New Routine, Back to Basics

Ive had success over the last 6 months with Bill Starr 5X5, and then Waterburys TBT. Quite simply, i have decided my basic lifts need to go up and i plan to return to TBT after i have increased my max’s and do it again with the heavier weights. This is my split routine and any comments are welcome.

Day 1 (Chest/Quads)
Flat Bench
(followed by Incline or decline DB Press same reps)
ATG Squats
Leg Press
Pullups (wide grip)
Triceps

Day 2 (Shoulders, Back/hamstring)
Standing BB Military Press
(followed by couple of sets behind the neck with lighter weight and side raises - 5 reps and 3 sets)
Deadlift
Squats/lunges (2 or 3 sets 10 reps)
Chin ups
Biceps

And thats it. Rotate these days. I will usually workout 5 of 10 days (every other day) and then take 2 full days off and start again. For me, working each body part only once a week doesnt really produce much increase in, well… anything really - for me anyway. As you can see my big lifts are followed by some lighter work on a similar movement to really get some nice burns and pump going. I find this usefull for say, squats - where i have maxed out everything (my legs hurt, my back is done, my ass even hurts and my head is spinning) and i use leg presses or leg extentsions just to really isolate my quads and get 110% out of them. You get the idea.

Then there is the rep/set scheme… this is the part where progression comes in: When i can do 5x5 reps on any of the big lifts i will increase the reps every workout where possible. So after 5x5 bench for instance I will 4 sets 6. Then 3 sets of 7 or 8. When i can do 3 sets of 8 on any weight with perfect form I move the weight up a small percent and go back to 5x5 and repeat the procedure. I might get sets of 7, 6, 5 out on a lift, but i wont increase anything until i hit 8x8. That also seems to benefit my form. 3x8 perfect reps signals time to add more weight.

Any comments welcome!

You can get as big and strong as you want to on a routine like that. Good choice.

My goal is lean muscle size and I work a similar routine but take more rest days (2-3 days of rest in between sessions).

Here it is currently:

Day 1:

Clean & Push Press: 7-10 sets of 4-6 reps
Squats: 5-7 sets of 6-8 reps - 1 set of 20
T-Bar Rows: 4-5 hard sets of 8 reps or so
Close Grip Bench: 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
Calves, Abs, & Forearm work.

Day 2: Rest
Day 3 Rest
Day 4:

Deadlifts: 6-10 sets of 5-10 reps
Bench Press: 7-10 sets of 5-6 reps
Incline DB Press: 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps
Curls: Whatever I feel like that day
Calves, Abs, & Forearm work.

Yeah the good thing about it is that you have all your big lifts covered in 2 days. So Bench/military/squat/deadlift with pullups. Theres always good time to do whatever afterwards, biceps/triceps etc… take your pic. I plan to go back to Total Body Training when all my basics have gone up.