New Routine, Help Appreciated

Well I tried ws4sb for almost a month and I never really got into it. I may be ignorant but I just don’t like switching around body parts on the same day. So, I went back to creating my own.
I have two goals which are equally as important: Strength and mass. I know everyone says that, but that’s how it goes.

Stats:
213 lbs
Squat- about 375
Bench- 255
Deadlift- about 500

Goals:
Squat- 405
Bench- 315
Deadlift- 550

Diet: Lots of cals from clean ‘bulking’ foods.

I’d most like to see my chest improve in strength and mass.

(lifts with multiple warm up sets are based on the pyramid idea)
Monday
Squat- 4 warm up sets to 1 or 2 working sets of 5rm
Raised rear leg DB lunges- 3 sets of 12
Ham/leg curl- 3 sets of 12
Leg Extension- 3 sets of 12
Calf raise variations- 3 sets of 8

Wednesday
Flat BB Bench- 4 warm up sets to 1 or 2 working sets of 5rm
Incline DB Bench- 3 sets of 12
Gironda Dips/Gironda Neck Press- 3 sets of 8
DB Flies- 3 sets of 8
Tricep variations- 3 sets of 8

Friday
Deadlift/Rack Pull- 4 warm up sets to 1 or 2 working sets of 5rm
Chin ups- 2 sets to failure
Lat Pull Down- 2 sets of 8
Seated Row/BB Row- 3 sets of 8
BB Shrugs- 3 sets of 12
Bicep variations- as needed

Saturday/Sunday
DB Mil Press- 3 sets of 12
BB Mil Press- 3 sets of 8
Upright Row- 3 sets of 8
Cuff work- as needed
30 minutes of deep stretching

Let me know if you guys think this plan is a good fit for my goals.

I assume no replies means I’m good to go? No?

Well you seem to know what you are doing, which is why I don’t think you’ve gotten any replies. haha

The only thing I would say is make sure you are choosing your exercises appropriately… meaning they should hit the muscle directly, yes, but the most beneficial exercises are going to be the ones you can add weight to at the fastest rate. This is largely a personal thing, though… and for the most part it looks like you are good to go man.

Like Mr. Popular said, just by looking at those lifts and that program it’s pretty obvious that you know what you’re doing. If you find that you really enjoy/get good results from high volume (body part split) programs, then stick with what works for you.

That said, I honestly think you could improve even faster with a different program. But I’m not going to push my own preferences/experience on you.

If you’re interested either ask or PM me. Otherwise just give the above program everything you’ve got.

Good luck.

Yeah what do you have in mind? I’m open to anything.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
Well I tried ws4sb for almost a month and I never really got into it. I may be ignorant but I just don’t like switching around body parts on the same day. So, I went back to creating my own.
I have two goals which are equally as important: Strength and mass. I know everyone says that, but that’s how it goes.

Stats:
213 lbs
Squat- about 375
Bench- 255
Deadlift- about 500

Goals:
Squat- 405
Bench- 315
Deadlift- 550

Diet: Lots of cals from clean ‘bulking’ foods.

I’d most like to see my chest improve in strength and mass.

(lifts with multiple warm up sets are based on the pyramid idea)
Monday
Squat- 4 warm up sets to 1 or 2 working sets of 5rm
Raised rear leg DB lunges- 3 sets of 12
Ham/leg curl- 3 sets of 12
Leg Extension- 3 sets of 12
Calf raise variations- 3 sets of 8
[/quote]
Lose the leg extensions and replace with Good-Mornings or Romanian Dead lifts.

I’d pick two out of the four chest exercises and work the two harder and longer. Honestly the chest just doesn’t need this much variation. I used to do this and never got anywhere. You can even switch up between the 4 from week to week.

Pick lat pull downs or pull ups, not both. Work more sets on the one.

I’ll be honest with you…I don’t think this is the best idea for your goals. The purpose of these isolation movements is to bring up weak points from a body building perspective, not to build a program around a whole bunch of them.
Problem 1 is that you are working each muscle once a week. This is going to make progress slooooooow.
Problem 2, strength comes from working things as a system, not working each muscle in the system individually.
Problem 3, each muscle group, except for legs, is basically getting 7 days rest. It’s rare that you work a muscle so hard that 7 days is required for resting it. If you need 7 days rest it’s usually because your nervous system is trashed, not your muscles. Why don’t you try an upper/lower split. You will hit every muscle at least twice a week which is twice as often as you are hitting them now.
For instance:
Monday - Legs:
Squats
Bulgarian split squats
Good Mornings
Leg Curls
Calf Raises

Wednesday - Upper body
Pull ups
Flat Bench
One-arm dumbbell rows
Overhead press
–Finish alternating heavy dumbbell curls and skull crushers.

Friday - Lower body
Dead lifts
Leg press
Leg curls
calf raises

Sat/Sun - Upper body
Clean & Press
Lat pull
Dips
Suppianated grip chins ups

Throw in 10 minutes of isolation work of your choosing at the end of each session and you’ll be good. I left the set/rep scheme up to you.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
Yeah what do you have in mind? I’m open to anything.[/quote]

Post your age, starting weight/current weight, and years of serious training in the “Trying DoggCrapp Training” thread. If you meet the requirements, I’d strongly suggest giving DC a go. I’ve never tried any program (and I’ve tried a lot of them) that compares to DC in terms of strength and mass gains.

You’ll eventually need to read the IM forum if you want to really learn about DC. But those guys tend to be harder on newbies than guys who regularly post on the DC thread here.

If you’re not ready yet, then I’d suggest giving your routine a go (you could still incorporate some DC principles, like the extreme stretching to the routine).

pat36: Do you weigh more than 213lbs?
Can you Squat 375, Bench 255, and Deadlift 500?

I’m merely asking out of sheer personal curiosity.

I read your first line if stats and the first thing that came to mind is how do you weigh 213 and you can only bench 255, yet you can deadlift 500? I mean, in all honesty, what is the problem man, that makes no sense to me. Not trying to attack you, i’m just really lost.

I think my biggest problem is my chest. I can make strength gains with anything other than chest as long as I lift heavy and hard. I’ve literally been at 255 on my bench press since I was 17, 4 years ago. When I was 17 I probably couldn’t squat 225.

It’s so god dammed annoying to have a puny chest. Oh, and I’ve tried all of the “6 weeks to bigger chest!” stuff…

How long have you been squatting, Deadlifting & Benching for? If these have been the staple exercises you’ve been doing for years it might be an idea to designa a program around variations of these exercises ie Split Squat w/ heel raised, Incline Dumbell Press’s and try a different grip & Snatch Deadlift from a podium. Try switch it around for a month and you never know, when you get back to squatting, benching and deadlifting you could reach them targets!!

[quote]Davenegger wrote:
How long have you been squatting, Deadlifting & Benching for? If these have been the staple exercises you’ve been doing for years it might be an idea to designa a program around variations of these exercises ie Split Squat w/ heel raised, Incline Dumbell Press’s and try a different grip & Snatch Deadlift from a podium. Try switch it around for a month and you never know, when you get back to squatting, benching and deadlifting you could reach them targets!![/quote]

I have been benching since forever. I hit my first plateau when I was about 16 at right around 225 max, a year later I was at 255 and I’ve been stuck there since. I go so frustrated that I switched to dumbells just to maintain and shape up what muscle I already did have because I felt like it was hopeless to put on more mass there.

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
I read your first line if stats and the first thing that came to mind is how do you weigh 213 and you can only bench 255, yet you can deadlift 500? I mean, in all honesty, what is the problem man, that makes no sense to me. Not trying to attack you, i’m just really lost.[/quote]

I know man. I’ve been trying to figure it out for a while. The only thing I can come up with is that I’ve always been tricep dominant so maybe that has hurt my chest growth. Even now when I do dumbell press I have to consciously remind myself to use less arm and more chest. I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that I can only bench 255 or the fact that my 255 chest looks terrible in relation to my other body parts. My room mates can’t squat over 225 but they can bench as much as me :frowning:

[quote]mr popular wrote:
pat36: Do you weigh more than 213lbs?
Can you Squat 375, Bench 255, and Deadlift 500?

I’m merely asking out of sheer personal curiosity.[/quote]

Nope, and what does it matter? I have to fight vigorously for everything I get. The guy asked for advise and I gave him some. Do you have a problem with what I told him? Is there anything that I said that would steer him wrong?

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
I think my biggest problem is my chest. I can make strength gains with anything other than chest as long as I lift heavy and hard. I’ve literally been at 255 on my bench press since I was 17, 4 years ago. When I was 17 I probably couldn’t squat 225.

It’s so god dammed annoying to have a puny chest. Oh, and I’ve tried all of the “6 weeks to bigger chest!” stuff…[/quote]

Have you tried training it more frequently, rather than beating it to death in one session a week?

The sample routine you gave him is just a regurgitation of all the crap I see spewed out by these training gurus.
It isnt tailored to the OP’s actual needs at all.

I see so much of this on these forums lately… everyone has this group mentality, and if anyone is doing something different from what their favorite author is doing (who, oftentimes, is no more impressive in development than their nuthugging followers)–even if they have had EXCELLENT results doing what they are doing – it is assumed that they are just ignorant and everything needs to be changed around into some cookie cutter training method that is suppose to produce better results.

But where are these results…?
Have you achieved incredible results using the methods you’ve recommended? Your powerlifts aren’t as strong as the OP’s, and I’m going to assume based on your response that you don’t weigh as much as he does.

So what kind of advice are you really giving here?

WHERES THE FUCKING BEEF?
That is what I want to know

[quote]mr popular wrote:
The sample routine you gave him is just a regurgitation of all the crap I see spewed out by these training gurus.

I see so much of this on these forums lately… everyone has this group mentality, and if anyone is doing something different from what their favorite author is doing (who, oftentimes, is no more impressive in development than their nuthugging followers)–even if they have had EXCELLENT results doing what they are doing – it is assumed that they are just ignorant and everything needs to be changed around into some cookie cutter training method that is suppose to produce better results.

Have you achieved incredible results using the methods you’ve recommended? Your powerlifts aren’t as strong as the OP’s, and I’m going to assume based on your response that you don’t weigh as much as he does.

WHERES THE FUCKING BEEF?
That is what I want to know[/quote]

So what should I do?

[quote]mr popular wrote:

WHERES THE FUCKING BEEF?
That is what I want to know[/quote]

Bullshit, I gave him a routine based on what he is asking for. It is a sample, a suggestion. You know why it’s a regurgitation of many training guru’s philosophies? Because they work. I am not going to reinvent the wheel when there is plenty of stuff that works, and much of it is new. I do things very similar to what I recommended, but he wanted a split across 4 days.

Some of my lifts are actually better than his, but that’s none of your business and I don’t have to justify myself to your ass. He nor, you have to take into consideration anything I said, so why the fuck does it bother you? If you have better advise then give it. If you want to give some never before seen revolutionary advise that nobody else knows; if you know the “secret” than by all means fill us in. I am always willing to learn something new. So what do you recommend? And why is your recommendation going to work better than mine?

Any other opinions?