->hammer) dumb curl, 4 sets of 6-8
Some abs without additional weights

Thursdays Lower dominants

Back squats, 4 sets of 6-8
Deadlifts, 4 sets of 6-8
Leg press, 4 sets of 6-8
Leg extension, 4 sets of 6-8
Calf raise, 4 sets of 6-8

Saturdays Shoulder dominants

Semi supinated dumbell military press, 4 set of 6-8
Cable behind back lateral raise, 4 set of 6-8
Vertical Standing barbell row, 4 set of 6-8
Back extensions, 4 sets of 8-10
Voyer Shrugs, 5 sets of 8-10

Sunday
Core muscle training abs, lower back, sides, neck (not sure about the exact english expression, I mean passive training in push up position on my elbows for instance)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now diet wise I started to see changes when I moved to P+C and P+F meals (no wonder), but is was still sort of messy sometimes. I will try to focus all my P+C meals after w/o now (to follow Berardi’s recommendation) and in the morning on rest days (reducting carbs as well on those ones).

My question here is, is it ok to go to a workout without carbs in the meal before (see below), also aren’t carbs necessary in the morning to stop the night’s catabolism?

Breakfast(P+F)
Training
Post training shake(P+C)
Post training meal(1h later, P+C [pasta, rice, wholemealbread)
Following meal(3h after the previous one, P+C [berries])
all followings (P+F)

Final question: I’ve been making steady gains of around 4.5-5lbs a month with the current intakes (mostly lean I would say). I don’t think its worth increase the food, coz even if its clean, there are really little chance to gain more (muscle) in my mind on the same period. Does it make sense?

Hmm I think that’s it. Just throw at me whatever you have that could help (advice, comments, critics), I’m open to (almost) anything :-).

Thanks in advance guys.
Alex.

Seems like you’ve already made up your mind on question 2. I agree with you. Don’t be afraid to increase if the gains slow.

Question 1 I’d say it seems intuitive to have carbs in your body as fuel before exercising.

You got me on that last one, was pretty stupid .I thought I read such a plan in a carbs cycling guide, after rechecking, well I was wrong :c

However on off days, a P+F breakfast should be fine right?

Thanks.

Your V is nonexistant. You rely mainly on bench pressing flat at best ~ your incline is weaker then any other press. your arms are tiny.

Therefore if your upper body is that unbalanced ~ I don’t have to see your wheels ~ balance it out or get stronger everywhere.

[quote]kinein wrote:
Your V is nonexistant. You rely mainly on bench pressing flat at best ~ your incline is weaker then any other press. your arms are tiny.

Therefore if your upper body is that unbalanced ~ I don’t have to see your wheels ~ balance it out or get stronger everywhere. [/quote]

Wow that helped ^^'.

I mean, I’m not sarcastic at all, you got a good point there. At my level, better train while giving it everything to grow everywhere.

Your nutrition is not at all helpfull :slight_smile:

P+F could be a Big Mac for all we know.

Whats your actual breakdown ??

As for your training… if it works keep doing it. Bit of an odd program though :slight_smile:

Ok,

For the training, well I am not accustomed with splits lets be honest, I wanted to start with antagonist muscles (and then added extra abs and sh*t).
So the basic plan was:
Chest/back, Biceps/triceps, Quadri/Hamstrings, Shoulders

Nutrition wise I will try to keep it as clean as possible:
Turkey, low fat ham, low fat cottage cheese, pasta, berries, eggs, walnuts, olive/salmon/walnuts oil.
To drive me all week I’ll allow myself one cheat in the weekend, like a pudding or something like that (yay, that’s actually my idea of cheat, its my favorite food ^^') and 1-2 glasses (not more!) of wine if going out.

So on a training day nutrition would be:

Breakfast: ham/eggs/mushrooms/berries
-Training-
Post WO Shake: Whey+dextrose
1h later: Pasta + turkey + veggies
Afternoon snack: cottage cheese + berries
Dinner: ham+veggies+oil
Eve snack: Walnuts + Turkey(or something else with protein)
Before Bed: Casein shake.

Well now on an off day it looks a bit the same with less carbs obviously and a bit less of protein also. I’have got a difference of ~500kcal between both types of days.

And well, never again will I set foot in a M&D :smiley: (worst thing was that I used to be still hungry after this crap).

[quote]AlexD wrote:

Nutrition wise I will try to keep it as clean as possible:
Turkey, low fat ham, low fat cottage cheese, pasta, berries, eggs, walnuts, olive/salmon/walnuts oil.

Breakfast: ham/eggs/mushrooms/berries
-Training-
Post WO Shake: Whey+dextrose
1h later: Pasta + turkey + veggies
Afternoon snack: cottage cheese + berries
Dinner: ham+veggies+oil
Eve snack: Walnuts + Turkey(or something else with protein)
Before Bed: Casein shake.

[/quote]

Ok… do you write down your nutrition for the week ahead or do you pick n mix stuff ?

As in do you know how much turkey you eat or how much pasta ?

Or do you go by visual looking ?

I ask as if you have a wild flucuation every day, then how do you know how much you need …

If you do have a pre planned meal schedule mind writing down WHAT your eating and not just the ingredients :slight_smile:

And 1 more question … how long are you training ?

I started this new schedule this morning and it lasted 1h10-15 including changing and warming up (it should not be too much).

Diet wise, I attached a pictured of a sample training day, I do calculate quantities and such in advance but did not post it well, as its not in english ^^'.

Column go that way food-kcal-prot-carbs-fat. I attached both samples, with morning and afternoon training (its usually morning except on saturdays as the gym only opens in the afternoon). Food choices should be ok, just let me know if something retains your attention concerning quantities.

ps: I can edit it in english too if you want :smiley: (i’m in a hurry at the minute but if you don’t get it, i’ll do that later).

My eyesight is good but not THAT good HA

You might wanna retype it in BIGGER letters lol its like size 2 or 4 !

Arf it rescaled it when I uploaded the pic xD. Please follow this link. Sorry…

Sorry lol i did german in school not french :slight_smile:

This is becoming quite a mission ^^

Here’s the brand new version, should be easier :smiley:

(I also took german first :s)