New Routine, Comments Appreciated

After taking a couple years off from lifting it’s time to revisit, with a new routine. I’m trying to lose 20-30lbs as well. I’d like to post what I thought was a good start for comments. I have a marcy 9010 smith machine and an elliptical. The routine shown is really close to the Waterbury method.

Day1: Barbell Back Squats, Bent-Over Barbell or Dumbbell Rows Skull Crushers, Standing Barbell Curls, Hanging Leg Raises

Sets: 10
Reps: 3
Rest: 60 seconds between sets

Day2: Cardio

Day3: Bench Press, Romanian Deadlift, Standing Barbell Military Press, Standing Calf Raises, Upright Rows, Tricep Pressdowns

Day4: Cardio

Day5: Chin-ups, Decline Press, Hammer Curls, Seated Calf Raises, Leg Curls, Lunges

Day6: Cardio

Day7: Off

For the Cardio I was planning on doing 1 min hard, 1 min easy for 30 min. Protein shake after every lift day (should I have a shake on non lift days?) Good start???

1. I am going to assume that if your doing 10 sets of 3 reps that the goal is power/strength. In which case 60 seconds is not enough of a break, and if it is enough of a break your not lifting heavy enough.

2. Yikes 60 sets in one workout, hope your workout logbook is thick.

3. Sell that smith machine and buy a power rack.

4. Your only giving yourself one day off. I feel you need more. Maybe instead if you stuck a cardio session at the opposite end of the workout for that day it would be better.

[quote]yasser wrote:

1. I am going to assume that if your doing 10 sets of 3 reps that the goal is power/strength. In which case 60 seconds is not enough of a break, and if it is enough of a break your not lifting heavy enough.

2. Yikes 60 sets in one workout, hope your workout logbook is thick.

3. Sell that smith machine and buy a power rack.

4. Your only giving yourself one day off. I feel you need more. Maybe instead if you stuck a cardio session at the opposite end of the workout for that day it would be better.[/quote]

Yeah I think I’ll throw another day off in there… Also, the 10X3 (and 4X6) I was told is a more effective way to build muscle and burn fat. Some people swear by it, I’ve never tried it but am about to.

I think the intent is to use closer to maximal weights by less reps more sets thus on a calorie deficit you would be more likely to maintain muscle mass.

I personally use the 10x3 for maximal weights but with longer rest periods.

Either way is fine I guess. I am not a personal trainer, was only giving my opinion.