New Routine?

Hey, I started on a routine that Gerdy came up with for me when I started training.
It was 2 body parts a day and each body part gets trained once a week one week and twice a week the next week. It had back/arms, chest/shoulders, and leg days on a 5 day a week routine.

I switched it to back with shoulders and chest with arms and my shoulder press nearly doubled. Also, I switched it so back/shoulders is always twice a week and chest/arms is once. I felt that training arms directly twice a week when they’re being used on other days too is overkill.

Also, I can’t push more, or as much as, I pull. I need to do pull:push in at least a 2:1 ratio or my back starts feeling weird. I can’t explain it, but my body just likes it better that way.

So, this has been my routine and I’ve put on almost 50lbs with it:
Monday: back/shoulders
Tuesday: legs
Wednesday: chest/arms
Thursday: off
Friday: back/shoulders
Saturday: legs
Sunday: off

On Saturday, My legs weren’t ready to be trained again and I didn’t have time for shoulders that Friday, only back, so I did shoulders alone on Saturday.

Today, my shoulders are sore for the first time that I can remember. I did machine lat raises for the first time and felt those very nicely, but I think that training just one body part a day would let me focus more on it, you know, concentrating the love. Also, my back/shoulders workouts have been nearing 2+ hours and it just seems too long.

So, here’s my questions… Can I still make progress training each body part only once a week? Legs would still be twice a week if they’re ready for day 2. I’ve been making progress on my chest and arms doing them only once a week, but I’ve never done one body part a day. What should I do?

Also, if I switch to one body part a week, how will I maintain my 2:1 back:chest training ratio? I don’t know what to do. Help please?
Thanks

[quote]Artem wrote:

So, here’s my questions… Can I still make progress training each body part only once a week? [/quote]
Simple answer is yes.

[quote]
Also, if I switch to one body part a week, how will I maintain my 2:1 back:chest training ratio? I don’t know what to do. Help please?
Thanks [/quote]

Stop with the technicality, stop being a bitch and just lift. A very good lesson I learned long ago.

If its working, don’t fix it.

Perhaps split up the workout (back/shoulders) into am/pm or reduce volume to up the weights used.

Many will say that 1 day/week is okay.

What are you doing for back on day 1? I’m just curious because I do rackpulls and there’s no way my back is ready for legs (which usually has RDL’s in there) in 24 hrs.

As for the 2:1 ratio, ever consider doing back one day and then back/chest (as antagonist sets) the second day?

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
If its working, don’t fix it.

Perhaps split up the workout (back/shoulders) into am/pm or reduce volume to up the weights used.

Many will say that 1 day/week is okay.

What are you doing for back on day 1? I’m just curious because I do rackpulls and there’s no way my back is ready for legs (which usually has RDL’s in there) in 24 hrs.

As for the 2:1 ratio, ever consider doing back one day and then back/chest (as antagonist sets) the second day?[/quote]

My back/shoulders day is
wide grip lat pull downs
close grip lat pull downs
straight bar cable rows
T-bar cable rows

dumbbell shoulder press
machine lat raises (did these for the first time yesterday and loved them)
I switch up one arm front dumbbell raises and barbell front raises
reverse machine flys for rear delts
face pulls to finish off (did these for the first time yesterday too)

Legs the next day is squats, leg press, and leg curls.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Artem wrote:

So, here’s my questions… Can I still make progress training each body part only once a week?
Simple answer is yes.

Thanks

Stop with the technicality, stop being a bitch and just lift. A very good lesson I learned long ago.
[/quote]

While that’s very manly advice, I need to train back more than chest or it doesn’t feel right. I’ve had a chest imbalance and still have back problems. It’s not fun and I won’t make it worse.

Anybody? Any advice on this at all?