okay so my old routine was
Chest/tri
back/bi
legs/shoulders
off

Reasons for routine change.

1. Burnt out

2. need more off days

3. need more time to dedicate to cardio (still dieting)

4. want to give legs their own day

new routine!!!

chest/bi
shoulders
off
back/tri
legs
off
Repeat

okay, so now the question: In my mind since I am lowering frequency my workout volume should obviously increase!

so I’ll use chest for example lets say on my first routine (chest/tri:back/bi:leg/shoulders)
I was doing 9 sets for chest since I’m adding an extra two days between workouts for a total of 6 days between increasing my chest workout to 12 sets should be cool right or more like 15 sets? or less what do you guys think?

second question. okay so I’m trying to prevent my elbow tendonitis from ever coming back so how does this sound for triceps.

1.Rope tricep extensions 3 sets of 20 (warm up/pump blood into the muscles/pre-exhaust)

2.Hammer strength tricep dips 3 sets of 10-12

3.pjr pullovers 3 sets of 15 (continue to pre-exhaust for the next movement)

4.close grip bench press (pre exhaust tri last movement so that the chest doesn’t over power the triceps) 3x10

You admit you’re feeling burnt out and need more off days. The fact that you’re body’s telling you that you need another off day means you should probably stick to the same volume on each of the days, right? Else you’re defeating the purpose of an extra off day =/

Also, if you’re tossing around 9 v. 12 work sets in your head right now, why not just settle on 9-12? For example, set out to do 3 exercises for that muscle group, 3-4 sets each. If you’re feeling super sexy that day, go for the extra set on all them! Flexibility (but not too much!) is a good thing while cutting. There will be days you feel like shit…and those random days you’re completely carb depleted but for some reason pull PRs out of your ass and wanna keep going.

Here’s some more prehab oriented info on triceps: 4 Steps to Fix Your Triceps

my logic is similar to jskrabac, one of the reasons you’re switching routines is because you need more rest so it makes sense to keep volume the same

Either way its better to do too little than too much, so I would stick with the 9 sets. You can always increase it after a couple weeks if you feel you need more.

I say start it at 9 sets and then increase it every week. This will give you some extra time to recuperate.

Also going from 9 sets to 15 or so might kill your poundages. My friend thinks he hits sick volume for chest, but after a few hard pressing sets, he’s doing light cable and DB flyes which are about as hard as pushups from the knee.

Is there anyway you can move the shoulders to another day so it’s not right after Chest? You might as well give yourself at least 36 hours of rest before using your pushing muscles and bicipital tendon again if you’re at a 1x a week frequency.

Example:

Day1- Chest/Bicep
Day2- Quads/Hams
Day3- Delts/Traps
Day4- Off
Day5- Back/Tricep
Day6- Off
Day7- Off

Also,you could switch the days so you don’t do Back the day before Legs.You will have a fatigued back , of which back is heavily used in Squats (Sacrospinalis,Transversospinalis,Capitis muscles,Lats,Traps etc)

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
You admit you’re feeling burnt out and need more off days. The fact that you’re body’s telling you that you need another off day means you should probably stick to the same volume on each of the days, right? Else you’re defeating the purpose of an extra off day =/

Also, if you’re tossing around 9 v. 12 work sets in your head right now, why not just settle on 9-12? For example, set out to do 3 exercises for that muscle group, 3-4 sets each. If you’re feeling super sexy that day, go for the extra set on all them! Flexibility (but not too much!) is a good thing while cutting. There will be days you feel like shit…and those random days you’re completely carb depleted but for some reason pull PRs out of your ass and wanna keep going.

Here’s some more prehab oriented info on triceps: 4 Steps to Fix Your Triceps

sorry I’m bad at getting back to these things.

okay so I don’t feel like I need more recovery between muscle groups for instance from chest workout to chest workout. I need more days off in general. Just saying working out 6 days a week is too much and i need to maybe tone it down to 5 days a week, but I want to make sure I’m doing enough to need an extra 2-3 days more of recovery simply because if it only takes me 2 days to recover then obviously I need to bump up my volume to something that takes longer to recover from.

but yeah I’ll probably keep the same volume then every couple of weeks add a couple sets and slowly build up.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:
Is there anyway you can move the shoulders to another day so it’s not right after Chest? You might as well give yourself at least 36 hours of rest before using your pushing muscles and bicipital tendon again if you’re at a 1x a week frequency.

Example:

Day1- Chest/Bicep
Day2- Quads/Hams
Day3- Delts/Traps
Day4- Off
Day5- Back/Tricep
Day6- Off
Day7- Off

[/quote]

–I want to repeat on the 7th day not take off not exactly 1x a week frequency.

–okay so my shoulder workouts do not involve much pressing. They are mostly lateral raises at different angles to hit each head and shrugs, with very light db ohp at the very end.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:
Also,you could switch the days so you don’t do Back the day before Legs.You will have a fatigued back , of which back is heavily used in Squats (Sacrospinalis,Transversospinalis,Capitis muscles,Lats,Traps etc)[/quote]

–okay so my back workouts are exclusively for lat developement, and specifically do not do any deadlifting or anything involving significant fatigue of other parts of my back. So I do not see how this would affect my squating. Not to mention I don’t really squat heavy. I squat after I do heavy high rep leg press.

honestly, try meadows routine with the articles for 10 weeks

What is 10 weeks in someone’s life? it will change how you look. srs

soooo triceps gets 3 workouts in a week? hell no…

I think about smth like that

1: chest/delts
2: legs
3: off
4: back (and add arms??)
5: arms (or off if needed, or off when arms with back)
6: off
7: repeat

-rope extns - OK
-you should decide - close-grip or hammer dips - I think. And if close-grip THEN so called inhuman close grip press (in smith) should be the way to go.
-after all - pjr pullovers

that’s all.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

–I want to repeat on the 7th day not take off not exactly 1x a week frequency.

–okay so my shoulder workouts do not involve much pressing. They are mostly lateral raises at different angles to hit each head and shrugs, with very light db ohp at the very end.

–okay so my back workouts are exclusively for lat developement, and specifically do not do any deadlifting or anything involving significant fatigue of other parts of my back. So I do not see how this would affect my squating. Not to mention I don’t really squat heavy. I squat after I do heavy high rep leg press.[/quote]

Ah ok,yes that sounds good then =p

Chest/tri
back/bi
legs/shoulders
off

1. Burnt out

2. need more off days

new routine!!!

chest/bi
shoulders
off
back/tri
legs
off
Repeat

okay, so now the question: In my mind since I am lowering frequency my workout volume should obviously increase!

so I’ll use chest for example lets say on my first routine (chest/tri:back/bi:leg/shoulders)
I was doing 9 sets for chest since I’m adding an extra two days between workouts for a total of 6 days between increasing my chest workout to 12 sets should be cool right or more like 15 sets? or less what do you guys think?

second question. okay so I’m trying to prevent my elbow tendonitis from ever coming back so how does this sound for triceps.

1.Rope tricep extensions 3 sets of 20 (warm up/pump blood into the muscles/pre-exhaust)

4.close grip bench press (pre exhaust tri last movement so that the chest doesn’t over power the triceps) 3x10

[/quote]

Why do you think you were feeling burnt out? Loss of strenght? No motivation? What was the average lenght of your regular workout session?

In my opinion you should increase intensity, not sets/volume. At least that is whats been working for me (and I’ve been there on the volume thing).

[quote]siberian wrote:

soooo triceps gets 3 workouts in a week? hell no…

I think about smth like that

1: chest/delts
2: legs
3: off
4: back (and add arms??)
5: arms (or off if needed, or off when arms with back)
6: off
7: repeat

-rope extns - OK
-you should decide - close-grip or hammer dips - I think. And if close-grip THEN so called inhuman close grip press (in smith) should be the way to go.
-after all - pjr pullovers

that’s all.

[/quote]

thanks man yeah i just went with rope ext, hammer strength dips and pjr pullovers. solid tri workout after back today

[quote]R L wrote:

Chest/tri
back/bi
legs/shoulders
off

1. Burnt out

2. need more off days

new routine!!!

chest/bi
shoulders
off
back/tri
legs
off
Repeat

[/quote]

Why do you think you were feeling burnt out? Loss of strenght? No motivation? What was the average lenght of your regular workout session?

In my opinion you should increase intensity, not sets/volume. At least that is whats been working for me (and I’ve been there on the volume thing).[/quote]

just that feeling of OMFG I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO THE GYM TODAY, every single day.

oh and i have a feeling my fat loss will be stimulated when i take a little extra time off, I don’t really feel like explaining this though. I just notice on a day off I’m always way more hungry and my weight the next day is always a couple lbs less than on training days.