T Nation

New Rules of Lifting

Just a note on this book, which I purchased earlier this year. I have been lifting for some time and have a fairly extensive collection of books on weight training / bodybuilding so I do have a good basis for comparison.

AC gives us a variety of programs for strength, hypertrophy and fat burning. His ideas about exercise selection, rep ranges, etc make sense. More importantly, they work.

I am on my third cycle of workouts from AC’s latest, and the results are very good.

I started with the Fat Burn 1, then did Hypertrophy 1, and began FB 3 last week.

Those of you that work out in crowded gyms may have some problems with some of the super and giant sets in the FB programs due to the number and variety of exercises required, but I love it so far.

I have been following the FB workouts with a 5 minute rest, and then 20 minutes on the StairMaster (the real one, like an escalator from hell, not the “pedal” type).

I am dropping fat quickly, and my arms and neck have actually increased in size. This with almost no direct arm work - not a surprise to many here, I am sure.
At the end of my workouts, the sweat is literally running off me onto the stairs. It feels fantastic!

Some T-Nation readers will find parts of the book lacking, esp. the somewhat rudimentary nutrition section, but overall it is worth many times its purchase price.

I have to think that this book, combined with Berardi’s Precision Nutrition, would be a fantastic Xmas present for any lifter.
Highly recommended.

I agree completely.

Although I’m not using the workouts, this is one of the best books I’ve read. I highly recommend it to all beginners and intermediate lifters. Advanced lifters may not get as much out of it, but it’s definitely a good book for the library.

There are few books I recommend to people (especially beginners), and this one is on my top three.

I gave a copy of the book to my brother, and he is making incredible progress and finally understands what I’ve been trying to tell him for years!

I, too, am following AC’s workout (I am the Dad who has a ton of commitments example). Great stuff!!! Good luck with the workouts.

Mike